Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-04, 04:37 PM   #1
Reaper106
Metal Maniac
 
Reaper106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kamas UTAH
Posts: 300
Default Valve's Steam horror stories

Whats up with steam? I have heard lots of people say they have heard some bad mojo about steam. But never anything more. lets hear some real details about this subject.

Mods I asked this question in another HL2 thread but thought it may deserve a thread of its own. If not as always feel free to glock it
__________________
Reaper

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD


System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 04:38 PM   #2
Clay
Registered User
 
Clay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,993
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Nah, this is fine Reaper.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 04:40 PM   #3
Reaper106
Metal Maniac
 
Reaper106's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kamas UTAH
Posts: 300
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Nah, this is fine Reaper.
TY Clay, Now let the info flow
__________________
Reaper

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD


System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 04:52 PM   #4
Warlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Steam isn't really that bad. Occasionally there would be one or two bugs that they leak. Most of the people who say steam is bad because they can't stand the people who use the shields in counter-strike. IMO steam is way better than Sierra/Won. Steam made it much easier to connect to games, and made it possible to alt+tab from the games without extra programs.
__________________
Intel I7 950@3.4ghz
Asus P6T
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB
eVGA GTX 470
Warlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 05:02 PM   #5
ynnek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

I've heard some annoying stores thru Steam.. concerning how crappy it is..a nd some bugs that didn't let people play "offline".. I see what Gabe is trying to accomplish, over in Valve.. and if it worked perfectly and unobtrusively, it would be a decent thing.. but it sounds like another layer of pain and annoyance in reality. If I was buying a copy, I'd just order a physical copy from a store.

Only reason why I'm getting it thru Steam, is because I ironically have an ATI voucher for HL2, back when I oroginally bought my 9600XT.. lol

So my options are for the ATI voucher.

1) sign up on Steam. download the copy,(preload starts the 17th I hear now) and have it unlock itself.. so you can theoretically play the day it comes out

drawback: you have to go thru steam, no physical copy, just these GCF files.. even when you play single player, you have to go thru steam.. supposidly there is "offline mode" in steam.. but some people have had problems with it..


2) cut out proof, including your reciept(which I dont' haev anymore), fill out a form, and mail the stuff in.. wait 4-6 weeks for a CD to come back with HL2


EDIT: honestly, If I realized before that I had to go thru Steam to download by copy (though it would just be ISO's), I probably would have not gotten the ATI card.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 05:10 PM   #6
Fatman
Registered User
 
Fatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 387
Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Personally I don't have anything against Steam. In the beginning it was a little buggy. But lately it's rock stable. I play DoD, and CS, no problems. I realize that folks on modems might not like it, but people on the fat pipe should have no gripes with it.
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 05:13 PM   #7
Vash
Angel Arms
 
Vash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Rockford, IL
Posts: 624
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

To be honest, I actually don't have any experience with Steam - I've never installed it. I have heard bad stories about it, but my main beef is no physical copy. Steam might be nice for content delivery, patching, and connecting to games, but that's all I would use it for.

Unless, as I said earlier, I have to use it to get HL1 Source. Then I'll be all over it.
__________________
How happy is the blameless Vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 06:09 PM   #8
aAv7
 
aAv7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,250
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
I've heard some annoying stores thru Steam.. concerning how crappy it is..a nd some bugs that didn't let people play "offline".. I see what Gabe is trying to accomplish, over in Valve.. and if it worked perfectly and unobtrusively, it would be a decent thing.. but it sounds like another layer of pain and annoyance in reality. If I was buying a copy, I'd just order a physical copy from a store.

Only reason why I'm getting it thru Steam, is because I ironically have an ATI voucher for HL2, back when I oroginally bought my 9600XT.. lol

So my options are for the ATI voucher.

1) sign up on Steam. download the copy,(preload starts the 17th I hear now) and have it unlock itself.. so you can theoretically play the day it comes out

drawback: you have to go thru steam, no physical copy, just these GCF files.. even when you play single player, you have to go thru steam.. supposidly there is "offline mode" in steam.. but some people have had problems with it..


2) cut out proof, including your reciept(which I dont' haev anymore), fill out a form, and mail the stuff in.. wait 4-6 weeks for a CD to come back with HL2


EDIT: honestly, If I realized before that I had to go thru Steam to download by copy (though it would just be ISO's), I probably would have not gotten the ATI card.

Well your a bit mistaken with your 1.)
You see their only uploading audio and textures that wont change for the game. So you wont be able to actually play HL2 Aug 17th. You'll basically just be able to d/l 3 or 4 folders of files you cant do anything with, until they release the entire game.

As for steam, I dont like the idea of allowing people wide open access to my HD. Not that I'm hiding anything illegal, it's just a privacy issue with me. I've also heard it's rather buggy. I'll opt for the HL2 collector's edition to get HL1 source.
__________________
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-04, 06:35 PM   #9
nvnews-reader
Registered User
 
nvnews-reader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 333
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

I haven't had any problems with steam. Really like the way you don't need to put a cd in the computer to play. I wish all games were the same. It has nice DL/auto update support.
nvnews-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 07:33 PM   #10
ynnek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Well thats different than I heard... I heard once the game is gold, they preload the whole game up, but it will be encrypted/locked.. Once the actual release date comes out, then you'll be able to play the game.... This way makes sense since the game isn't changing after its gold, and there won't be all these people trying to download HL2 right at the release date... so I'm hoping this is true. guess we'll find out soon.

BTW, whats this about having full access to your HD? You mean write access, or do they also have read access outside of Steam?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
Well your a bit mistaken with your 1.)
You see their only uploading audio and textures that wont change for the game. So you wont be able to actually play HL2 Aug 17th. You'll basically just be able to d/l 3 or 4 folders of files you cant do anything with, until they release the entire game.

As for steam, I dont like the idea of allowing people wide open access to my HD. Not that I'm hiding anything illegal, it's just a privacy issue with me. I've also heard it's rather buggy. I'll opt for the HL2 collector's edition to get HL1 source.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 08:01 PM   #11
LycosV
Registered User
 
LycosV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 888
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Steam is just a bad idea. You purchase something that you have no real copy of and you have to connect to their server to play. What if Valve goes bankrupt in the future, or they decide that it's finally time to finish Steam off, you're SOL. Having an actual boxed copy of a game that you can install and play at will, even without an internet connection is better.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 08:04 PM   #12
nvnews-reader
Registered User
 
nvnews-reader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 333
Default Re: Valve's Steam horror stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by LycosV
Steam is just a bad idea. You purchase something that you have no real copy of and you have to connect to their server to play. What if Valve goes bankrupt in the future, or they decide that it's finally time to finish Steam off, you're SOL. Having an actual boxed copy of a game that you can install and play at will, even without an internet connection is better.
I will continue to buy boxed games but use steam when gaming instead of cds.
nvnews-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civ V Leaves Leonardo's, Joins Steam Workshop News Archived News Items 0 06-17-12 03:00 AM
Valve's Source engine to power upcoming animated film News Archived News Items 0 06-10-12 10:20 PM
New Free to Play on Steam - The Lord of the Rings Online News Archived News Items 0 06-06-12 02:50 PM
Civilization V is coming to the Steam Workshop! News Archived News Items 0 06-02-12 09:30 PM
The Dream Machine Wakes Up On Steam News Archived News Items 0 05-14-12 11:10 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.