Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 04:37 PM   #145
Mike1357
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Mike1357 Send a message via MSN to Mike1357
Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothyb
Anyone know a mod that stengthens the muzzle flash's distance?
Yea you can change the muzzle flash by editing a .pk4 file

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=47

look there
Mike1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 04:45 PM   #146
Timothyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357
Yea you can change the muzzle flash by editing a .pk4 file

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...8&postcount=47

look there
Yep, I learned out already,

Some pics I've taken with the change posted here:
http://rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33775761
Timothyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 01:38 AM   #147
Bopple

Flashlight/darkness is not bad, in itself.
But the prolonged darkness game time, makes D3 boring & cheesy, combined with repeated predictable ambushes.
They had to have made it possible to use night-vision goggle or something, after some while.

Last edited by Bopple; 08-16-04 at 01:49 AM.
Bopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 06:02 AM   #148
Mike1357
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Mike1357 Send a message via MSN to Mike1357

Yea, after a while, you think, "Well, when I push this button on this screen and activate this, I'm going to get attacked from behind." So you press the button and creatures spawn everywhere around you and you shotgun them all to oblivion. You also think, "Well, when I open this door, there will be something waiting behind it, ready to jump out or shoot at me." Even though these elements sometimes scare me, most of the time I'm ready for it, using the correct gun for the occasion. When I get ready for some big button press, I'll break out the chaingun, ect.
Sometimes, it does still catch me off guard, for example, when I'm walking along and a wall breaks out and a Imp jumps out at my screen. The creatures still kinda give you the jumps when fighting them, too, because they are so fast moving. All you can do to stay away from them is run backwards, and then you don't know whats behind you, waiting to attack.
Overall, the element of scare is very strong in the beggining, and still lingers even later on in the game, though not as strong. I haven't beaten the game yet so I'm not sure how it is at the end. :P

needless to say, no other game has made me jump as much as Doom3 has.
Mike1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 11:42 AM   #149
killahsin

Yes you can sometimes guess, but its the best times when your fooled into thinking somthings going to happen and it doesnt.

Everyone who has played through this game without cheats knows what i mean =P

Therefor in my eyes the 'gimmick' accomplished its' mission. Your always ready for somthing, and half the time its nothing, or rather another "gimmick"(usually sounds) to make you think its somthing.

quite like half-life in this regards. To me personally it makes for a great experiance. Had it not been a great experiance we wouldn't be talking about it would we =)

Great experiances tend to leave you wanting more, wishing you could change them in some way extend them and make them better. The human mind is a funny thing. To me personally until I taste half-life 2(and perhaps even after), Doom 3 has my vote for game of the year.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 03:23 PM   #150
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Well guys, I think Todd Hollenshead said it best in this excerpt from a Gamespy interview:

So hopefully that will make you understand what they were doing with the flashlight. You should all read the interview, it's at Gamespy. It's very interesting and informative.
My problem with Todd's quote - Part of the experience of the fun house is not knowing what's around the corner. - is that you DO KNOW what's coming around the next corner, its another god damn IMP. Final boss is fun, you are duking it out in the open, its light, you've got hell spawns coming out of the wood work trying to get you. It's just you, your boom stick and a whole lot of fun. The rest of the game, dark rooms, corridors, with one two spawns each is VERY preductable and downright boring.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 08:57 AM   #151
VISTREL

I had scary times through the middle of Alpha Labs then I just got used to it...like a nostrodamus I could predict where and when monsters would spawn...

But still, it feels like doom...very good game...sounds are perfect...and flashlight thing is done very good..wouldn't be fun if it was attached to weapons all the time...
VISTREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 03:31 PM   #152
holmes

I LOVED the game, but one thing that slightly bugged me was the head of the flashlight having like 6 polygons. I think they could have put a little more effort there...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-04, 02:12 AM   #153
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

-- Marks on walls are off by default
The realist in me wants to point out that advanced alloy structures would be invulnerable to small arms fire and bullets would make next to no marks on them. Even now if you take an unpainted titanium-tungsten or titanium-carbide sheet and blast it with an assault rifle you just get some very slight marks, mainly from the lead smearing onto the plate. Of course, it would be hard to explain the structure collapsing everywhere if it's made of some advanced metal, everything might be broken and on fire but the building would still be whole.

-- Why can’t a competent marine carry a gun and flashlight at the same time?
Better yet, why aren't friggin 22nd century marines equipped with nightvision (which is available in fairly small sizes present, with batteries that last for 20+ hours) or light enhancing gun sights (again, already existing) or flaslight attachments on his weapons (ditto), or a freakin pistol that holds more than TWELVE rounds (why do sci-fi games always have pistols that hold ****ty ammo amounts?). The answer is it would decrease the scaryiness and challenge of the game. Realistically speaking, it's absolutely retarded.

I was considering making a realism mod for doom, with NVGs and a 20 round pistol with a laser sight, but who knows if i'll ever get around to it.
Old 08-19-04, 09:04 AM   #154
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
-- Marks on walls are off by default
They're on by default on my Doom 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
-- Why can’t a competent marine carry a gun and flashlight at the same time?
Better yet, why aren't friggin 22nd century marines equipped with nightvision (which is available in fairly small sizes present, with batteries that last for 20+ hours) or light enhancing gun sights (again, already existing) or flaslight attachments on his weapons (ditto), or a freakin pistol that holds more than TWELVE rounds (why do sci-fi games always have pistols that hold ****ty ammo amounts?). The answer is it would decrease the scaryiness and challenge of the game. Realistically speaking, it's absolutely retarded.
The flashlight thing has been mentioned once or twice. However, I remain puzzled by this stance people take about "competent marines" carrying both a gun and a flashlight. This brings me to the obvious conclusion that many of you have never shot a gun before. I encourage you all to go to your local gun range, rent a pistol, and bring a flashlight with you. Then, while holding the flashlight in your other hand, shoot a few clips off into your target and tell us how many times you hit what you were aiming for. Now try it with a shotgun. And don't tell me that Marines get special training. They still have to aim when they shoot, and "shooting with a flashlight in your other hand" isn't exactly a brilliant battle tactic either. Might as well run around waving your arms and screaming "Shoot me! Shoot me! I want to die!" I also don't want to hear about this "duct tape" crap anymore. I'd love to hear how you're gonna tape a flashlight to a gun without destroying the flashlight after a few shots (guns tend to expel a great deal of force when fired).

As for why the guns don't have lights on them - why would a grunt marine have tactical combat gear (most guns don't come equipped with flashlights) when he's only supposed to be providing security at some remote research facility where no known hostile activity has ever happened? Realistically speaking, he wouldn't.

The Doom 3 pistol is supposed to be a high-caliber weapon. Most high-caliber pistols don't hold much more than 10-12 rounds. The M1911 .45 caliber pistol that was standard issue for the U.S. military for decades only held 7 rounds. Only 9mm pistols hold larger amounts of ammunition, and they wouldn't really be suited to shooting demons from hell. The role of a pistol is not that of a primary weapon but that of a secondary weapon or last line of defense. That's why assault rifles and submachine guns hold large (30+ rounds) amounts of ammunition per clip. Pistols are also much harder to fire accurately than rifles or shotguns. Therefore, even though it's "sci-fi", the pistol would not have any reason to be outfitted with larger clips. It would be more unrealistic if it did have lots of ammo. 12 rounds per clip is plenty.

Like you said yourself, the game uses the flashlight as a source of suspense. It was a design decision. I keep hearing the "but it's not realistic" complaint. The game is about demons from hell invading a Martian research station by means of a teleportation device built on technology derived from an ancient Martian civilization. It takes place in the year 2145. Your character can carry 10 weapons at a time, some of which are so large as they would "realistically" prohibit him from carrying anything else, at best. FOR CHRIST'S SAKE, IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC. GIVE IT A REST.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 10:33 PM   #155
Moot
;-]

My doom3 was turning marks on wall of be default. I think now that it's just because of the video card that I have. I assumed it was because the marks weren't well done. Cuz well, they arn't the best looking.
- ASUS ATI 5850
- 3 x 1 TB seagate barracuda HDDs
- Enermax MODU82+ 525W
- Asus Xonar D1
- klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 01:54 AM   #156
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

"I remain puzzled by this stance people take about "competent marines" carrying both a gun and a flashlight"
Having shot guns I know exactly what you're talking about, it's the same thing that screws up the whole 'akimbo' concept, you can't focus or coordinate properly. Just the same he ought to be able to use his flashight arm to crossbrace. It's not as good for accuracy and recoil as properly holding your pistol, but given that this is supposed to be some future gun we can assume it's polymer with all sorts of ports and recoil springs built in.

Aside from the fact that a .45 would actually be a bad choice for shooting demons, due to their presumeably armour-like skin, the 5.7mm, .40cal and 10mm are all high calibre (especially the 10mm, ranking with .357 magnum) can all fit 15+ rounds. This is due to double-columning and sophisticated metals and polymers used in weapon and magazine designs to allow high capacity at the same size and weight (often less than) previous generation firearms. Since the only demons you shoot with your pistol are the relatively man-sized ones, the primary factor is going to be armour/hide, not the size of the shell, so you want a high-velocity FMJ-type round, which can be relatively small in bore but have a long shell case. Of course he could just be toting a monster handgun like a .454Cassull, in which case it should be OBSCENELY loud and bright, but still, by the ******* 23rd century he should be able to hold more a good many rounds, even with that shell size.

12 rounds is great for personal defense or police work, but a soldier never knows when he might have to fight several enemies at once, or how long he might have to go with only what's in his magazine for rounds. Most shots in combat miss anyways, that's one reason police went to Glocks, for the high-ammo count. They often only hit with one in seven rounds.

And yes, Doom 3 isn't meant to be realistic, but that doesn't make it any less absurd, especially when it makes attempts AT being realistic. I mean if you're going to have beams collapsing and walls caving in, why can't I blow up some walls?