Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 06:47 PM   #13
Zeta

Default Re: The flashlight

Yup, I bound mine to spacebar since I use it so much.
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 06:57 PM   #14
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Tip: Bind Right mouse button to flashlight for easy switching.
Then I won't able to walk! Hate using keys to move forward.
Old 08-04-04, 07:01 PM   #15
Shadowalker

using the normal wasd for control it was quite nice having the flashlight on F for quick switch between it and the assult rifle or shotgun which ever i happened to be using, I LOVE the fact that you NEED the fl to get through the game, Unlike HL where its just there for effect, Having to switch between it and the weapons made this game so much better.
Shadowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 07:08 PM   #16
Vash
Angel Arms

For those that are interested, I found this on PlanetDoom: there's a mod up on Fileplanet already that adds the flashlight to the pistol. Only drawback is you can't turn it off.

Check it out here.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:42 PM   #17
LycosV

Now that's what I would've done. Since the pistol is the only single handed weapon in the game, I'd make it so you could have pistol flashlight, but no other weapon with the light. I'm all for suspence, but come on if a room is pitch black and you need the light to see and the gun to shoot, you'll find a way to use both. The pistol flashlight combo seems natural, like a cop.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:01 PM   #18
Pandora's Box

Send a message via AIM to Pandora's Box Send a message via MSN to Pandora's Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoulstriker
No, I agree with Cam. I can't even count the number of times I had my flashlight out and then something pop out of nowhere and attack me. Reflexively I click the mouse button only to whip the flashlight. Then I'm really thinking "oh s***" to myself. I have to put away the light and bring on some pain!

I think if you had the flashlight attached, it would make the game dramatically less scary. The option to be prepared for anything coming at you is opposed by the option to see ahead and plan ahead. That crucial opposition is critical to some of the atmosphere and tenseness. I'm very glad that they prevented the combination of the two.

yeah got myself killed several times doing that. flipping thru all the weapons frantically as 3 monsters beat the **** out of me. grrr
Pandora's Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 09:04 PM   #19
FierceDeityLink

Send a message via AIM to FierceDeityLink Send a message via MSN to FierceDeityLink Send a message via Yahoo to FierceDeityLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
yeah got myself killed several times doing that. flipping thru all the weapons frantically as 3 monsters beat the **** out of me. grrr
Yeah, I feel the HUD fell short in that respect, as it's difficult to memorize the weapons to their number. The scrolling list in multiplayer looks good, but it ends up being much faster to memorize...
Old 08-04-04, 09:32 PM   #20
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

I tend to learn a 'feel' for a certain number. ie number 2 is the pistol, 3 the shotgun, etc... the place where you whack your finger when you realise you need to kill from some distance is intuitive to me. The button 3 'feels' like the shotgun button. I don't exactly know how to explain it. But it works . Number 6 feels like the gren number hehe...
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-04, 02:14 AM   #21
laffTrax

The original post was made after I'd only played the game for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, my first sitting was rushed. Made the comment about the flashlight cause it was different from what i experienced in the beta (and i stand by calling the beta a DEMO even if it wasn't "official" as we know official demos, as others would seem to disagree, for the very reason that it's purpose of play is to DEMONSTRATE the games engine, graphics, etc.)

HOWEVER, after just completing session 2 of Doom3 (for 2 hours) - i see why they made the flashight a necessary seperate button from fire.

When i realized how critical the flashlight was to the game - i assinged it to R-mouse button and that worked sweet. But alas, i found assinging the zoom command (works similar to the short scope effect in Halo) to the R-mouse button was even sweeter for responsive gameplay. Tough call really.

Flashlights rule guys..............yeah..................i own three...............and......................alway s keep one in my car.................... and...........uh..............................
laffTrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:39 AM   #22
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Send a message via AIM to aaahhh52

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffTrax
The original post was made after I'd only played the game for about 10 minutes. Unfortunately, my first sitting was rushed. Made the comment about the flashlight cause it was different from what i experienced in the beta (and i stand by calling the beta a DEMO even if it wasn't "official" as we know official demos, as others would seem to disagree, for the very reason that it's purpose of play is to DEMONSTRATE the games engine, graphics, etc.)

HOWEVER, after just completing session 2 of Doom3 (for 2 hours) - i see why they made the flashight a necessary seperate button from fire.

When i realized how critical the flashlight was to the game - i assinged it to R-mouse button and that worked sweet. But alas, i found assinging the zoom command (works similar to the short scope effect in Halo) to the R-mouse button was even sweeter for responsive gameplay. Tough call really.

Flashlights rule guys..............yeah..................i own three...............and......................alway s keep one in my car.................... and...........uh..............................

???

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II
aaahhh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:47 AM   #23
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

not only is it the fact of having to switch, it's the fact that once you have switched, the flashlight is no longer there, so you're forced to shoot in the dark... then once you kill a monster, switch to flashlight and check for more, kill him, repeat. couldn't count the times i've wasted ammo when there was nothing there o_0 lmao
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 08:07 AM   #24
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

I generally shoot into the dark, watching for the enemy when I fire and hope, nay pray, to see the enemy burning up
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote