Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-04, 10:03 PM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default What Do you think? Tim Sweeney as good/better than carmack?

Ok, first off I have MUCH respect for John Carmack as it was his engines which powered many of the games i love and he is my personal hero,

But Carmack is showing an increasingly wavering interest in games and engines. He only came into the office 3 times a week during the development of Doom3, and he's having a kid soon and Aerospace is taking up his time.
Plus he may have only a few engines left in him and he might not even give them as much care as in his peak (quake3 engine). I mean Doom3 didnt advance much past the year 2002.

Tim Sweeney, has been producing excellent game engines (Unreal Engine 1 and 2 were the best at their time and still look good now), and Unreal Engine 3 is a real beast, boasting graphics which par CG quality and Epic Predicts their tech will be used in MOVIES within the next decade, and may even wipe out pixars technology.

So Sweeney is very ambitious and, has as much skill in my opinion as carmack,he also plans to reach photorealism eventually, carmack, isnt too keen about game engines anymore..

So I think Sweeney capability wise is as good as Carmack, but in ambition and goals...Sweeney definitely.

What do you think? Im not trying to start a flame war but I just want your opinions
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:33 PM   #2
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

Default Re: What Do you think? Tim Sweeney as good/better than carmack?

Sweeney can write engines, but I think the ue2 has some curse, because the latest games haven't been that popular compared to the originals. Unreal 2 compare to Unreal 1, UT2k3/4 compared to UT 1.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Banko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 10:35 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

ut2k3 and ut2k4 were reasonably well-received..

Unreal 2 was a bit shoddy in more ways than 1... it wasn't BAD per se but it felt so much like Halo in many parts and it just didn't have much going for it

still I did enjoy parts of it...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-04, 11:06 PM   #4
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I definetely think that carmack might be falling off... hopefull not since he always has/hopefully will continue to be/ my idol Sweeny is great too, but his engines just dont do me like Carmacks have
Old 08-11-04, 12:29 AM   #5
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

id engines have always been superior than unreal engines. If only because they are fast as **** for the graphics quality. Unreal engines are always slow for the quality they show. There is just something about id's engines that no other engines can touch. I guess its the difference between good code, and great code.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 12:30 AM   #6
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I have always been a fan/always will be a fan of Tim Sweeny's projects, but Carmack wrote the engine for the first FPS and helped create the game that started my Love of FPS... Carmack will always be god in my books, but sweeny is catching up fast.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 03:35 AM   #7
Son Goku

I wouldn't hold Sweeny in the same regard as I would Carmack. Saz probably knows why (if he read my PM), and some others might know as well. It had to do with Unreal, but beyond that a promise is a promise...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 03:50 AM   #8
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Let's take the number of developers who adopt ID's engines and compare that to the number of developers who adopt unreal technology to power their new titles. Furthermore, look at the titles in each list and which are generally better games.

There's a reason Carmack is still God, and just wait until we see new titles using the Doom 3 engine.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-04, 06:57 AM   #9
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I'm not fan of Tim Sweeney. I'm still emotionally scared over trying to play Unreal on a Riva TNT all those years ago.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 07:01 AM   #10
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i will not deny that the unreal engines are nice, but i personally think that as far as modding is concerned, the quake style engines carmack makes are much easier to work with. not to mention, it's not just about graphics -- opengl support for unreal engines suck. i wish they would start developing in opengl, then i would have plenty of man secks with them
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 07:22 AM   #11
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

i think s --weenie's engine is crappy in relation to the output (ie what i see in comarison to what is processed). plus, the ut games (except unreal1 and ut) all pretty much suck and get old after a short time. carmack, actually id, has always been a leader at the forefront of gaming both in technology and in gameplay, and will continue to do so as long as carmack cranks out the engines.
having said that, the unreal engine 3 looks sweet, and it would be a real shame if it turned out to play like another unreal2. epic has to get better people to create a good single player story.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 07:33 AM   #12
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

They'll probably go the ID route and hire a sci-fi writer to come up with a new storyline.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote