Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-04, 02:03 PM   #25
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: What Do you think? Tim Sweeney as good/better than carmack?

it could be done [making the ultimate engine with them both] if there was a good coordinator that told each person what aspect of the game they need to make IMO.

of course, that isn't gonna happen. i don't think competition is as necessary in this case as it is in others; both of these guys have a passion for making new engines, so combining their talents would be almost possible, heh.

like i said though, that would be in a perfect world; which this is far from.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 04:27 PM   #26
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I definetely think that carmack might be falling off... hopefull not since he always has/hopefully will continue to be/ my idol Sweeny is great too, but his engines just dont do me like Carmacks have

But, Every engine carmack makes is a step forward in engine technology and the way the engine renders things, Doom3's engine is so advanced that, no hardware can display its true functionality. Again reinforcing the statement "its not the engine, but what you do with it".

Carmack was so determined to make a huge advance in engines, that he forgot, current hardware has to run it, therefore, we get low rez textures and low poly models because current mainstream hardware couldnt dream of running it.

Hell when I fire up a test map in Doom3 and spawn 10 characters, my machine literally chokes because the poly counts are so high my R9800 is being overloaded.

Name one other developer that actually changes the way engines render things and not just bigger textures with some higher polys and some shaders.

UE3 is fundamentally the same as Doom3 engine, albeit UE3 looks much better, but then consider the target hardware for each engine.

I think Quake 4 and RTCW 2 will show us the true potential of Doom3's engine

I retract my earlier statement that Tim Sweeney is as good as carmack

Also, for anyone worried Carmack will be leaving, heres a quote from a very recent gamespot interview...

"TH: First of all, I think that's a misquote. I think John's opinion is that he has at least one good engine left in him. And that's not even counting how he's going to augment the Doom 3 engine for id's next title. I've heard some speculation in the press about how long John's going to stay in the video game business. But John's approach to the video game business is no different from what it was five years ago or 10 years ago. He's going to continue to do it as long as he likes it. And as long as there are interesting technical challenges for him to solve, then I think he's going to continue to do it."
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:15 AM   #27
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Send a message via ICQ to sonaboy

sweeney's work is like a 72 Corvette with a 454 BB under the hood.

carmack is a Ferarri.
Old 08-14-04, 04:29 AM   #28
mezkal

Sonaboy, by your definition :-

Sweeney's engine - powerful, based on older tech, customised to the hilt to perform at its best and gets you skanky pussy

Carmack's engine - very powerful, based on years of research, hand built, handles like bitch, is extremely overpriced, only applicable in certain cases (can't drive a Ferrari at its "right" speed anywhere really other than Monza, The AutoBahn and some parts of Japan) and gets you the sorta woman you'll be paying for for the rest of your life :P
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
mezkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 11:09 AM   #29
anzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I've got a lot of respect for both Sweeny and Carmack, but I hold Carmack in higher regard. Sweeny is very talented, and his engines look great, but they are no where near as compact and efficient as Carmack's engines. They both make solid engines, but I think that Carmack's got the edge when it comes to efficiency.
I agree completely. A friend of mine owns a Athlon 1.4Ghz 256mb of ram and a Radeon 9600, I was amazed at how great it ran at 800x600. Also, navigating and working with the pak files is a breeze compared to the endless branching of the Unreal 2 engine. To bad the Doom 3 map editor is zombie. Creating a simple room with a 4 sided requires a huge work around, very annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal

Sweeney's engine - powerful, based on older tech, customised to the hilt to perform at its best and gets you skanky pussy

Carmack's engine - very powerful, based on years of research, hand built, handles like bitch, is extremely overpriced, only applicable in certain cases (can't drive a Ferrari at its "right" speed anywhere really other than Monza, The AutoBahn and some parts of Japan) and gets you the sorta woman you'll be paying for for the rest of your life :P
anzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 12:33 PM   #30
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

http://tinyurl.com/6ge5v

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 12:58 PM   #31
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg
http://www.googlefight.com/cgi-bin/c...re=1&langue=us

muahah
Old 08-14-04, 04:18 PM   #32
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal

more like -
sweeney - has lots of bulk, with lots of potential, but only does a few things the best, doesn't work well in every scenario, plastic looking eye candy.
carmack - very powerful, fast, it rated highly in multiple facets of the tests (can go fast in more directions than just a straight line), easily recognizable style and look, sleek.

Old 08-15-04, 09:47 AM   #33
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Let's not forget the genius who is John Romero guys...
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 11:40 AM   #34
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
Let's not forget the genius who is John Romero guys...

anyone know what he's working on?
i haven't heard a peep...
Old 08-15-04, 01:37 PM   #35
killahsin

i think he's working on cell phone games or somthing?
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 01:41 PM   #36
jbirney

How did I miss this thread for so long..well here goes nothing:

Quote:
id engines have always been superior than unreal engines. If only because they are fast as **** for the graphics quality. Unreal engines are always slow for the quality they show. There is just something about id's engines that no other engines can touch. I guess its the difference between good code, and great code.
I don't agree with you at all. How about the first Unreal Game running on a Vodoo card, fast and better looking then Q2's color pallet back then.... unless you liked browns

Quote:
Let's take the number of developers who adopt ID's engines and compare that to the number of developers who adopt unreal technology to power their new titles. Furthermore, look at the titles in each list and which are generally better games.
Well there is the MOH folks that swiched from the Q3 engine to the UT2k4 engine so...

Quote:
i will not deny that the unreal engines are nice, but i personally think that as far as modding is concerned, the quake style engines carmack makes are much easier to work with. not to mention, it's not just about graphics -- opengl support for unreal engines suck.
I have moded for both, and for me the Uscript and abilities of the Unreal engines are much better than the Quake engines. The both have their good and bad points. But having two mods on two different bouns CD (Id's Extremities and GOTYE UT99 from Epic) means I have experince in both and stuck to UT for a reason

Quote:
and in gameplay, and will continue to do so as long as carmack cranks out the engines.
Well thats your opinion. However for the last few years it has not been id setting the game play standard.

Quote:
They both make solid engines, but I think that Carmack's got the edge when it comes to efficiency.
I would agree!

Quote:
Sweeny's code is crap compaired to Carmacks. Unreal does a lot of things half assed and illogical, and don't even get me started on Unreal Script.
Have anything to back that up? If not whatever....

Quote:
UE3 is fundamentally the same as Doom3 engine, albeit UE3 looks much better, but then consider the target hardware for each engine.
Wrong, Doom3 is a DX7 engine (more or less) while as Unreal3 is a true DX9 engine. I could point out some details...but NDAs prevent me

Quote:
carmack is a Ferarri.
At the UT2003 mod summit, Epic after give some top mods makers a crash course in changes from UT99 to UT2k3. It lasted one day and at the end they took us all out to see a movie (after they handed out both ATi 8500/GF4 Ti4200s). There were 23 of us and only 20 cards. Mark Rein was able to find a few more but I wounded up not getting one. Which was ok as I already had both. Anyways after they said lets go to the movie, Tim made the Joke that he can only take one person in his car. I quickly called dibs on it. It was one hell of a ride!!!! Coming out of the parking lot he floored it, I could not hear much over the high pich wine of the motor, then had my whole body thrown into his seat as we quickly reached 90 mph in seconds. Yes sir I had enough money to buy a few GF4 cards...but I did not have enough for a Ferarri.. and may never ride in one again....thus I figured I made the right call BTW at the time Cliffyb had a sweet viper

Ok TBH (not like anyone cares) I think the are both good in their own ways. The two engines are much different. JC is more compact and efficent but limtied in its scope. TS on the other hand is a bit more flexible and is easy to work with. This comes at a price of speed/compatibility. They both have different ideas, different targets and different goals. To compare the two is just as silly as comparing a Chevy to a Ford, or ATI to Nvidia, ect. So in the end they will both get the job done and we as a comunnity are better having both than just one or the other.
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote