Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 05:14 AM   #1
Greg

Default Discovered cause of slow down

The test:

1. Stand in front of the elevator (or some other low detail area) so you get 60fps or similar.
2. Fire the plasma gun repeatedly until you run out of ammo.
3. Watch the frame rate drop down to 30-40fps.
The frame rate will recover over the next few seconds.

After a bunch of experimentation, checking resolution, disabling sound etc. I found it is the decals of all things! Turn them off and the frame rate doesn't change at all. Tested on 1.7 and 2.8ghz computers. Pity there is not a 'low detail decal' option like in previous quake and unreal games.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:13 AM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Discovered cause of slow down

yea, i've been looking at trying to modify the decal settings... i'd like to increase the lifetime of decals myself though lol
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:44 AM   #3
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
yea, i've been looking at trying to modify the decal settings... i'd like to increase the lifetime of decals myself though lol
I don't blame you, pretty much everything from body parts to bullets disapear in a jiffy.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:33 AM   #4
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

found it, g_decals 0 should turn off decals... don't believe there's a way to make them low quality, and i haven't yet figured out how to change the lifetime. i'm not sure if this affects seeing blood or not, since it's a decal, but a decal labeled with the blood category (g_showblood 0 to turn off blood iirc).
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 11:46 AM   #5
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
found it, g_decals 0 should turn off decals... don't believe there's a way to make them low quality, and i haven't yet figured out how to change the lifetime. i'm not sure if this affects seeing blood or not, since it's a decal, but a decal labeled with the blood category (g_showblood 0 to turn off blood iirc).
Kamel, have you any clue on how to keep the dead enemies from evaporating like "Blade". I'd like to see the dead bodies just stay, like you can do in Painkiller.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote