Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 02:15 AM   #1
BEHEMOTH DAEMON

Default I am glad I advised AGAINST any upgrade for DOOM3

After playing the single player fore a bit (loved it a LOT), I decided to join a multiplayer game: What a disappointing experience. Gameplay was so choppy to the point that it was really unplayable.

I am VERY glad that I advised my friend who was about to spend 2K+ on PC upgrade for DOOM3. If the multiplayer was really "playable" then I could justify this expense. I mean what is the point to spend all this money, in order to enjoy couple of days worth of single player experience? Please correct me if I am wrong...

Feel free to post your insights and comments please.

My own system by the way:
P4 2.4b
1GB PC2700 DDR
GeForce 6800 GT OC (about to be returned back and replaced with my good ol' ATi 9800XT before 30 day money back guarantee period of the retailer that I got it from)
Old 08-05-04, 02:33 AM   #2
Apollo 13
The Man

Default Re: I am glad I advised AGAINST any upgrade for DOOM3

well u are wrong...it seems to me that u only joined one server and and didn't try the others. Iv been playing the MP since I got the game and the servers have been smooth but 2 or 3 of them.
Apollo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:36 AM   #3
BEHEMOTH DAEMON

Well, thanks! I am glad. I am going to try more severs. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-04, 02:37 AM   #4
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

hmmm.. the browser is bugged since me, as well as many other people cannot join a game because it says its full even when it is not full. It works a few times though. The times it does work however, I get TERRIBLE lag most of the time and it makes it real difficult to shoot anything... looks like it could be fun though.
Old 08-05-04, 07:22 AM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEHEMOTH DAEMON
After playing the single player fore a bit (loved it a LOT), I decided to join a multiplayer game: What a disappointing experience. Gameplay was so choppy to the point that it was really unplayable.

I am VERY glad that I advised my friend who was about to spend 2K+ on PC upgrade for DOOM3. If the multiplayer was really "playable" then I could justify this expense. I mean what is the point to spend all this money, in order to enjoy couple of days worth of single player experience? Please correct me if I am wrong...

Feel free to post your insights and comments please.

My own system by the way:
P4 2.4b
1GB PC2700 DDR
GeForce 6800 GT OC (about to be returned back and replaced with my good ol' ATi 9800XT before 30 day money back guarantee period of the retailer that I got it from)
so you're saying he would have been wasting his money on that PC upgrade? i mean, doom3 is *obviously* the only thing that can be run on a new pc, newer games wont be able to or anything ;/
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:26 AM   #6
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

as far as lag issues go, i bet it's a server problem. if i were guessing the admins aren't the best ever (no offense to them), and have unfed settings... for example disabling antilag, forcing the slowest transfer speed to be 20KB/s per client, etc.

not to mention i *know* competition mods will come out, and ones such as etpro actually increase the efficiancy of the net code by a major amount. also, i feel idsoftware will release some patches for this game quite soon (addressing in-game browser issues, along with various other mp bugs).
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:34 AM   #7
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
hmmm.. the browser is bugged since me, as well as many other people cannot join a game because it says its full even when it is not full. It works a few times though. The times it does work however, I get TERRIBLE lag most of the time and it makes it real difficult to shoot anything... looks like it could be fun though.
The max number of players is 4. Some servers have been hacked to allow 8 or 16 players, but it doesn't work because it still says "server is full" when you try and connect.

And yeah, the netcode is very laggy atm.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 09:22 AM   #8
gigapower

Send a message via AIM to gigapower

I was playing on a hacked 12 person server yesterday, smooth as butter.