Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-04, 01:50 AM   #1
Moot
;-]

Arrow Disappointments in Doom 3

Before I start complaining I’ll first say over all the game is awesome. But there are some things that are lacking…

- Does anyone other than me remember “exact pixel damage skins” ? It seems that feature didn’t make it. Doom 3 version 0.02 alpha, or what ever it was, had them.
- Another feature I don’t think made in into the game is “per polygon damage” (not 100% sure on this one)
- Another feature that was promised and never happened was a sound track by Trent Reznor
- Marks on walls are off by default, and when they are turned on you get big ugly blotches. Couldn’t they have made proper bullet decals? Rather then make them pretty they just disabled marks on walls by default.
- Multiplayer portion of the game seems very neglected. The filters on the in game server scanner don’t even work. Like couldn’t someone notice that bug during testing? I think so. Who gives a poop ship the game! It’s single player focused anyway right?
- I wish some of the bodies would stay behind, so you could keep dismembering them, and making a big bloody mess. Something you could do in the alpha.
- Scripting is too canned. During that bio scan in the beginning of the game even if you aren’t standing on the red squares you still pass your bio scan, and even if you aren’t moving he tells you to hold still.
- some stuff seems “borrow” from games like half-life. What about those health dispensers heh?
- There is no ultra shadow as of yet
- I have only played it for two or three hours so far and have already experienced the flash light bug.
- Lots of people have been saying this one but I’m going to say it again. Why can’t a competent marine carry a gun and flashlight at the same time?
- It’s hard to make things not too dark, or not blow out the colors, and get hot spots.
- some of the textures are rather low quality
- Interacting with things in your world seems very limited. Even in half-life you could get a can of pop from the pop machines. But it’s not so in doom3. I was also hopping the turkey puncher game was actually a game within a game. Maybe an old version of doom you could stand there and play in doom 3. wouldn’t that have been cool?

Well that’s it for now. I’ll probably think of more as soon as I post this.
- ASUS ATI 5850
- 3 x 1 TB seagate barracuda HDDs
- Enermax MODU82+ 525W
- Asus Xonar D1
- klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra

Last edited by Moot; 08-10-04 at 02:07 AM.
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 02:04 AM   #2
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

yes the ingame browser is TERRIBLE. filter dont work, half of the games wont connect. Its amazing to me that this is in a shipping product.. and its id! They are not known to ship games with huge bugs... 4 years on this game and they didnt even notice that the ingame browser does not work.. amazing.lol Other than a few glaring missteps, the game is great
Old 08-10-04, 02:21 AM   #3
evilchris

You should never compare anything to an alpha that you were never supposed to see. Every game has tons of cool features pulled before release.

The flashlight is a design decision. It has nothing to do with being a "competent marine". I think it adds to the game. If you could always see bright and clear then what's the point of the lights being down in the 1st place. You choose: weapon ready or see whats coming =) I love it.

I also think HL borrowed a lot from iD's games heavily of that era. They all do it.
Old 08-10-04, 02:31 AM   #4
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I agree with the complaints on some parts, but i really think the thing that bothers me most about the game(although I love the gameplay) is that its so much like other games.

Quake 2, Half-Life and eliteforce 2 combined into Doom 3 (minus the Klingons ). What sucks is, they left out the Doom. Personally, I think this game would have made a better Quake 4 than a Doom 3... just my opinion though.

EDIT: Its also a lot like the Resident Evil movie... super advanced research facility goes to hell, zombies take over, military forces have to fight them off...

Despite all this, its still a really fun game that looks great
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 02:32 AM   #5
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I kinda like the flashlight thingy also... it adds to the game in tense moments when something jumps out Kinda makes it more exciting in a way
Old 08-10-04, 02:42 AM   #6
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Disappointments in doom 3

Could have made battery ran out on flashlight if you use it to mutch but let it use with guns not all guns offcourse some of them need two hads to hold, would be more fun i think i agree with Moot , iD could have added more little things and made it more fun , a bit rushed out id say
Heck they prolly got tired working on Doom 3 and shiped it
Old 08-10-04, 03:07 AM   #7
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Its amazing to me that this is in a shipping product.. and its id! They are not known to ship games with huge bugs...
Hmm...something tells me you didn't play quake 2 when it first came out. It was arguably the buggiest game ever until like 8 months after its release. Not to mention doom 1 as well, version 1.0 of that game was terrible, the already blocky graphics were even more blocky, and even worse is it ran even slower that way.

Personally I like Doom 3 though, its a damn good single player game. I don't really have any beefs with the minor things. Play the game in the dark with a nice 5.1 surround system and the volume way up, with the bass slightly tweaked. The game is quite scary. Also not to mention surrealistic.

IMO the best ID software game ever made. I hated quake 1 (the entire game was just a big brown polygon blob) and quake 3 (this one didn't even have a game,) quake 2 was ok but nothing fantastic. The original doom games, the commander keen series, and the original wolfenstein 3d games weren't the best games ever, but I played them for hours when I was 11. Doom 3 certainly stands out from the rest.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Last edited by Rakeesh; 08-10-04 at 03:19 AM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 08:31 AM   #8
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

- Does anyone other than me remember “exact pixel damage skins” ? It seems that feature didn’t make it. Doom 3 version 0.02 alpha, or what ever it was, had them.

Whats that? for me the zombies get injured in the exact part that I shoot them if thats what you mean.

- Another feature I don’t think made in into the game is “per polygon damage” (not 100% sure on this one)

Its still there, though it doesn't seem to matter if you shoot a zombie in the torso or the arm, he will still die if you shoot him enough times.

- Another feature that was promised and never happened was a sound track by Trent Reznor

We all knew he pulled out 2 years ago.

- Marks on walls are off by default, and when they are turned on you get big ugly blotches. Couldn’t they have made proper bullet decals? Rather then make them pretty they just disabled marks on walls by default.

Marks on walls were on by default on my machine. Some bumped and specular bullet holes would be nice though.

- Multiplayer portion of the game seems very neglected. The filters on the in game server scanner don’t even work. Like couldn’t someone notice that bug during testing? I think so. Who gives a poop ship the game! It’s single player focused anyway right?

Yeah the MP is weak, Id added it because the community nagged for it, not because they wanted to.

- I wish some of the bodies would stay behind, so you could keep dismembering them, and making a big bloody mess. Something you could do in the alpha.

Theres a console command for that. And your framerate gradually slows the more and more bodies pile up (which is why they switched it off by default),

- Scripting is too canned. During that bio scan in the beginning of the game even if you aren’t standing on the red squares you still pass your bio scan, and even if you aren’t moving he tells you to hold still.

I noticed that I jumped around, crouched, did a little dance, it doesn't matter .

- some stuff seems “borrow” from games like half-life. What about those health dispensers heh?

The game has a LOT of simularities with half-life. The whole research facility opens a portal to another dimension and aliens come through and kill everyone thing. The animated corpses with face hugger things on them in Half-life are they equivalent of the zombies in Doom 3. The guy in the suit in Half-life who always seems to be one step ahead of you, is paralleled by councilor Swan in D3.

- There is no ultra shadow as of yet

There's a console command for that, r_usedepthboundstest or something like it.

- I have only played it for two or three hours so far and have already experienced the flash light bug.

I never had a problem with that, its probably an issue with specific drivers.

- Lots of people have been saying this one but I’m going to say it again. Why can’t a competent marine carry a gun and flashlight at the same time?

Because (lots of people have been saying this one but I'm going to say it again) it would ruin the atmosphere in the game. Its odd that people complain of it being unrealistic that the character can't tape a light to a shotgun, but nobody has issue with the fact that he can carry 10 different weapons in his pocket. BTW, there is already a mod out that attaches a light to the pistol if you are so inclined.

- It’s hard to make things not too dark, or not blow out the colors, and get hot spots.

change the gamma and not the brightness. set r_gamma to 1.2 in your config.

- some of the textures are rather low quality

Unavoidable unless you wanted the game to require a 500 meg graphics card.

- Interacting with things in your world seems very limited. Even in half-life you could get a can of pop from the pop machines. But it’s not so in doom3. I was also hopping the turkey puncher game was actually a game within a game. Maybe an old version of doom you could stand there and play in doom 3. wouldn’t that have been cool?

That would have been cool yes. I was also let down that I couldn't use the bathroom. I also thought it would be cool if there was a scene with a zombie in the shower, you could then flush the toilet lots of times to make the water really hot and kill the zombie. BTW, someone should write an Atari 2600 emulator for the Doom 3 arcade machine, that would be cool.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-04, 09:17 AM   #9
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

The lack of a weapon with a flashlight annoys me, if that company makes the most advanced technology ever made surely they can stick a light on a gun
Old 08-10-04, 09:37 AM   #10
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

you figure that in the future they'd have something better than a flashlight to see in the dark. anyone else notice that they reused a lot of quake 3 sound effects? i thought the sound effect when you picked up health was a little familiar....hmmm.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 09:51 AM   #11
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
The lack of a weapon with a flashlight annoys me, if that company makes the most advanced technology ever made surely they can stick a light on a gun
Exactly.
Whats the point of all this realistic lighting, realistic physics, ragdoll physics, and bla de f*cking bla, if you can't walk down a frigging dark corridor holding a torch in one hand and a gun in the other ?
To me, THAT would be more realistic, AND scary, than just bumbling around in the friggin dark.
And why is it so darn dark ?

Christ, it would be 100x more damn scary if I was walking down a fully lit corridor, holding a gun and a tracking device, (ala, Aliens), than it ever would be in Doom 3.

Also, they spot you regardless of whether you have your torch on or off. I stood still in the dark for a while, then couldn't believe my eyes when they not only found me, but shot and killed me as well. Do they all have built in nightvision ?
And whats the point of all these wonderful graphics, if you ain't going to see them anyway ? Or do some of you just shine your torch on every pixel on the screen ?

No wonder it runs on lower-end hardware, There's sweet FA to render, lol. It just renders BLACK !!
Sort of like,
"Hey guys I got Doom3 to run on my P2 233MMX and Voodoo 1"
"But it's all just black"
"Exactly, brilliant ain't it ?"

I'm sorry, but Doom 3 has nothing on Farcry, and I didn't think much of Farcry.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:47 AM   #12
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Yeah they did go overboard with the darkness, usually in a dark game you can adjust the gamma to make the games brightness to your satisfaction, with this it has very very little impact on what you can actually see. I know it's suppose to be atmospheric but it's also annoying as hell.