Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-08-04, 09:35 PM   #25
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Doom3 outdoors are going to rock.. (possible spoiler)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
if you look at this very nice good looking screenshot ,people here will instanly notice *IS* a coputer game.. with nice graphics. you can notice in less than a second that is not a movie or a photo of something real. look at the rocks and the plants (all green -no shadows)) there is no cinematic there graphics because the lighting is static and incorrect and the reflections of the light is identical for every surface ,Hl2 and UnrealT2004 suffer from this Hanna Barbera look ,that while it can look beautifull is still will look easily like a computer game. Doom3 while it doesnt have forest for obvious reasons many times Rocks and metals looks realistic. and if you design Trees there they can look close to realistic too.. no reason for not to be..,lighting reflected in the ground also looks like real Sun light. in the future all games lighting outdoors/indoors will be dynamic at all times ,just like Doom3 and Unreal3engine.
Again, this is all moot point because you're comparing simulated rocks and metal to simulated trees and water. I bet you could make Far Cry look exactly like the surface of Mars in Doom 3 if you had the right resources. Just like you could probably make a tropical paradise from the Doom 3 engine. Only if we see things like that could valid comparisons be made.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 09:53 PM   #26
kahloq

^^^agreed
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 10:07 PM   #27
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Again, this is all moot point because you're comparing simulated rocks and metal to simulated trees and water. I bet you could make Far Cry look exactly like the surface of Mars in Doom 3 if you had the right resources. Just like you could probably make a tropical paradise from the Doom 3 engine. Only if we see things like that could valid comparisons be made.

yes,, you have a point there. if you have unlimited resources and are a good programer the sky is the limit.. but if you are a gamer ,with limited resourced but good skills and simply wants to MOds the game.. out of the box Doom3 can do much more Cinematic graphics than Farcry whether they are indoors or outdoors..and thats is because its unified lighting engine. and Farcry will have the edge in outdoors if all you want is very huge outdoors with very nice dense forest and nice looking water. Farcry looks awesome because of the ammount of the hand tuned detail in there enviroments and their very nice looking water ,but the same FC outdoors with Doom3 lighting will look like a real life photo. lighting makes all the diferences between something movie like or something game like

but im glad that we have FC and any other next generation game . realistic or not they all have good looking graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doom3_3ext.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	7429  

Last edited by Nv40; 08-08-04 at 10:50 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 10:08 PM   #28
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
Yep it's in a higher league.
Bingo...In real life outdoor lighting isnt precomputed. FarCry is great with old tech, but doom3 is the beginning of an new era of Engines. People fail to realize that.

Nv40, do you think Doom3's engine is more advanced on a technical level than Cryengine?
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 10:29 PM   #29
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Bingo...In real life outdoor lighting isnt precomputed. FarCry is great with old tech, but doom3 is the beginning of an new era of Engines. People fail to realize that.

Nv40, do you think Doom3's engine is more advanced on a technical level than Cryengine?
when it comes to engines ,i dont know only their developers knows it.... and its quite possible that each engine is "better" for the graphics in the style of their games . (Doom3 engine will be my last choice for a FLight simulator game ) so for Big FOrest and with water effects FC seems more practical ,and for indoors and character modeling DOom3 migh be more practical . but only their developers knows what they know.. notice how much limited QUake3 engine was for Outdoors ,there were none in the original game ,and virtually no water effects ,a see the ammount of games using outdoors in that engine. MOH series /Star wars series ,COD and now COD2. . not as impressive as farcry ,but still amazing how much that engine was modified for their games.
Old 08-08-04, 10:42 PM   #30
DivotMaker

Quote:
Yep it's in a higher league.
Whatever....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 10:48 PM   #31
DivotMaker

Quote:
1. Trees are actually extremely easy to render.

2. Half the trees in a wide FarCry shot are SPRITES and not even geometry.

3. Everquest did that fine with DirectX 5.
1. Hogwash.

2. You want to tell me that the animated palm trees and other animated foliage are SPRITES? Hardly....you might want to educate yourself a bit better when you pretend to know something about tree rendering. I will agree that there are sprites in the distance a great deal from where the actual camera is, but you are wrong otherwise.

3. Never saw EQ, so I cannot judge for my own eyes, but please don't try to tell me that a DX5-class 3D card was capable of rendering convincing animated 3D trees. Not buying that whatsoever.
Old 08-08-04, 10:51 PM   #32
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
well this is not a farcry topic.. but the "nicer graphics" in FArcry outdoors lacks heavily in realism. is very easy to notice is not the graphics i will notice in the real world.
Static screenshots do NOT do an outdoor environment justice. That is the whole point of rendering an outdoor world that is ALIVE and ANIMATED.

Old 08-08-04, 10:58 PM   #33
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
1. FarCry is great with old tech, but doom3 is the beginning of an new era of Engines. People fail to realize that.

2. Nv40, do you think Doom3's engine is more advanced on a technical level than Cryengine?
1. Old tech? You have GOT to be kidding me.

2. Again, comparing an engine (designed to render INDOOR and DARK environments) that was targetted at DX7-class hardware versus an engine which was designed with DX8/9-class hardware (designed to render indoor AND outdoor environments with heavy emphasis on pixels shaders) is simply a very poor comparison. You can tout the D3 engine all you like as you are entitled to your opinion, but please do not insult the intelligence of others who look at the two different engines objectively.
Old 08-08-04, 11:01 PM   #34
Nv40
Agent-Fx

a side note..
Unreal3 engine looks more and more impressive each time..
those graphics are the ones of an incomming not announced game. the shinyness of Doom3 +softshadows with a tweaked version of the good looking Outdoors in Farcry.

http://www.gfs-clanbase.de/neb/ue3-3.jpg
Old 08-08-04, 11:04 PM   #35
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBerthaEA
1. Hogwash.
Could you elaborate on your insightful response?

Quote:
2. You want to tell me that the animated palm trees and other animated foliage are SPRITES? Hardly....you might want to educate yourself a bit better when you pretend to know something about tree rendering. I will agree that there are sprites in the distance a great deal from where the actual camera is, but you are wrong otherwise.
I think you're skewing what was originally stated:
Quote:
Half the trees in a wide FarCry shot are SPRITES and not even geometry
There is nothing wrong about steeda's statement here other than "half the trees" is a bit vague to be sure. The gist of his statement is correct though yet you seemed to ignore that and go on a rant about his education of tree rendering. One can easily play with these LOD settings with consoloe commands like e_terrain_lod_ratio or e_vegetation_sprites_distance_ratio as an example to see for themselves.

Quote:
3. Never saw EQ, so I cannot judge for my own eyes, but please don't try to tell me that a DX5-class 3D card was capable of rendering convincing animated 3D trees. Not buying that whatsoever.
This seems to be your only response that makes much sense. I'm just trying to clarify and/or have you elaborate a bit.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-04, 11:07 PM   #36
Clay

FYI, here's a FiringSquad article that goes into some more detail on the LOD issue (no pun intended) .

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/far_...2.0b/page2.asp
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote