Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-04, 10:01 AM   #13
Moot
;-]

Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

I’ll reply to some of people’s comments latter today. For now I have one more complaint I want to post before I go to work. Shouldn’t flying plasma and rockets light up the room? Even firing some guys should light up the rooms more than they do.
- ASUS ATI 5850
- 3 x 1 TB seagate barracuda HDDs
- Enermax MODU82+ 525W
- Asus Xonar D1
- klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra
Moot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:03 AM   #14
Clay

I think that this Doom 3 flashlight issue will go down in history as one of the single most bitched about game characteristics of all time. Good grief people, there will be a mod for this soon enough...don't get your panties in such a wad.

Maybe someone will make a mod for a lightswitch in EVERY room with 1 million candlepower floodlights that come on too.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:10 AM   #15
Saint Lucifer
Not watching Manning poop

The darkness is perfect in Doom 3. And yes, with the flashlight, I do scan every single corner and area in the game, then when I'm assured that there's nothing presently in the room, I equip a gun because there probably will be something coming.

If I could just run around with a gun and flashlight equipped, the game's pace would be shot. The simple point is that requiring the flashlight to be out forces you to make a choice between clarity and fire power and it also indirectly controls how fast you can move through the game.

"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."
-Alfred Hitch****
Old 08-10-04, 10:23 AM   #16
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Well call me boring, but stumbling down a corridoor in pitch black over and over again just isn't that entertaining to be honest
Old 08-10-04, 10:23 AM   #17
Barrok

I have played the whole single player game, and the flashlight "problem" never bothered me. This game tops my list of graphically amazing games as well as a killer single player game. I agree with some of the original posters problems though. I feel that the game is 97% complete. There are so many "touch-ups" that could have been added that would have changed my view alot! I still cant get over how the head isnt round, that it is so blocky! I also think that, while fun, it was somewhat repetitive. COD single player was my favorite along with half life, and graphically i think COD is still amazing, even though it uses the Q3 engine. I am looking forward to games with the doom3 engine, and hopefully there will be a killer multiplayer game soon! Peace!
Barrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:27 AM   #18
cam9786

People, were not saying they CAN'T stick it to the gun, were saying it WOULD RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE!!!! I just don't know why some people don't get that, even after you tell them 20 times. It's made to be dark and scare the **** out of you, you're more vunerable with a flashlight then you have to switch and it's all about timing and not getting killed but still being scared cause youre more likely to get hurt carrying a flashlight then a gun. Really, he could do it if he wanted to, but the games not a simulation of what would happen in real life, it's meant to be dark, the way the developers intended it.
[B]BFG GeForce 6800GT OC @ 400/1.10 GHz[/B]
40GB Maxtor Hard Drive 7200RPM
17'' Flat-Screen Silver Monitor -KDS Visual Sensations
[B]ASUS A7N8X Motherboard nForce2 Ultra Chipset 400FSB Dual Channel[/B]
[B]Crucial 1024 MB PC3200 DDR 400 RAM[/B]
nForce2 Audio Controller
Labtec Desktop Speakers & Subwoofer
ASUS CD-RW 52x24x52 Burner
Large AMD Athlon XP Fan
Large Air Case Fan
Antec True430 430 Watt Power Supply - 20A on 12V line[/SIZE][/B]
[B]3dMark03 -[/B] [URL=http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011]http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2811011[/URL]

[I][B]Kamel on Kids and Doom 3 -[/B] [/I]

[I]i don't know about you guys, but i'd like to teach my kid that if a demon breaks into our house, you should shoot the bastard... multiple times, until he decinegrates (just to make sure).[/I]

I am 73% addicted to Counterstrike. [url=http://seanism.com/addiction/cs.php]What about you?[/url]
cam9786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:32 AM   #19
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

obviously people are scared so they bitch about not enough lights...lol
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:43 AM   #20
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam9786
People, were not saying they CAN'T stick it to the gun, were saying it WOULD RUIN THE ATMOSPHERE!!!! I just don't know why some people don't get that, even after you tell them 20 times. It's made to be dark and scare the **** out of you, you're more vunerable with a flashlight then you have to switch and it's all about timing and not getting killed but still being scared cause youre more likely to get hurt carrying a flashlight then a gun. Really, he could do it if he wanted to, but the games not a simulation of what would happen in real life, it's meant to be dark, the way the developers intended it.
I've tried, they don't get it =). They seriously think that John Carmack couldn't find a way to attach a light to the weapons!

Old 08-10-04, 10:45 AM   #21
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Well call me boring, but stumbling down a corridoor in pitch black over and over again just isn't that entertaining to be honest
And let's not forget having to constantly switch back and forth between your flashlight and weapon because you can't see where the enemies are...but they sure as hell can see you.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:55 AM   #22
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

frankly the darkness is nice

I agree that a flashlight on the weapon woulda been nice and the tape-duct mod has just that but with a very narrow beam (to continue use of the flashlight for seeing more)

this helps keep the game claustrophobic while still being practical...

its a bit daft in some areas when you SEE the bugger yer trying to off... then have to switch and keep firing and see nothing...

I didn't use the machine gun's in the game... neither the chaingun or the regular machine gun... so the lighting off the fire is limited @ best...

however @ the end of the day the darkness == nice
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 11:11 AM   #23
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richteralan
obviously people are scared so they bitch about not enough lights...lol
Yes thats it exactly, its not the fact that its boring as hell to be wandering around when you can't see anything, its the scary pixels
Old 08-10-04, 11:13 AM   #24
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I still dont understand the flashlight crap. The game plays fine the way it is.

What is the problem with not being able to use a flashlight with a gun? It isnt that unrealistic... there isnt any tape anywhere and only a moron would hold a flashlight on the forend of a sawed off 12 gauge.. not only is it friggin hard to hold a large object against the gun while shooting (has anyone ever shot a 12 gauge? you need to hold on to the forend tightly, imagine a smaller barrel on it, and no stock... you reeaaally need to hold it tight)... but HOW THE HELL WOULD HE PUMP THE FREAKIN THING WITH A FLASHLIGHT IN YOUR HAND?? And how about reloading? Youd have to stick the flashlight in your pocket before reloading, then take it back out then hold the gun again. Same goes for most guns. I doubt they planned on using the plasma gun, BFG, chaingun and machinegun in their own damned research facility, so they left off the flashlight mounts... or maybe you can get mounts from cabelas, see if you can get online at UAC and have them send you flashlight mounts for a chaingun

He really could have held it with the pistol though... but as others have said, its just not part of the gameplay, and people would have probably been irritated by one gun with a light when no others have it.

And about the "its an advanced research facility, why dont they have some new lighting technology?"... well, they make guns that determine whos good and band and kill the baddies on their own, they make things that turn Mars dirt into resources, they make teleportation devices... doesnt anyone else think that maybe personal lighting equipment MIGHT be a little lower on the to-do list? They didnt seem to plan on the whole damned place blowing up and having hell take over, so its not like they had a "demonic takeover preperation lab" where they designed super advanced flashlights and flashlight mounts that fit every gun known to man (including the chain saw ).

Also, in case you guys didnt notice this flashlight is freaking powerfull. It lights up things outside on the martian surface from a window about 100 feet away.

And one more thing, the reason they have a flashlight and not some headlamp or one of those lamps that goes around your neck is because: its a maintenance flashlight, they use it to look into all the nooks and crannies that you saw in the game to fix things. I imagine its pretty hard to do with a light stuck to your head. Plus, the whole game was filled with people complaining about the conditions and equipment, maybe better solutions do exist, but the UAC has just decided to be cheap bastards and only bought 5 industrial strength flashlights for the whole facility.

There, now shut up about it for gods sake
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote