6 - A tad above average, nothing to write home about though. 5 2.84%
7 - It was good, just for a one night stand. 36 20.45%
8 - It was great! More satisfying than any chick named Bubbles. 54 30.68%
9 - Amazing. Instant orgasm. 48 27.27%
10 - The second coming of Jebus. 23 13.07%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-04, 03:40 AM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: What would you rate Doom 3 on a scale of 1-10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Go to windows control panel, change your speaker setup to "surround sound speakers" I had the same problem with my 4.1's. Now that I set it, the positional audio is fantastic
I have mine at quadrophonic and I can't select the surround in D3. I guess I have 4.1 since there is a sub. Would surround work in that case? The pic in control panel when you select surround shows a center channel which I don't have.
Old 08-08-04, 04:36 AM   #26
Arioch

6.66 of course!

Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 11:13 AM   #27
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
I have mine at quadrophonic and I can't select the surround in D3. I guess I have 4.1 since there is a sub. Would surround work in that case? The pic in control panel when you select surround shows a center channel which I don't have.
Yes I know, the picture does show a center channel, but I have done testing on both and the surround option does work great in doom3 with my 4.1's. It gives positional audio, and it doesnt seem as if I am missing a center channel at all... I also have a 4.1 setup. 4 speakers, and a sub. Works great for me
Old 08-08-04, 06:50 PM   #28
LycosV

Well I gave it a 7 on your scale. Your ten seems a little more like an 11 on a 10 point scale.

Overall I think the game deserves a B (8). The lighting looks great and the ambient sounds add a lot of atmosphere. I liked the interactive computer consoles which I think added alot to the imersivness.

On the other hand the game doesn't do anything really new or drastically inovative, you basically shoot everything that moves. If you did shoot one of the, maybe 4 total (excluding the begining), normal people you only lost access to a couple boxes of ammo (and the early access to the BFG). Also the predictability of the monsters kind of drains the suspence after a while (It doesn't take a genius to spot where those spiders are going to come from).

I don't think the game deserves an A (9-10), but in the end it's a game that's worth playing through. It's fun, which is the most important, and will leave more than a few good memories with me for years to come.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 08:48 PM   #29
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I'm really very impressed as to the wide variety of opinions everyone has. Not everyone here is just like - WoW Doom 3 is teh bestest game evar! It seems like most of the media is going to be joining up in the id Software a** licking society but it seems that around here people are looking at this game very objectively.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 08:52 PM   #30
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
6.66 of course!

too true

jakUP shoulda had that option up

-edit-

after tabulating all results... it appears the average score from NVNews members for doom3 == 8

quite a decent score
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 01:08 AM   #31
Jarred
OUTCAST

I thought it was great, I wasn't expecting something crazy awesome, but it's definitely impressed me.

I think it was way better than farcry, but, that's just me. I like the dark creepy stuff more than the tactical outdoors stuff.

I agree with the sounds of the weapons though, and the overbouncy grenades, ...I know there's a fix for this, but it would be nice if he had taped his freakin flashlight to a weapon.

The occasional low rez textures I did notice, and it would be sweet if they just put it on one dvd.

But, overall, it's the best FPS i've played all year, and well worth the 55 bucks. Theres been a lot of crap released on pc this year, it's nice to see something like Doom3.

<--- goes back into hiding.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
Albert Einstein
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-04, 10:33 AM   #32
LycosV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred
I agree with the sounds of the weapons though, and the overbouncy grenades,
I know what you mean, WTF! Grenades were freaking everywhere. I think I only used 10 throughout the game.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-04, 07:19 PM   #33
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

I actually like how they bounce around alot. It means that you don't have to hold the button down too long to throw it a long distance, like in most other games. This way, you can time the explosion of the grenade as you like, and it will still go quite some distance.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 09:05 AM   #34
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

Just beat it about an hour ago ...

I've gave it a 7 because of mainly what Ed and Sazar said -- it's a gorgeous looking game but it's lacking in the substance department (repetitive and predictable gameplay, no replay value, garbage multiplayer). I'll also add that it might have been a tad too long for my tastes (I thought visiting Hell was the final level of the game ... but it kept going!) In a nutshell, Doom 3 is basically a demo of Carmack's latest brainchild when it comes to engines but with a slightly above average game tacked on -- and that's a compliment since most of Id Software's previous releases over the past 4-5 years have been sub-par to mediocre single player games tacked onto excellent engines.

Will "Soldier Of Fortune 3" use the Doom 3 or Quake 4 engine is the question on my mind right now.
Old 08-10-04, 12:10 PM   #35
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I give it 5, while it looks good and has impressive effects and a nice build up I just find it so boring to walk down dark corridoors not able to see a thing waiting for the next Rage3d member to jump out at you. It's not paticulary entertaining to me.

Last edited by vampireuk; 08-10-04 at 01:08 PM.
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:38 PM   #36
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
I just find it so boring to walk down dark corridoors not able to see a thingy waiting for the next Rage3d member to jump out at you. It's not paticulary entertaining to me.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote