Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-04, 11:19 AM   #25
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908
Default Re: Disappointments in doom 3

I was hoping for a new MOH game or some other shooter based on this engine a la MOHAA with the Quake 3 engine, but now that EA has bought up Crytek I'd much rather see it use the CryEngine.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 11:25 AM   #26
Slybri

The doom engine apparently sucks at rendering liquids. The chemical sludge and the lava look like crap and there's no water anywhere (but i guess that's just mars for you).

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Slybri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 11:30 AM   #27
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
I still dont understand the flashlight crap. The game plays fine the way it is.

What is the problem with not being able to use a flashlight with a gun? It isnt that unrealistic... there isnt any tape anywhere and only a moron would hold a flashlight on the forend of a sawed off 12 gauge.. not only is it friggin hard to hold a large object against the gun while shooting (has anyone ever shot a 12 gauge? you need to hold on to the forend tightly, imagine a smaller barrel on it, and no stock... you reeaaally need to hold it tight)... but HOW THE HELL WOULD HE PUMP THE FREAKIN THING WITH A FLASHLIGHT IN YOUR HAND?? And how about reloading? Youd have to stick the flashlight in your pocket before reloading, then take it back out then hold the gun again. Same goes for most guns. I doubt they planned on using the plasma gun, BFG, chaingun and machinegun in their own damned research facility, so they left off the flashlight mounts... or maybe you can get mounts from cabelas, see if you can get online at UAC and have them send you flashlight mounts for a chaingun
With a detachment of Marines on the base you would think they would properly outfit them. I have a hard time believing that if they can set up a base on mars they won't have torches on their weapons
Old 08-10-04, 11:39 AM   #28
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Lucifer
The darkness is perfect in Doom 3. And yes, with the flashlight, I do scan every single corner and area in the game, then when I'm assured that there's nothing presently in the room, I equip a gun because there probably will be something coming.

If I could just run around with a gun and flashlight equipped, the game's pace would be shot. The simple point is that requiring the flashlight to be out forces you to make a choice between clarity and fire power and it also indirectly controls how fast you can move through the game.

"There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it."
-Alfred Hitch****
Exactly. This is exactly what sets the game apart from half life IMO.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:13 PM   #29
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

You know...it really isn't THAT dark. It is kinda in the beginning, but not to far into the game you don't have to constantly switch the whole time. You guys are really exaggerating the "problem". I can understand if you played through the entire game and still feel it is a problem, but I can honestly say that there are plenty of lights on to tell where you're going and what's around you for MOST of the game. I hardly ever used the flashlight after the EnPro level. And everything CaptNKILL said too.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:15 PM   #30
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Well thats your view on it and thats fine . I however fail to find the game entertaining, which is a shame since I've been looking forward to it
Old 08-10-04, 12:36 PM   #31
anzak

Well, I finally broke down and bought Doom 3 on my trip to Branson (which is the reason I have not posted in 4 days). I just reached the Alpha Labs but im already getting a little freaked out. So far everything is very VERY polished, thought out even down to the smallest detail. Anyways, to fix the flashlight issue just bind the flashlight to the right mouse button to quckly switch between it and your weapon of choice.
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 12:41 PM   #32
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah that is too bad. Personally I wasn't expecting much in the gameplay department because, let's face it, id's never delivered much. I just wanted to run around blasting dynamically-lit demons from hell, and that's what I got. I really don't play a lot of single player FPS's anymore either since Deus Ex ruined video games for me several years ago*. I do still play Doom 1 and 2 a lot with the ZDoom source mod, and they're still a blast. I guess the last really complex single player shooter I played was Half-Life, which I loved. Anyway, since it was just a bunch of crappy knock-offs and multiplayer games since then, I thought Doom 3 was a breath of fresh air (I'm a fan of single player FPS's). So complaining about having to switch between your gun and flashlight for the first few levels seems kinda silly to me, but hey, like vampireuk said, that's your view on it. I just hope you all learn from this and don't start freaking out about Half-Life 2, because it very well could have just as many little tiny faults that will be more noticable because of your monumental expectations. Just try to have fun with what you get, it's not that hard.

I don't want to hear about Far Cry anymore. I haven't seen a more overrated game than that since Halo. Yes, it has a different setting which is green, blue, and bright. Yes, it uses some nice-looking DirectX 9.0 features. Hell, I love the missions. It's awesome how you can approach them any number of ways. However:

-The story sucks. It's terrible, don't try to deny it.
-The actual game engine, aside from the pixel shaders and draw distance, is not revolutionary or impressive when compared to others (especially the Unreal 2 engine), INCLUDING the lighting.
-It runs like crap on all but the highest-end machines.

So come on, let's be reasonable. No more Far Cry comparisons.

*In my opinion, Deus Ex is the best video game ever made, and nothing has come close to its excellence since it was released.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-04, 12:46 PM   #33
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW

Unavoidable unless you wanted the game to require a 500 meg graphics card.
Its really not. doom3 uses an amazingly low amount of texture memory for what it does. Becuase the High quality runs great on a 128mb card, and they are not even compressing textures! If they used a little compression, mixed with high resolution textures, we would have the same fps we have now. Not to mention its forcing 8xAF. The low quality textures is just a result of the game taking far too long then they expected. They are definetely not gonna go back and redo the textures everytime a new generation of video cards come out. I think they the conversation went a little like this like this:

(Team id) Holy ****! Look at how fast the 5950 renders doom3! lets bump up the graphics a little for those guys.
(carmack) Sure, just allow High quality to force 8x AF so it looks better to the noobs who dont know what AF is.

1 year later....

(Team id) Holy ****!!! the 6800U runs the game and insane fps! What will we do for these guys?
(carmack) Screw it! Make an Ultra setting that disables all texture compression, and lighting compression!!!! We dont have time to redo our games biggest graphical flaw... textures.
Old 08-10-04, 01:10 PM   #34
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
Before I start complaining I’ll first say over all the game is awesome. But there are some things that are lacking…

- Does anyone other than me remember “exact pixel damage skins” ? It seems that feature didn’t make it. Doom 3 version 0.02 alpha, or what ever it was, had them.
- Another feature I don’t think made in into the game is “per polygon damage” (not 100% sure on this one)
doom3 uses hitboxes, just as nearly every other game. this puts less load on the network, makes cheats less likely, and puts way less strain on the processor of the host (which is already a very high amount).
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 01:20 PM   #35
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

lol, you guys are funny... someone gives you a dodge viper and you get in and say "well, i don't like the fact it's an automatic transmission, any competant racer will be able to shift gears on their own" "and the gas mileage sucks really bad, along with the speed in which tires deteriorate" "oh, but i wont mention how damn smooth it looks, and how it rips all other cars a new asshole"

common guys, we all know that d3 has flaws, and it sucks; but damn, have you seen the lighting? no other game has even a fraction of how good the lighting is, same thing goes for specular/bumpmaps. also the sound is ****ing incredible; much better than any other game i've ever played (i guess you'd have to have surround sound to really appreciate that though).

if a french ***** was sucking your dick i'm sure you'd find something wrong with her methods; just enjoy it for ****s sake.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 01:22 PM   #36
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
lol, you guys are funny... someone gives you a dodge viper and you get in and say "well, i don't like the fact it's an automatic transmission, any competant racer will be able to shift gears on their own" "and the gas mileage sucks really bad, along with the speed in which tires deteriorate" "oh, but i wont mention how damn smooth it looks, and how it rips all other cars a new asshole"
hmmm, interesting point. i was going to buy a viper, but now you've convinced me otherwise.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote