Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-02, 09:43 AM   #25
Klaus-P

After all, did you also have checked your mobo's BIOS settings? (default values, etc,...) Though on my machine i cannot verify any
difference in the running behavior but other people have reported that a "PnP OS" when it is set to "YES" or "enabled"
in the BIOS has confused the IRQ settings for the BIOS will not control possible IRQ conflicts etc,...
So check all audio control settings in your BIOS, and also this "PnP OS" thing. And if nothing will help
remove ALL unnecessary cards, and other stuff from your board and try it again. ANd no "crazy" overclocking experiments ;-)
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-02, 02:38 PM   #26
k0fcc
Joey Stanford

Send a message via ICQ to k0fcc Send a message via AIM to k0fcc Send a message via Yahoo to k0fcc

lol...

Klaus you know me all too well. :-)

I've verified that the MOBO settings are on 'default'. There are no conflicts and no real audio adjustments that I can make. I always run with PNP OS = OFF so that's not an issue either.

I have no add-in cards so that can't be it.

I have determined that all soundcard and ac97 modules load fine and that the system only locks when I attempt to load i810_audio.o

By all visual cues, it should work just fine.
k0fcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-02, 06:10 AM   #27
Klaus-P

Then, hell, set the DEBUG options in this lock-driver, maybe you'll get some informative stuff
on DMA channels, IRQs, etc BLA, BLA before your machine locks. Remove the two slashes "//"
e.g
//#DEFINE DEBUG ----> #DEFINE DEBUG
//#DEFINE DEBUG_INTERRUPS ,etc,....
I've a source tar.gz version nforce 0241, so check this out in your version.
The source file in my package is named "i810_audio-rh72.c" (redhat?...Ohh)

Somewhere in log-files, etc,.. you should have at least also some warnings
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 03:06 AM   #28
hjf288

Hi, I just installed the NVIDIA Nforce Redhat 8.0 RPM but now I have 2 I810_audio devices in my SoundCard Detection in Gnome, i did your above instructions and then i get.
CANT LOCATE MODULE i180_audio
Can you please help me im a total linux newbie?
Old 11-17-02, 11:51 PM   #29
Chalnoth

Well, thanks everybody, I managed to go over to the alsa site and installed the drivers just fine. After a little bit of playing around (I had to remove the reference in the modules.conf file to nVidia's driver so that the alsa driver would work), it works just fine.

Except for one major problem. Static.

It appears to be a CPU usage issue, so it may possibly be fixed when my new CPU arrives this week, but somehow I doubt it. The problem is this: I get static when playing sound. In a program like xmms, depending on the song, it will play excellently for a few seconds, and then start to get major static. It really looks like it's some sort of timing issue somewhere. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's not a low-level driver thing (Which seems likely...) that I'd have a hard time fixing....

Update:
Heh. Looks like I found a solution. Using the OSS driver appears to produce no static. I don't think this is going to help with UT, though...

Update 2:
Okay, guess I fixed that one, too! All I had to do was switch back to ALAudio from GenericAudio.

Last edited by Chalnoth; 11-18-02 at 12:04 AM.
Chalnoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-02, 12:33 PM   #30
Blacklister

Default My nforce sound now works!

I had the same problem with my K7N420 board with the nforce. The sound card was not working.

I simply did these commands:

/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe i810_audio

Then I simply used the SoundCard Detection (under gnome) utility to test it.

Thanks to Klaus !
Old 11-25-02, 08:12 AM   #31
KJ_Kool

I checked for the a97_codec and it does not seem to be installed. I have already downloaded the RH8 nforce drv. How to I get it and install it?

Thanks
KJ_Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 11:32 AM   #32
Chalnoth

ac97_codec? You wrote a97_codec...

Old 11-25-02, 03:29 PM   #33
KJ_Kool

[Yes. ac97_codec, sorry for the typo.
KJ_Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-02, 06:47 PM   #34
Chalnoth

Just making sure that the typo wasn't carried over onto your machine at home

Anyway, I just use the ALSA drivers ( http://alsa-project.org/ ). Everything should be included, though I will say that installing them can be a little bit of work.
Old 12-01-02, 08:47 PM   #35
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default My success

For a time I had the some problem XP1700 ASUS A7N 266 VM ..nforce board and no sound...

I am a bit of a noob, BUT I got the sound working...
in mdules I had the
alias sound-slot-1 i810 audio line
I altered this to sound-slot-0 (zero) and the sound now works fine... give it a shot...

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-02, 12:50 PM   #36
k0fcc
Joey Stanford

Send a message via ICQ to k0fcc Send a message via AIM to k0fcc Send a message via Yahoo to k0fcc
Angry

I reinstalled my system from scratch. I still can't get this bloody thing to work. I have had more trouble with this Nforce board than it's worth. Think I'm just going to buy a new computer. :-)

Klaus, Even with debug on, it freezes without any warning. I didn't try to load Alsa as it should work natively. It worked reasonably well under RH 7.3 after some tinkering but it's clobbered in RH 8.0. Wouldn't surprise me if it has something to do with the GCC version.

Ah well... now to talk the wife into it. :-)
k0fcc is offline   Reply With Quote