Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-11, 07:25 AM   #1
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Remembering the Excitement

With Rage coming out at 11PM CST tonight (freakin woot), I thought it would be a good idea to download and play some Doom 3 this weekend. I drove home Friday afternoon remembering how exciting times were when Doom 3 came out.

I remember that Doom 3 was what got me heavy into PC gaming, along with Half Life 2 being released shortly afterwards. I also remember seeing this video and having a nerdgasm:

I also remember that I bought a $450 NVIDIA 6800GT just for Doom 3, I was so stoked for this game if you couldn't tell.

Most people say that Doom 3 was a huge disappointment but I highly disagree. If you compare the video above to the actual game, then yes, I could see that. However, the game was still really good, extremely creepy going through it the first time and the MP was quite fun.

I remember picking up the game at an Electronics Boutique (that no longer exists). We had to wait 2 hours because the manager of that store had to drive hours away to pick up a couple of copies. Tons of fans just standing around a game store in silence is a bit awkward lol.

Finally, I remember that Doom 3 was the game that brought me to NVNews! I had some questions about the 6800GT and it's all history from there.

Just thought I would share some good times.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:47 AM   #2
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: Remembering the Excitement

first time I saw a spawning monster my hopes were dashed
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:49 AM   #3
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post

Sorry, I had to.
Old 10-03-11, 08:19 AM   #4
grey_1

I loved Doom 3 with the exception of the last boss battle - huge disappointment. Then when Last Man Standing made it co-op it was even better.

I'm hoping Rage delivers some of that excitement too. I'll know soon enough.
Old 10-03-11, 08:20 AM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
You were expecting them to spin like a rotary engine, huh?

Old 10-03-11, 09:16 AM   #6
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Har Har.

Walk into a room and a monster teleports/spawns in front of me? Come on.

Even dumpy minecraft hides spawning better than that.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:21 AM   #7
Riptide

Doom3 was meh to me. But I think it's great it provided OP with that excitement he remembers.

For me what really got me into gaming and what really got me excited. StarFlight (EA/Binary Systems) and then after that Wing Commander. I pre-ordered every single installment and expansion pack of Wing Commander. I F'n loved that game. And to this day I wish we could get something like it again but nobody develops that style of game any more. StarLancer was it and that game was entertaining but just didn't get me excited like Wing Commander did.

Unreal also was another one that I really, really loved. Blew me away the first time I loaded that thing up on my SLI system and saw that awesome sky and stars.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:50 AM   #8
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Doom3 was meh to me. But I think it's great it provided OP with that excitement he remembers.

For me what really got me into gaming and what really got me excited. StarFlight (EA/Binary Systems) and then after that Wing Commander. I pre-ordered every single installment and expansion pack of Wing Commander. I F'n loved that game. And to this day I wish we could get something like it again but nobody develops that style of game any more. StarLancer was it and that game was entertaining but just didn't get me excited like Wing Commander did.

Unreal also was another one that I really, really loved. Blew me away the first time I loaded that thing up on my SLI system and saw that awesome sky and stars.
I remember when Quake 3 Arena and UT 99 came out around the same time and they were the big contenders. I bought both and loved both for what they were. Good times.

Old 10-03-11, 09:54 AM   #9
ViN86

RTCW got me into PC gaming. I bought my first video card (ATI Radeon 7500) and a lot of subsequent hardware to give me a better frame rate in RTCW. I played that game regularly for about 5 years. Since then, gaming has gone down hill and I've been searching for a game to fill the void.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 10:06 AM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

Unreal and Half Life got me into gaming. My neighbor's 10 year old gave me the games.

Loved em loved em - good times.
Old 10-03-11, 10:08 AM   #11
Riptide

Unreal was the first FPS that had graphics that flat out blew my hair back. I loved that thing. There is a level, where you fight a titan in that game, and it's under a night sky. Absolutely gorgeous. The levels were fun, the enemies were cool, and the story line while not real in depth was decent enough. Even the music was good.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 10:20 AM   #12
Yaboze

Noobs...I played the original Doom on a 486 running MS-Dos 3.3 back when it first came out.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote