Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-04-04, 08:04 PM   #1
chromaphobic

Default Horrible frame rates even with GF6800!

So, I'm having some major issues with Doom 3. Grr...

First off, hardware/software list:
Athlon XP 3000
512MB
eVGA GeForce FX 6800
Windows XP Home
Direct X 9.0c

I've got it turned down to low quality, set to 640x480 and turned everything off in advanced settings, basically set as low as you can go, and I still get horrible frame rates. By horrible, I mean sub 5 FPS horrible. Unplayable.

I've noticed it only happens when any glowing lights are on screen. For example, at the very beginning before you go through the door to get the bio-scan deal, there's a glowing light above the door. If that light (or any other lights in that area) is onscreen, I get about 2 FPS. No lights on screen, no problems.

Same thing happens in the timedemo. It runs blazingly fast until one of those glowing lights is on screen, then it screeches to a halt. I averages 20-ish FPS with everything set all the way down, that's just not right.

I've re-installed Doom 3, updated to the latest video drivers, nothing works. Argh! All this time waiting for the game and I can't play it!

Anybody got any ideas?

PS: I've only installed one other game since upgrading the card, Far Cry, and that works great so I don't suspect the card is defective, but who knows?
chromaphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:29 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Horrible frame rates even with GF6800!

just learned a new trick, maybe it will be your savior... try putting r_usedepthboundstest 1 in the console (bring down the console by ctrl+alt+`)

tnx to nvtoaster for the info btw.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:30 PM   #3
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Which nv drivers are you using?
Old 08-04-04, 09:50 PM   #4
chromaphobic

Just fixed it! Digging through some other forums I heard some people were having troubles if they were using the dual head functionality. So I disabled the second monitor and everything works great now!!

So, 2 Monitors + Doom 3 = BAD.

Thanks for the help!
chromaphobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 12:12 AM   #5
Timothyb

I run 2 montiors, but in the driver settings I set it for single monitor performance instead of multi performance. This way you get to keep you second screen on.

r_usedepthboundstest 1

Does that turn on the ultrashadow II feature?
Timothyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 04:23 AM   #6
ricercar
fugue master

I find that 512M system RAM with dual monitors is worse than 1G with 2 monitors. YMMV.
Old 08-05-04, 08:14 AM   #7
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothyb
I run 2 montiors, but in the driver settings I set it for single monitor performance instead of multi performance. This way you get to keep you second screen on.

r_usedepthboundstest 1

Does that turn on the ultrashadow II feature?
yea, actually he posted a new thread about it soon after i wrote that post, so it's rather invalid. i'd check over here for more info on that.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote