Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-04, 08:45 AM   #13
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Re: What Do you think? Tim Sweeney as good/better than carmack?

Epic didn't make Unreal 3

And they're new SP game set to come out in 2006 is not based in the unreal universe but a new one. plus according to PCZone we're getting an Unreal Engine 3 UT game in 2006 also!

Well Carmack's stuff runs very well and have great playability, but i think rendering wise, Sweeney is just as capable as Carmack, but Sweeney is more determined

But JC will be in my book as the most influential programmer ever.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 09:00 AM   #14
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Well Carmack's stuff runs very well and have great playability, but i think rendering wise, Sweeney is just as capable as Carmack, but Sweeney is more determined
How do you mean sweeney is more determined? What grounds do you have to say this on?
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 09:29 AM   #15
Vash
Angel Arms

I've got a lot of respect for both Sweeny and Carmack, but I hold Carmack in higher regard. Sweeny is very talented, and his engines look great, but they are no where near as compact and efficient as Carmack's engines. They both make solid engines, but I think that Carmack's got the edge when it comes to efficiency.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 09:32 AM   #16
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Jason Hall 0wnZ all of j00!
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:19 AM   #17
Zelda_fan

Unreal3 looks better than anything I've ever seen, but I'm sure Carmack has something up his sleeve for his next-gen engine.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:27 AM   #18
gigapower

Send a message via AIM to gigapower

Sweeny's code is crap compaired to Carmacks. Unreal does a lot of things half assed and illogical, and don't even get me started on Unreal Script.
Old 08-11-04, 10:31 AM   #19
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I've got a lot of respect for both Sweeny and Carmack, but I hold Carmack in higher regard. Sweeny is very talented, and his engines look great, but they are no where near as compact and efficient as Carmack's engines. They both make solid engines, but I think that Carmack's got the edge when it comes to efficiency.
Agreed. The impact Carmack & the early guys @ ID have made on the fps game industry will not be surpassed for yrs to come.

Btw don't be to hard on Epic guys, the worse game in the Unreal series, U2, was developed by Legend & even after that, the XMP addon isn't very bad. Unreal 1, UT & UT2004 are all awesome in their own regard. They've been around for quite sometime now, Cliffyb, Mark & the boys are quite respected

Here's to the U3 engine & Carmack really taking us to Mars!
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 12:13 PM   #20
LycosV

I try not to give too much belief in ANY company figurehead (Sweeny, Carmack, etc.) as being the sole reason a game comes out looking, and playing the way it does. History has shown that it's never one guy who makes something work, but it's the boss who get's his name on the patents. Thomas Edison being an excellent example.

That being said, I think they're both great programers, but I think that Sweeny (or his team) has the vision. Id has only ever made one kind of game: monsters from hell, with colors of brown, red, and black. Epic has made planetary vistas with stary skies, waterfalls, lush grass, indoor temples, and spaceships. Epic sees the future of a game engine as shown by what they say about the Unreal Engine 3, and what they've seen with the Unreal Engine 2. An engine can be made to run anything be it FPS, RPG, RTS, or simulator. Id has always been focused on FPSers. The Unreal engine IS the engine of the future, Doom III isn't going to change that, and Souce isn't going to change that. Epic isn't going to give up untill it is.

Also, someone said the Unreal engines ran like crap. Have you SEEN the framerates tou can get in UT2003/2004 with modern cards? Video companies are almost catering to make it run faster. Hundreds of fps at 1600x1200, that's NOT slow. And I don't care what frame rate I get in Quake 3, it's a generation below UT2003/2004, just like I don't care what kind of fps I can get in Duke3D.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-04, 12:34 PM   #21
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

i think sweeny and carmack should combine their talents and create the ultimate game engine, a gamer's wet dream.....
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 12:54 PM   #22
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
i think sweeny and carmack should combine their talents and create the ultimate game engine, a gamer's wet dream.....
To many cooks in the kitchen. No way would those two be able to work together.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 01:24 PM   #23
killahsin

I dunno, when tim sweeny can code a game that runs as stable as a carmack engine from the ground up rather than relying on API releases and tricks. Than I will say he is as good as carmack.

Thats the main difference. Carmack and a few other people in the industry are the guy's API's follow. Sweeny is getting there, is he there yet? I don't think so, but he is very close.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 01:42 PM   #24
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
To many cooks in the kitchen. No way would those two be able to work together.
Yeah, doesn't Carmack like rent out a hotel room and lock himself in for 6 months at a time while cranking out a new engine?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote