7 - It was good, just for a one night stand. 36 20.45%
8 - It was great! More satisfying than any chick named Bubbles. 54 30.68%
9 - Amazing. Instant orgasm. 48 27.27%
10 - The second coming of Jebus. 23 13.07%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-04, 02:42 PM   #37
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: What would you rate Doom 3 on a scale of 1-10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
I give it 5, while it looks good and has impressive effects and a nice build up I just find it so boring to walk down dark corridoors not able to see a thing waiting for the next Rage3d member to jump out at you. It's not paticulary entertaining to me.

Damnit vamp, stop causing my co-workers to stare at me!
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 05:54 PM   #38
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

8.0!

Best looking game I have ever seen on a pc. Played it at 1600X1200 4XAA 8XAF Ultra with almost no problems and if any, went away when played on a system with a gig of ram (it helps alot). Reminds me of Star Treck Elite Force 2 and even Aliens vs Predator 2. It's not the best FPS I ever played but was enjoyable and in the top 5. Couple things though I think could have made it better.

1-More varied monsters- Almost all of them were the same and got tired of them.
2-More humans and varies ones. All of the humans looked the same and it would have been nice to have more action oriented interaction with them.
3.Didnt really like the branching levels.
4.Should have had way more guns and more futuristic.

Overall a great game and the best one I played this year.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 04:00 PM   #39
dante_uk
Geforce FX5900

Thumbs up Re: What would you rate Doom 3 on a scale of 1-10?

I give it a 9
Only downside was it did get a bit repetative.

Definately worth the wait ( actually I'm still waiting, since I'm in the UK and my pre-order doesn't arrive till next week sometime yes I've completed it from an illegal download version, but if Activision got their act together I wouldn't have got so pissed off reading about how great it is from all you yanks and would have been able to get legit copy sooner.) Look forward to getting a legal copy for the multiplayer fun.
-- "I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my telephone" Bjarne Stronstrup (originator of C++ programming language)

Gigabyte S478 Intel 845E / P4 2.2Ghz / 1GB DDR / GF FX 5900 128MB (400/850) / SB Live! Player 5.1 / XP Pro sp1 (DirectX9.0c) / Suse 8.2
dante_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 03:28 AM   #40
Superfly
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSy
Just beat it about an hour ago ...

Will "Soldier Of Fortune 3" use the Doom 3 or Quake 4 engine is the question on my mind right now.
man I've been wishing for SOF3 and the Goul3tech to be made on the doom3 engine for like years!!!!!!!

can you imagine the gore!!!!!!!!! yuk, would be hard getting it past ratings in some european countries though. (Germany - poor chaps)

Quake4 will own everything when it comes out - Raven software are the kings of using Carmacks technology.

EDIT: - oh yeh, I gave Doom3 8
Old 08-18-04, 07:15 AM   #41
faraday

Conclusion from this thread: Britney's dancing is reeeeeaaall bad.
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 09:51 AM   #42
jbirney

I pretty much agree with Sat. Its a ok game. Great engine. But as a whole a great engine can not make up for other week points of the game. I did give it an 8 as hoping updated or addons will make it much more worth the 55 I paid for it.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 10:03 AM   #43
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
I did give it an 8 as hoping updated or addons will make it much more worth the 55 I paid for it.
That's one of the things that stings me the most - the cost. I probably also would have given it an 8 had it been $39.99-44.99. I think once it reaches this price point, it will be far more worth the money.

On the pricing note, I can't wait for TW 2005 to come out if EA holds its line on pricing this game for the PC in relation to the consoles like it has done for 03 and 04.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 04:53 AM   #44
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

I gave it an eight. A lot of people talk about the monsters popping out getting predictable, and it's true, I don't collect armour or health unless I really need it anymore, but how many vents in half-life weren't populated by headcrabs? What is spooky about this game isn't the existence of the monsters but the way they appear (scripted scenes are cool) and the trepidation about where the hell he's going to come from is quite high, at least for me. Before I enter any room I scan it with my flashlight again and again thinking "Where could they not possibly come from? Where will they most likely come from? how far in will i have to go before i trigger them?" and then I vector myself so I'm facing my highest threat zone with my shotgun a mouse-scroll away.

Old 08-20-04, 10:10 AM   #45
kahloq

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSy
Just beat it about an hour ago ...

I'll also add that it might have been a tad too long for my tastes (I thought visiting Hell was the final level of the game ... but it kept going!)
This I absolutely have to disagree with. Foremost is the fact that the game cost $55 and to have it as short as ending at the end of the Hell lvl would have been a HUGE negative as far as game value is concerned. I actually made a comment in another thread about how SHORT the HELL lvl seemed to me compared to the original DOOM. I HAD expected HELL to be the end area of the game, BUT I had also expected HELL to continue for alot more then what was actually in DOOM3 and was disappointed in the fact that the HELL areas ended so fast. When playing a good game, you want the experience to continue and continue cuz you enjoy playing it. Once you beat it, your like kinda depressed cuz its over. I would really like to see ID remake DOOM2 and Final doom using the DOOM3 engine(with some enhancements).
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 02:06 PM   #46
Riptide

Well I just finished the game last night. Overall I give it a 7.5/10.
*possible spoilers below*

Individually I'd rate it like this:
Graphics - 9.5/10
Sound - 8/10
Story - 7/10
Gameplay - 7/10

The heat effects in this game were just amazing. Reminded me a lot of some of the steam FX you could see in the hallways while playing FC. But I think Doom3 did a better job with that effect, or at least used it more liberally for obvious reasons (the setting of the game itself). I was just amazed at how beautiful some of the rooms in the dig areas looked. All those glyphs on the walls, etc.. Just gorgeous, especially the Star Room. The teleportation beams with all the souls flying around in them was quite the site. Character models were excellent, better IMO than FC.

The story... Well I guess it was pretty much what I expected. Not disappointed in it, just not really thrilled about it I guess. I didn't mind the PDAs and reading the e-mails, viewing the video discs, etc.. That was all fine. I guess it just didn't really blow my hair back all that much in this regard.

When I first started playing the game was very scarey. I wasn't used to all these surprises. Enemies spawning behind you, etc. were pretty startling. Unfortunately, it did get tedious after a while. IMO the first 2/3 of the game started to drag after a while. It just go to predictable for my tastes. It lost the scary aspect and that's why I kinda ding it a bit on the gameplay. The saving grace for it was that the last 1/3-1/4th of the game things started to get interesting again once you kill those two hellknights and head through the portal to hell. From there it picked up a bit and I really liked battling the spider bitches in the ruins. Lotsa fun there, great time to whip out the BFG and dish out the hurt.

Overall, definitely worth the price of admission but I believe the caption for option 7 on the poll is right in line with my experience. Definitely worth the one through but this is not a game that has much replay value for me personally. After beating it the 1st time on veteran I don't think I'll be playing it through on nightmare. I can't wait to see what else comes out using this engine as it definitely does look purty.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-04, 01:23 AM   #47
Knell2

I give it a 9.

Play D00M3 without room lights is awesome.
Knell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-04, 02:44 AM   #48
Kain

Kain is offline   Reply With Quote