Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-04, 09:41 AM   #133
Rainbo

Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

Why are people never satisfied with a game when it is released, If you ask me you should be more patient, a game no matter what will never be perfect due to the upgrades in technology every minute of the day... As far as im concerned Doom 3 is far more advanced than alot of other games that ive seen at just released stages... so be greatful that someone ever thought of bringing out a game to keep you entertained for a few days/weeks/months.. You know the only other game i would actually pay the amount i did for Doom 3 when its released is probably world of warcraft... but then im a simple person to please.. if you ask me i think that you all should have paid more for your copies of Doom 3 because it is definitly well worth the money... So quit your whining and go and play the bloody game and friggen enjoy it
Rainbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 10:09 AM   #134
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Wise words. You know, it's weird. I've already finished the game, and I'm playing through it again on Hard. For some reason, I'm a LOT more jumpy this time around and I find myself getting more freaked out by things that really didn't bother me the first time through. It may be because I know there's a good chance that if I screw up a little I'm dead, since you take a lot more damage in Hard than in Normal. Who knows, but I'm having a ton of fun playing it again. It really is a great single player game!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 10:11 AM   #135
jbirney

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeda
There is a mod for this. Problem solved!
Well yea I know. The point is I shouldn't have to spend time to do that. Its was a design choice by ID that has not gone over too well. Just the the lack of save game in Farcry. Some people found it to be a critical oversite. I did not care as the auto saves worked for me... so meh
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:39 AM   #136
Riptide

I think it's a good game. My only minor complaints are the flashlight and that at times the game seems to drag a little. Gets kinda predictable as far as ambushes waiting around every corner, someone spawns behind you, etc.. The story is cool to me, I don't think it's bad.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 02:41 PM   #137
Timothyb

Yeah, ambushes are too often. When you know it's coming it's a bit less fun. I wish there were a little less enemys so you can explore a bit instead of knowing every room has another monster. You know, just enough time to wonder around for you to forget and let your guard down. And if there are less enemies, they should take more damage.

There are just so many bad guys you always thinking, ok, where will the next one pop out every 15feet you walk.
Timothyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:49 PM   #138
Moot
;-]

I have yet another one. You know the inserts they put into the jewel cases. Well they put the back one in my copy of doom 3 upside-down. Not that it wasn’t hard to turn around. It just shows lack of attention to detail, or quality control, or something. It’s like putting the cover letter on your resume upside down. It doesn’t leave the person reading it with the best impression.
- ASUS ATI 5850
- 3 x 1 TB seagate barracuda HDDs
- Enermax MODU82+ 525W
- Asus Xonar D1
- klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 12:23 AM   #139
Timothyb

I'm just glad there was a cd case, could have been 3 cds in white sleeves by the current trend. And they at least had a larger manuel compared to the small cd case insert ones.

I have another complaint. I'm bothered when I see a monster disappear in a near 100% dark room and it doesn't create any light. The monster glows red hot with vapors and other effects that stand out in the darkness, but it doesn't cast any light. So it looks odd.

Also, I don't want to try a flashlight mod, I don't have any problems with how id chose to handle the flashlight, but one thing bothers me. I think the muzzle flash should at least go out further than arms length.

I just hate finding a monster then turning off the flashlight to take out a weapon to shoot in complete darkness to find out the flash wasn't bright enough to see where the monster is now at, so you have to turn the flashlight on again to find where it went to shoot again. Unless of course it's an imp, their fire balls give them away.

Anyone know a mod that stengthens the muzzle flash's distance?
Timothyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 12:46 AM   #140
Moot
;-]

Actually yes I was also really happy that it came in a case rather than sleeves, like a lot of new games do... could have been a DVD in case though ;-) would have been even better.
- ASUS ATI 5850
- 3 x 1 TB seagate barracuda HDDs
- Enermax MODU82+ 525W
- Asus Xonar D1
- klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-04, 08:51 AM   #141
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =

You know what really sucks about D3? Its makes you later for work.. I've been "slightly" late to work every day this week. I tell myself "Just a few monsters" or "Just another healthpack.." its sad really..
Old 08-14-04, 10:24 AM   #142
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Well guys, I think Todd Hollenshead said it best in this excerpt from a Gamespy interview:

Quote:
Todd Hollenshead: I've seen some of the comments about the flashlights and I tend to think that they're silly, quite frankly. It's a game-ism, just like save games and load games are game-isms. You could say "well, that's not realistic, because if you die, you should never be able to play the game." I think that some people want to be able to see everywhere in the dark, which is exactly what we intended them to want to feel when they played the game; they just don't appreciate that that's exactly what the experience was intended and they get frustrated by it. Which is unfortunate -- instead of enjoying the trepidation and realizing that this is exactly the experience id was trying to put in the box, they're saying "I want to do something different." But that's not DOOM 3. That's not a scary game if we show you where everything is. Part of the experience of the fun house is not knowing what's around the corner.
So hopefully that will make you understand what they were doing with the flashlight. You should all read the interview, it's at Gamespy. It's very interesting and informative.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 07:29 PM   #143
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Haha.. He's arguing almost exactly the same thing I have been arguing...
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 12:47 PM   #144
glObalist
working as intended

"That's not a scary game if we show you where everything is. Part of the experience of the fun house is not knowing what's around the corner."

Who is he trying to fool? Little kids out there? I've played thru half of the game so far and by now I definitely KNOW there just WILL be another monster spawn point around THE corner. :LOL:
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote