Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 07:31 PM   #49
<slayer>

Default Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

I agree with schuey74 and Nv40... There ought to be a setting that at least tries to bring current gen hardware to its knees. I don't think it gives ppl much motivation to go lay down $2-3K on brand new parts to play it just like the others are with old hardware. I don't know if it's possible, but hopefully ID sees the dissatisfaction with the situation and attempts to fix it in some way.

Nv40, I re-downloaded the E3 2003 trailer and noticed what you meant about the machine gun. If you watch the video, you can see that when he is using it-it is cleary a different model for the gun.
<slayer> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:15 PM   #50
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSands
Nv40 is there a way where some one could make a mod to use the better models and textures?

i dont see a reason why it can't be done. Every IDsoftware game released in the past always have been modified for higher graphics. and many custom levels and charaacter models have been done with more detail than the characters that shipped in the retail game. actually i have seen alpha test levels made last year with 1600x1600 high resolution textures. Doom3 support up to 2k x2k high quality textures..this is movie quality graphics ,and up to ~20x times higher than the quality used for Doom3. so imagine the posibilities there.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:51 PM   #51
holmes

The retail game models could definitely benefit from higher polycounts. What they should have done is include 2 different sets of all the in-game models. For the low/mid setting users, give them the low-poly models. The high/ultra setting users get the high-poly models. This should have been very easy to do. As it is the game takes up a relatively small amount of HDD space, approx. 2.2GB.. I think UT2004 is somewhere close to 5GBs if I'm not mistaken. I would gladly trade another gig (though I doubt it would take that much) of HDD space for the option to run high-poly models. I hope the mod community can fix this...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:47 AM   #52
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes
The retail game models could definitely benefit from higher polycounts. What they should have done is include 2 different sets of all the in-game models. For the low/mid setting users, give them the low-poly models. The high/ultra setting users get the high-poly models. This should have been very easy to do. As it is the game takes up a relatively small amount of HDD space, approx. 2.2GB.. I think UT2004 is somewhere close to 5GBs if I'm not mistaken. I would gladly trade another gig (though I doubt it would take that much) of HDD space for the option to run high-poly models. I hope the mod community can fix this...

mmm.. now that im thinking about it.
it might cause great controversy with the multiplayer side.. because the physics engine is per poly hits detection.. and idsofware warned Mods makers to keep in mind the accuray of the physics engine at the time of the characters design. the more polygons and bigger your character is ,the more chances you have to be killed by a bullet by smaller and less detailed oponents.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:35 AM   #53
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
I agree almost wholeheartingly with Nv40. There is absolutely no reason not to offer a higher polygon mode. It's absolutely pathetic that the game is already playable at it's max settings @ 16x12 w/ 4xAA. Having each mode (low, medium, high, & ultra) just correspond to what's being compressed and offer no other enhancements is just plain silly. Why oh why would anyone need any SLI setup for this game......to enable 8x AA?!
Overall the game is great, but the lack of higher polygon count models and higher rez textures is absolutely inexcusable. Someone with a $500 video card should not be seeing virtually the same thing as someone with a $100 one.
Man... that whole post just... surprises me. Weird man... weird.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:07 AM   #54
svetli_pp

With risk to offend you I could not refrain from saying you all are pompous selfish freaks. You don't play the game and enjoy it but you think that when you have mega$ and spend them for pc hardware you should see something better than reality. If you want high poly and enormous tex look around and take it for free( best things in life are free). I read in many forums alot of people saying the game is wonderful and the gameplay is great fun. I personally don't have it yet, but I will soon, and am very happy that ID will allow me to see everything you do with your f****** 500$ cards on my 5900XT. I will play the game and have fun, while you take screenshots and annalize them. I don't even understand how you earn your bundles of money when you have so much free time to engage yourself with such a rubbish.
svetli_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:19 AM   #55
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Calm down bud.. we're just trying to get the most out of our investments. You are honostly coming off as being jealous. Thats fantastic that you get a good experience on your 5900xt, but for those of us with 6800/x800 cards want a little extra eye candy thrown in. Not trying to bitch and moan, but if we don't have high end games to push our cards, whats the point in buying these cards?
Old 08-05-04, 06:16 AM   #56
JumboJack

First of all, the graphics of this game were heavily marketed. To tone them down for the gf4 mx crowd makes sense business wise, but it really hurts the quality of the game. The game's retail graphics do not deserve a 10/10 because of the low rez textures. I saved up to get my nvidia 6800 and this game, and I was let down. Ultra quality is just disappointing.
To svetli:A 9800 pro card can run the game really well and is only $200 dollars. The game cost $55. If you can't afford a $200 vid card, how can you buy a $60 game? Its probably because you are pirating it...
JumboJack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-04, 07:06 AM   #57
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

Here's a thread where a guy is using the

seta image_roundDown "0"

command to increase the visuals.

http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum9/HTML/000249.html

Looks like the engine is very configurable and they chose to tone down a few settings to get it playable on a majority of systems.

There are also commands listed there to turn on player shadows etc.

Upsetchaps tweak guide.

http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Doom3/Doom3Guide.htm

Last edited by Vapor Trail; 08-05-04 at 07:19 AM.
Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:22 AM   #58
evilchris

Imagine that, a John Carmack engine is configurable =)

I can't believe people are getting so worked up over this when it's obviously very easy to increase the visuals.
Old 08-05-04, 11:36 AM   #59
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
Man... that whole post just... surprises me. Weird man... weird.
What's weird is that every other Carmack engine has brought the current gen. of graphics cards to its knees and this one does not. Setting the game to "low" and enabling 8x AF in the control panel gives me double the performance of running the game on high, with 8xAF being forced by the game - and there is really very very very little difference in the IQ.

I keep hearing how this game is going to sell tons of video cards, but I don't see the need at all. If anything, this game is going to help move tons of ram, which is where the real bottleneck is.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:45 AM   #60
evilchris

The engine is capable of bring cards to their knees, just the game doesn't.