Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-04, 02:12 PM   #1
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default The Official Whine And Moan About Doom 3 Thread

Since so many of you have decided that you want to bawl your eyes out about the most minute shortcomings the Doom 3 engine has, why don't you all complain right here instead of wasting time posting in other threads? You can all pretend like you're Bachelors of Computer Science and make completely irrational and erroneous comments about the game engine! You can throw around buzz words and terms you don't understand to compare it to the Far Cry engine! Hell, why don't you even make up problems that the engine doesn't even have! It'll be so much fun! I'll start.

I hate Doom 3. The lighting is ok I guess but Far Cry is better because it is outdoors. In Far Cry everything looks like it's encrusted in slime and this looks much better IMO. In Doom 3 every single texture has normal and specular maps and even though almost all of them are high res, there are a few that aren't so I am very disappointed. Far Cry has absolutely no low-res textures, especially not outdoors. Oh Doom 3 is dark and it's hard to see sometimes so it's not good. Shader Model 3.0 is in Far Cry and even though it provides absolutely no image quality boost I'll say it does because I'm a clueless retard. Don't forget Parallax Bump Mip Mapping and 3Dc STC3 DF AF filtering. Doom 3 has none of these. Also, even though Far Cry only runs good at these high settings on a behemoth system it has a better engine. Doom 3 sucks even though there is no noticable IQ loss at lower resolutions and detail settings, and runs great on video cards that are 2 generations old while losing none of its special effect features.

If I can pull anything else out of my ass I'll edit my post. Let's go to town!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-04-04, 02:15 PM   #2
sAvAgE-SMP

Default Re: The Official Whine And Moan About Doom 3 Thread

Whine and Moan about Doom3 thread??? WHere am I ? what forum? this wouldn't happen to be rage3d forums would it?
Old 08-04-04, 02:16 PM   #3
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Doom3's engine is a better overall engine IMO, Netcode is great, runs well on a large variety of systems, and can produce very atmospheric environments.

FarCry however just uses later technology, which is good for the type of game farCry is... a techdemo, Doom3 is actually a game.

Features and IQ aren't the only factors in an engine. FarCry runs like dog **** even on my machine, but you have to admit it IS more advanced on paper.

But Doom3 runs well and looks great on my dads P3 1GHz, 512MB ram, and 64MB GeForce 3, I cannot say the same about FarCry.

Agreed?
Old 08-04-04, 02:18 PM   #4
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Umm....it almost made me wet my pants. Three times.

That's about it for now.
Old 08-04-04, 02:24 PM   #5
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
but you have to admit it IS more advanced on paper.
No I don't, because it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
But Doom3 runs well and looks great on my dads P3 1GHz, 512MB ram, and 64MB GeForce 3, I cannot say the same about FarCry.

Agreed?
Yes I do agree, and this is one of the reasons the engine is so amazing - it scales ridiculously well without having to cripple the eye candy.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-04-04, 02:24 PM   #6
Zeno

So true, so true.
Old 08-04-04, 03:42 PM   #7
kev13dd

I don't like it. With the 640 resolution at LOW detail, I only get maybe 30-40 fps average. FX5900SE, AMD 2600+, 512MB PC3200. I was kinda disapointed to see that. I upped it to 800 resolution with medium detail, and get about the same, but only when I turned off high detail special effects. I wanted at least a solid 50, and I can't even get that with the lowest settings

The light really annoys me. It's one thing to have bad aim, another to not even know where the freaking bad guy is. I'd like at least enough light to see the guy, and still enough darkness to add the creepy factor

The gameplay is ok so far, havn't gotton past the pistol and shotgun. But with the darkness, the lag, and the crazy monsters with major advantages over my pistol, I dunno if I really wanna. Waste of 50 bucks. Maybe E-bay is a better option than playing it...

K
Old 08-04-04, 03:48 PM   #8
ja18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev13dd
I don't like it. With the 640 resolution at LOW detail, I only get maybe 30-40 fps average. FX5900SE, AMD 2600+, 512MB PC3200. I was kinda disapointed to see that. I upped it to 800 resolution with medium detail, and get about the same, but only when I turned off high detail special effects. I wanted at least a solid 50, and I can't even get that with the lowest settings

The light really annoys me. It's one thing to have bad aim, another to not even know where the freaking bad guy is. I'd like at least enough light to see the guy, and still enough darkness to add the creepy factor

The gameplay is ok so far, havn't gotton past the pistol and shotgun. But with the darkness, the lag, and the crazy monsters with major advantages over my pistol, I dunno if I really wanna. Waste of 50 bucks. Maybe E-bay is a better option than playing it...

K
thats strange i have a 5900xt same exact thing as i SE and my fps dont dip below 40, and this is at 1024*768 at medium details, all settings on including vsync

Old 08-04-04, 03:49 PM   #9
aaahhh52
gahboo?

Send a message via AIM to aaahhh52

the whole point of it being dark is so you cant see the badguy, and its a suprise when you get attacked, its also ment to be scary, would it really be that fun or scary or really add that much to the atmosphere, if the whole game had nothing but light areas and well lit rooms

New Pc:
Gigabye k8n-SLI NF4
AMD x2 4600+
Evga 7900gs 256mb
1gb pc 3200
160gb SATA II
Old 08-04-04, 03:49 PM   #10
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

engine is great... game might even be better, and the graphics/lighting are excellent. they did **** up on texture resolution though, as everything has a bad texture resolution (not just some things); and the bumpmapping looks great, but at times i think they went a little bumpmapping crazy. no worries though, the end product is excellent, and by leaps and bounds the best over-all game to date; which means graphics and gameplay. matter of fact, i think it's the best in both areas, without regard to the other.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-04-04, 03:52 PM   #11
kev13dd

Audio also. I HATE the audio. I was looking forward to good audio cause it runs off CPU, but it's all scratchy and sounds like Half Life 1 sounded

K
Old 08-04-04, 03:55 PM   #12
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

kev13dd, what the hell kind of sound card/speaker setup do you have? This is the best sounding game I've ever played by FAR!

Once again texture resolution comes into play. I'm going to be taking a lot of screenshots when I get home from work so I can shut all you whiners up about it for good.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Closed Thread