Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 02:00 PM   #1
laffTrax

Default The flashlight

Anybody else play the beta demo? In that version you could shoot WHILE STILL USING THE FLASHLIGHT. Now it seems, you can only do one or the other - not both at the same time. With such a dark game - this kinda sucks.

(minor gripe)

Totally awesome game though. I can't believe we're finally playing it and it lived up to all the hype.
laffTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:04 PM   #2
cam9786

Default Re: The flashlight

Having the flashlight and not the gun at the same time makes it more tense, like you are more vunerable to attacks without the light, it's all to heighten the atmosphere, stop complaining about the flashlight, this is like the 1000 complaint ive heard about how it sucks. It's all to make it more scary.
[B]BFG GeForce 6800GT OC @ 400/1.10 GHz[/B]
40GB Maxtor Hard Drive 7200RPM
17'' Flat-Screen Silver Monitor -KDS Visual Sensations
[B]ASUS A7N8X Motherboard nForce2 Ultra Chipset 400FSB Dual Channel[/B]
[B]Crucial 1024 MB PC3200 DDR 400 RAM[/B]
nForce2 Audio Controller
Labtec Desktop Speakers & Subwoofer
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52 Burner
Large AMD Athlon XP Fan
Large Air Case Fan
Antec True430 430 Watt Power Supply - 20A on 12V line[/SIZE][/B]
[B]3dMark03 -[/B] [URL=http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011]http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011[/URL]

[I][B]Kamel on Kids and Doom 3 -[/B] [/I]

[I]i don't know about you guys, but i'd like to teach my kid that if a demon breaks into our house, you should shoot the bastard... multiple times, until he decinegrates (just to make sure).[/I]

I am 73% addicted to Counterstrike. [url=http://seanism.com/addiction/cs.php]What about you?[/url]
cam9786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:07 PM   #3
laffTrax

Hey cam,

Calm down. It wasn't really a complaint - just an observation of a change made. I'm still, quite happily i might add, enjoying the game regardless.
laffTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 02:48 PM   #4
Seoulstriker

No, I agree with Cam. I can't even count the number of times I had my flashlight out and then something pop out of nowhere and attack me. Reflexively I click the mouse button only to whip the flashlight. Then I'm really thinking "oh s***" to myself. I have to put away the light and bring on some pain!

I think if you had the flashlight attached, it would make the game dramatically less scary. The option to be prepared for anything coming at you is opposed by the option to see ahead and plan ahead. That crucial opposition is critical to some of the atmosphere and tenseness. I'm very glad that they prevented the combination of the two.
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 03:03 PM   #5
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

I agree . it would be better if you can turn ON flash light while using weapons , but its not a problem with me either ways .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 03:16 PM   #6
cam9786

I wasn't pissed off, not directing it toward you . Just I've heard lots of flak about the Flash;oght, and that it's one of the key things in the game, to chnage it would mean less scary, and less scary just isn't Doom 3.
[B]BFG GeForce 6800GT OC @ 400/1.10 GHz[/B]
40GB Maxtor Hard Drive 7200RPM
17'' Flat-Screen Silver Monitor -KDS Visual Sensations
[B]ASUS A7N8X Motherboard nForce2 Ultra Chipset 400FSB Dual Channel[/B]
[B]Crucial 1024 MB PC3200 DDR 400 RAM[/B]
nForce2 Audio Controller
Labtec Desktop Speakers & Subwoofer
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52 Burner
Large AMD Athlon XP Fan
Large Air Case Fan
Antec True430 430 Watt Power Supply - 20A on 12V line[/SIZE][/B]
[B]3dMark03 -[/B] [URL=http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011]http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011[/URL]

[I][B]Kamel on Kids and Doom 3 -[/B] [/I]

[I]i don't know about you guys, but i'd like to teach my kid that if a demon breaks into our house, you should shoot the bastard... multiple times, until he decinegrates (just to make sure).[/I]

I am 73% addicted to Counterstrike. [url=http://seanism.com/addiction/cs.php]What about you?[/url]
cam9786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 03:52 PM   #7
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

solution: get an automatic machine gun and continuously fire.. the flash from the gun will light up the gun, and it will kill whatever you look at!
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 04:19 PM   #8
revbatboy
My cream is fat-free.

Flashlight or gun =
Flashlight and gun =

Old 08-04-04, 04:51 PM   #9
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffTrax
Anybody else play the beta demo?
Im sorry but thats a far cry (heh) from a DEMO. That illegal build of the game was never meant to be released to the public. People really need to quit calling it a demo. As for the flashlight thing, it helps build the "fear" and "suspense".
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:46 PM   #10
gmontem

id should have allowed the marine to hold the flashlight with his mouth. Then id can come up with something dumb like the marine having heavy sinuses and can only breath through the mouth so the marine can die from lack of oxygen if using the flashlight that way for too long.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 07:04 PM   #11
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
id should have allowed the marine to hold the flashlight with his mouth. Then id can come up with something dumb like the marine having heavy sinuses and can only breath through the mouth so the marine can die from lack of oxygen if using the flashlight that way for too long.
lol, that's quite possibly the dumbest thing i've ever heard. i think what they did has made the game best -- i even theorize the possibility of them making the flashlight have a battery life, with occasional battery packs throughout the game. i think this would be good for keeping people from using the flashlight all of the time.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 07:39 PM   #12
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Tip: Bind Right mouse button to flashlight for easy switching.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote