Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-04, 01:32 PM   #1
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Default As suspected...

Multiplayer is a complete wash out on this title. I have been playing Doom 3 for a number of hours now, and here are my findings.

Single Player

Not entirely original from games I have played before. The planet (Mars) was used on Red Faction, and overall the story is a little weak. Graphics are nice, but really do not justify the hype, but was happily surpised they have kept the true feeling of advancing via a card system.

Multiplayer

Complete rubbish. The amount of times Doom 1 and 2 have been re-released on the PC with all of it's multiplayer features in tact should of been an example Doom 3 followed. We had full Co-Op support, and this is where Doom 3 fails The 5 multiplayer maps in Doom 3 is laughable, and hard hitting proof this game is for hardcore single player game fans. Since the original, we have had progress in the form of PunkBuster Anti-Cheat software for Internet play, and 4 player split screen as seen below, which Doom 3, yet again has failed to include.

In short, I am enjoying this game but I cant deny it is a let down for me and could of been alot better in the multiplayer department.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 01:39 PM   #2
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007
Default Re: As suspected...

Hopefully this will only have to be said this last time...

iD focused on the single player component of the game. The netcode is part of the engine and package so Quake 4 and the mod makers have a finished product to work with and a knowledge base of what works and what doesn't.

If you bought Doom 3 because you wanted an awesome multiplayer experience.....well...sorry
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:08 PM   #3
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercede007
If you bought Doom 3 because you wanted an awesome multiplayer experience.....well...sorry
On the contary, I read the Co-Op support will be there on the Xbox version ? If it is, then shame on the PC version.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:11 PM   #4
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
On the contary, I read the Co-Op support will be there on the Xbox version ? If it is, then shame on the PC version.
How the heck are you going to Co-Op a PC game? Over a LAN? Because it would be pointless and frustrating otherwise. I'd much rather grab a second controller then cart over a PC and monitor. Shame on Microsoft for not getting the Doom 3 game out on the XBOX sooner. I would have bought that first if it wasn't 2 months behind the PC release.
intercede007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:14 PM   #5
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Actually, the Xbox version will only support coop online over Live (and presumably system link), there aren't going to be any splitscreen modes. And it's Vicarious Visions who are in charge of porting the Xbox version, so it's up to them what features to add and how it turns out (I don't think ID ever really took the Xbox into account after coming up with the base engine features).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:23 PM   #6
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

IMO the devs didn't really care about multiplayer so much; they know that mods will do that for them... wether that's good or bad, well, that's for us to decide.

edit: and it's not id's fault punkbuster isn't included.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:24 PM   #7
evilchris

LOL they used Mars so its unoriginal? Sounds like you were reaching there man I can say that such and such game used Earth so all games taking place on Earth are unoriginal?
Old 08-05-04, 02:38 PM   #8
aAv7

I hate to think they concentrated soley on the single player game, cause there isnt enough there to justify a 4 year long development.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-04, 02:50 PM   #9
evilchris

The engine development is what takes the most time. Honestly though, what do you know about game development?
Old 08-05-04, 02:55 PM   #10
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
The engine development is what takes the most time. Honestly though, what do you know about game development?
exactly. ID is aware of their strong mod community following & entrusted that they would take care of the multiplayer side.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 02:56 PM   #11
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by intercede007
The netcode is part of the engine and package so Quake 4 and the mod makers have a finished product to work with and a knowledge base of what works and what doesn't.
Sorry but I dont want to count on the mod makers to make the MP part of it to work. MP should have had more time dedicated to it. Yes I know that ID worked more on the 1st player part, but IDs games have always had very good MP parts, and this IMHO is a step back for the company that more or less kicked started internet gaming with QuakeWorld. All IMHO.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 03:00 PM   #12
evilchris

iD has stated since the beginning that MP was not a big design goal with this game. If you expected deep, involved multiplayer with tons of options that's your own fault. I'm glad they went SP focus on this one. Why does every freaking game HAVE to have multiplayer? I wouldn't care if it had none at all.