Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 11:52 AM   #61
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: why Doom3 its much faster than the pre-alpha?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetli_pp
With risk to offend you I could not refrain from saying you all are pompous selfish freaks. You don't play the game and enjoy it but you think that when you have mega$ and spend them for pc hardware you should see something better than reality. If you want high poly and enormous tex look around and take it for free( best things in life are free). I read in many forums alot of people saying the game is wonderful and the gameplay is great fun. I personally don't have it yet, but I will soon, and am very happy that ID will allow me to see everything you do with your f****** 500$ cards on my 5900XT. I will play the game and have fun, while you take screenshots and annalize them. I don't even understand how you earn your bundles of money when you have so much free time to engage yourself with such a rubbish.
Beleive me, I am very happy that people with all levels of graphics cards are going to be able to truly enjoy this game. But, it's only common sense that us gamers who dished out $400 - $500 for new top of line graphics cards to expect a level of detail not attainable on other hardware - it's just the nature of this business, like it or not. That we get uncompressed textures that look almost identical to the compressed versions is absolutely useless - a total waste of state of the art graphics cards.
Work smart, not hard. Take a little time off the games, brainstorm, make money, and then have all the time you need to analyze screenshots or whatever floats your boat.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:54 AM   #62
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
With risk to offend you I could not refrain from saying you all are pompous selfish freaks. You don't play the game and enjoy it but you think that when you have mega$ and spend them for pc hardware you should see something better than reality. If you want high poly and enormous tex look around and take it for free( best things in life are free). I read in many forums alot of people saying the game is wonderful and the gameplay is great fun. I personally don't have it yet, but I will soon, and am very happy that ID will allow me to see everything you do with your f****** 500$ cards on my 5900XT. I will play the game and have fun, while you take screenshots and annalize them. I don't even understand how you earn your bundles of money when you have so much free time to engage yourself with such a rubbish.
I'm not offended for the simple fact that my machine is at least superior to your by virtue of the graphics hardware. I think jakUp and schuey have very valid points, however. I firmly believe that as many people as possible should be able to enjoy great games, but there should not have to be any compromises made for those of us with the highest-end hardware. We've invested thousands of dollars in our hardware, and we want to be able to get the most out of them. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more. We didn't pay for first-class hardware to be rewarded with coach games (which have been hyped as first-class).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:55 AM   #63
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
The engine is capable of bring cards to their knees, just the game doesn't.
Obviously, but did you buy your 6800 to play Doom 3 now or Quake 4 in a year?
Old 08-05-04, 12:14 PM   #64
evilchris

I bought it to play D3 at 16x12 with a little AA and maintain playability. It got me just that. Older cards could not.
Old 08-05-04, 12:23 PM   #65
svetli_pp

I wonder, don't you boys have girlfriends to spend thousands of dolars on, instead on playing just a single game. I asure you that if I'd tossed few grands on a pc just because doom3 is released, I would have been very picky like you I guess. I'm not jealous about you having such rigs (maybe a little only) and I actually think it's great that the rumours about doom3 playable on high 1024 only on 6800Ultra didn't turn out to be truth. And BTW Doom3 graphics is not about high res textures but about simulation of real world light and shadow. I'm sure when hardware catches up(or rather more people catch up with hardware) there will be games with that same engine with much detailed textures and with splendid outdoor environments Gaming is like everything else in life- when you so much ahead you are hindered by the average level. Unfortunately!
svetli_pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:25 PM   #66
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
I bought it to play D3 at 16x12 with a little AA and maintain playability. It got me just that. Older cards could not.
Well, if you're interested in the higher rez textures which your 6800 can handle then go here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...839#post393839

One of my two major complaints has been addressed and you have to wonder why these textures are not automatically set to this rez when playing on High or Ultra High.
Old 08-05-04, 12:33 PM   #67
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
I wonder, don't you boys have girlfriends to spend thousands of dolars on, instead on playing just a single game. I asure you that if I'd tossed few grands on a pc just because doom3 is released, I would have been very picky like you I guess. I'm not jealous about you having such rigs (maybe a little only) and I actually think it's great that the rumours about doom3 playable on high 1024 only on 6800Ultra didn't turn out to be truth. And BTW Doom3 graphics is not about high res textures but about simulation of real world light and shadow. I'm sure when hardware catches up(or rather more people catch up with hardware) there will be games with that same engine with much detailed textures and with splendid outdoor environments Gaming is like everything else in life- when you so much ahead you are hindered by the average level. Unfortunately!
It's my experience that girlfriends depreciate in value even faster than computer hardware. You won't see me dropping thousands on them again anytime soon.
Old 08-05-04, 12:36 PM   #68
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuey74
Well, if you're interested in the higher rez textures which your 6800 can handle then go here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...839#post393839

One of my two major complaints has been addressed and you have to wonder why these textures are not automatically set to this rez when playing on High or Ultra High.
You try that? Does it affect FPS? I don't have much more to spare before I have to drop AA or resolution. Trying to keep it at 30+ minimum.

Old 08-05-04, 12:41 PM   #69
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
You try that? Does it affect FPS? I don't have much more to spare before I have to drop AA or resolution. Trying to keep it at 30+ minimum.
Not yet, just read about it 1/2 an hour ago. I'll be home in about six hours to try it.
Old 08-05-04, 02:04 PM   #70
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Could it be that Doom3 is just programed magnificently? The DooM3 engine looks like it will be a repeat of the Quake engine where games based on it will be able to run on almost any hardware with acceptable performance. Why do you guys believe it has to choke your system? I dont think anyone should think less of it just because it wont run like $h!t on your $2500 system.

It's like saying BF:1942 is a better engine because it will run like crap for people with old hardware and half way decent for those with uber rigs.

If you ask me, its finaly good to see a game that is so well programmed and doesnt need like ten patches to fix hic-ups in the engine which most times come after your done and over the game.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:23 PM   #71
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
Could it be that Doom3 is just programed magnificently? The DooM3 engine looks like it will be a repeat of the Quake engine where games based on it will be able to run on almost any hardware with acceptable performance. Why do you guys believe it has to choke your system? I dont think anyone should think less of it just because it wont run like $h!t on your $2500 system.

It's like saying BF:1942 is a better engine because it will run like crap for people with old hardware and half way decent for those with uber rigs.

If you ask me, its finaly good to see a game that is so well programmed and doesnt need like ten patches to fix hic-ups in the engine which most times come after your done and over the game.
The Quake 1, 2, & 3 engines all destroyed the top of the line hadware in their day. Quake 3 on a TNT2 Ultra running in 32 bit was barely playable @ 800x600. Not until the GF4 series almost three years later was the game playable @ 16x12 with max settings.
The Doom 3 engine looks great and shows great promise, but I don't see how Doom 3, the game, is so magnificantly programmed. The game uses 1 1/2 gigs of memory, yet has low rez textures everywhere. Even with a gig of ram you will experience "hic-ups" occassionaly, the only way around it is more memory.
I am one of the biggest supporters of JC and give him all the credit in the world for all his past accomplishments, including D3. But the fact is that this game was hyped beyond belief for over four years and some parts just fall short of expectations. Me, and a lot of other JC fans just don't want to have to wait until Quake 4, RTCW2, or SOF 3 to see what this engine is capable of, especially when the hardware is available today.
Old 08-05-04, 06:29 PM   #72
Bleeloo

Glad i'm not the only one who thinks Doom3's textures are extremely lacking from the alpha quality and the quality from doom3 publicity shots
Bleeloo is offline   Reply With Quote