Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-12-04, 12:37 PM   #109
evilchris

Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Nope, never heard of him! I'll look him up though. What is he, a columnist or something? Google shall give me the answers...

Edited by vamp: expect a admin to contact you soon
http://www.somethingawful.com/jeffk/

I think Jeff K is Rich Kyanka , somethingawful's webmaster. It's all parody.

Quote:
HELO FAGORTSAND WELLCOEM TOO MY NEW AND EMPROVED HOEMAPEG!!!! HELLO I USED TOO BE A HAX0R BUT NOW I AM A COMPUTAR CONSULTANT BECUASE HAX0RING SI ILLEGAL!!! AND TEHY SAIDS I WOULD BE ARESTED IF I KEPT HAX0RING SO NOW I HELP PEOPAL INSTEAD OF HURT THEM BUT IF YUO ARE A FAGOT I CANNOT TAEK REPSONSABILITY FOR YUO IF YUOR COMPUTAR MACHIENE HAS TOO BE SENT BACK TO GATEWAY BECUASE IT GOT WINNUKED BY A SLY FOX!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA~
HEAR SI MY EMALE ADRESS: OH WAIT ITS HEAR
Old 08-12-04, 12:39 PM   #110
evilchris

iD == gods
D3 == badass, savoring every moment.

The graphics, experience, sound... everything I was hoping for. I have literally no complaints whatsoever about the game. I couldn't care less about multiplayer either. Never got why every game has to have it. Yay run around shooting people who jump like frogs firing rockets! Game AI is more realistic than the crap real people pull in multiplayer!
Old 08-12-04, 12:45 PM   #111
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
it is not shared by many others when compared to the current base of people who have played Doom 3 and my point is that WE GET IT, you don't like it
No, sorry, you DON'T get it, and never will at this rate.

I really, really want to like this game. But so far, it's turned into pure frustration, than enjoyment. And I have every right to vent my frustration on a public forum. I'm not attacking anyone on a personal level, I'm merely pointing out what I think are some pretty major flaws that have hampered my enjoyment.
And you, in particular, have come across as patronsing, and that really p*sses me off. F*ck, I've been gaming for 28 years, and I think I know a thing or two about games.

Quote:
However, if someone disagrees with you, they too should be allowed to express their views.
And exactly WHERE have I said that you can't have them ?
I have put across my points, in a non condescending, non patronising tone. So I suggest you do the same. But it seems some of you would rather throw the same tired old "OMG TEH Whatevers BLabla" around. And I haven't seen anyone use this for a few years.

I'm going to suggest that if ANYONE doesn't like my views on this topic, especially Ninjaman09, then you know where the Ignore User button is, I suggest you use it.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 PM   #112
jbirney

The whole flash light thing:

I still don't see why not having it mounted to a weapon is a bad idea. Nor how it would detract from the gameplay experince. AVP games had a "flashlight" that you could use (although the batteries must have been made back in the 70s as they lasted a mere few minutes). Using the light did not deter from its creepyness or the amount of times it made me jump. I also would have only keep it on a few of the weapons (like Shotgun, pistol and maybe the MG) as today we have these weapons in use by law enforcement and military......
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 PM   #113
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

WORD! I agree. I only wanted a single player game, I hardly ever play multiplayer shooters because they are boring. Except Call of Duty, which is fun. Counter-Strike got old for me after a few years.

Anyway, yes I HAVE read that now that you mention it. I just forgot who wrote that stuff. Heh, Something Awful really is funny. Not as funny as maddox's site, but funny nonetheless.

Edit: GEEZ, this thread is hot! My post was in reply to Steeda's.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 12:47 PM   #114
evilchris

D.k. don't take this the wrong way man, but I have a solution to your views about D3:

just don't play it! That's what I do when I don't like a game. I put away and never play it again. You aren't going to like every game, and John Carmack isn't going to change it for you.
Old 08-12-04, 12:48 PM   #115
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

holy crap people, its just a game....
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 12:50 PM   #116
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbirney
The whole flash light thing:

I still don't see why not having it mounted to a weapon is a bad idea. Nor how it would detract from the gameplay experince. AVP games had a "flashlight" that you could use (although the batteries must have been made back in the 70s as they lasted a mere few minutes). Using the light did not deter from its creepyness or the amount of times it made me jump. I also would have only keep it on a few of the weapons (like Shotgun, pistol and maybe the MG) as today we have these weapons in use by law enforcement and military......
There is a mod for this. Problem solved!

Old 08-12-04, 12:51 PM   #117
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K.Tronics
No, sorry, you DON'T get it, and never will at this rate.

I really, really want to like this game. But so far, it's turned into pure frustration, than enjoyment. And I have every right to vent my frustration on a public forum. I'm not attacking anyone on a personal level, I'm merely pointing out what I think are some pretty major flaws that have hampered my enjoyment.
And you, in particular, have come across as patronsing, and that really p*sses me off. F*ck, I've been gaming for 28 years, and I think I know a thing or two about games.
No no, I get it. You don't like Doom 3. I understand. You've been excessively verbose in letting us all know.

Quote:
And exactly WHERE have I said that you can't have them ?
Why, right here, you silly goose!

Quote:
Phew, thank god he's gone.

Right, shall we continue this like adults ?
Or are some of you going to continue with this chirade that nobody is allowed to voice their own concerns ?
The implication being, of course, that my posts were oppressing your ability to voice your own concerns, which they weren't. You were relieved that I was gone and not able to express my opposing viewpoint, so...you figure out the rest.

Quote:
i.d., aren't gods. Doom 3, isn't the second coming of Christ (if even there was a first). A forum is to debate things that some of us have concerns with.
I totally agree. Debate, however, is the discussion of two opposing viewpoints, not a bunch of people agreeing with each other. In fact, this could almost be considered a debate right now, if we'd stay on topic! And don't try to feign innocence, your tone has been very condescending and rude this entire time, and you have repeatedly lashed out at those who've even whispered disagreement.

Like steeda said, if you hate the game so much, don't play it. But trust me, we all know that you don't like it. You've said so many times.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Last edited by Ninjaman09; 08-12-04 at 01:51 PM.
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 01:57 PM   #118
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
The implication being, of course, that my posts were oppressing your ability to voice your own concerns. You were relieved that I was gone and not able to express my opposing viewpoint
No, because you were being an asshole.

Quote:
But trust me, we all know that you don't like it. You've said so many times.
Right, like I have openly said I hate the game. Quite pathetic of you.
And the irony here is quite funny, don't you think ? Especially since YOU are the one going on, and on, and f*cking on about it's a design "Feature".

I really, REALLY hope you don't find any faults in HL2, or STALKER, or FEAR. Because if you do, you'll think about this, when you come to posting them in a discussion forum.

Quite frankly, I'm done with this thread. None of you have discussed this in an open manner. Instead, we get your one-sided narrow minded views, that almost try to politically correct people, just for having a different view to you.
To say someone HATES a game because they have found a flaw that frustrates and angers them, is just pathetic.
My own family sometimes anger and frustrate me, but I don't hate them for it. My car does the same, with all the problems it's had lately, but I still think it's the best car I've ever had. Take that analogy however you want.

I really hope some of you use the 'Ignore User' feature, because I really don't want to discuss anything, anymore with some of you.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 02:04 PM   #119
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman
I don't know about delaying the game, but I would definitely rethink some of the design aspects. First let me list some of the issues I have with the game as a gamer. It's damn dark, way too dark. Flashlight helps, but there are instances where it's even too dark to aim and shoot. It's one thing when the imp ignites his fireball and lights up the area, but killing a marine in the same environment is next to impossible without taking unnecessary damage. Another issue I have is with monsters spawning behind me, and some of the trap doors. Once again you are forced into situations where you must take damage, and that is cheap IMO. If you really want to scare people, make it dynamic, at least some sort of scripts in rotation. Forcing a player to take damage, or killing him, just so he can reload and avoid the whole spawn/ trap ambush is poor design IMO.
Oh please...

Im sorry, but what is unnecessary damage??? Every level had dozens of health packs and piles and piles of armor plates laying everywhere.

Thats what I dont understand, everyone complains about things being too dark. But I only died 4 or 5 times in fighting situations (usually it was "gee i wonder if I can make that jump".... *ahhH!!*.. nope) through out the entire game on Marine difficulty. If you dont die, why complain? Walk into the next room and you'll probably be able to max out your health and armor again. If you were stuck in a pitch black room with glowy eyed undead marines shooting at you, and you managed to kill them, would you say "oh that was so cheap" or "wow, that was tough" then move on?

If the game is too hard for you to kill the monsters in the dark (all of which have glowy eyes or other characteristics that can be seen in the dark), and you take too much "unnecessary damage", play it on easy

I'll admit, one thing that irritated me was that later in the game often after large fights there would be enemies that attack you after you pick up the usual "after battle health\armor cache" just to wear down the health you just picked up. Sure its irritating, but its not unnecessary. It just makes the next scene a little harder. Which is much welcome IMO, since so far, even the toughest battles have been easily beatable for me.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 02:35 PM   #120
superklye

Anyone else find grenades to be practically useless? I've used like 5 and not once have I killed a single enemy with one. They always run away (even when they haven't seen me yet) and it was wasted time and ammo.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote