Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-04, 07:51 PM   #1
bms20

Default Stability problems with 6800 Ultra w/ nforce2 chipset?

Guys,

I just upgraded from a Ti4600 to a 6800 ultra. The machine ran fine with the Ti4600; aside from some issues with twin view. Now that I've upgraded to the 6800 Ultra, the machine is not stable. I'm using the same linux-ia32 driver (6111) as with the old card.

Is anyone else having problems like this with 6800 ultras?

I've got a 550W Antec True Power power supply, and two separate rails connected to the GF6800. The motherboard is an Epox 8rda+ with an Athlon XP 2700 cpu. I've disabled agp 8x and disabled APIC in the bios menus. The OS is Mandrake 10.0, and the operating temperaturs (read from the nvidia-settings) are: Core temperature: 76, Ambient: 54.

Any info would be appreciated!

-Brett
bms20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 08:05 AM   #2
holoman

Default Re: Stability problems with 6800 Ultra w/ nforce2 chipset?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms20
Guys,

Is anyone else having problems like this with 6800 ultras?

-Brett

Yes!

I have as posted earlier lots of problems with my 6800 Ultra. Had a Quadro 980 XGL, and the box was 100% stable with 61.06. Changed to the 6800 Ultra, and one of the monitors would not go into the native resolution of 1600x1200. I am now running with only one monitor. Some OpenGL applications works, some causes the box to freeze totally. Nothing short of a power cycle will help. I have also experimented by turning AGP off, but it did not help. The box even freezes totally sometimes when only 2D applications are running.

Have tried to upgrade to 61.11, but that did not make any difference.

Regards,

holoman
holoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 08:28 AM   #3
bms20

Holoman,

What motherboard/chipset are you running?

I've taken the card into work, and am running on a single 1600x1200 CRT; and surprize suprize, its stable. I'm leaning away from suspecting the card now, and am thinking the problem is more to do with the motherboard at home.

The board at work is a dual Athlon MP 2000+. Not sure of the make of motherboard, but its definitely the AMD dual cpu chipset.

Also surprizing is that the machine is holding up with a 300W power supply, although I'm not running 3d stuff.
Old 08-13-04, 08:42 AM   #4
holoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms20
Holoman,

What motherboard/chipset are you running?
It's a Supermicro X5DA8 with chipset Intel E7505. It was 100% stable with the old Quadro 980 XGL card. Absolutely nothing was changed except for switching the graphics card. So I'm pretty convinced that the 6800U card does not yet have a useable driver.

Regards,

holoman
holoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 09:03 AM   #5
bms20

Correction ... Just crashed on work's dual Athlon. Rather, it didn't crash, just deadlocked running the KDE screen saver Euphoria. I was able to log in remotely, and kill X and get the machine back w/o rebooting.

Looks like the drivers aren't quite ready on linux.

Oddly enough, the old Radeon 7500 rendered selected columns and rows in GNumeric (the one shipped with RH 9.0) with a blue background. These NVidia drivers do not. Anyone else seeing similar behavior?

Its good news to see these posts, as I was about ready to return the card thinking it was a hardware fault...
Old 08-13-04, 09:47 AM   #6
DeLorean

I am running a 6800 Ultra on a dual Athlon MP (2800+ on Tyan Thunder K7 (2.14 BIOS rev)), 61.11 Nvidia drivers on the FC2 2.6.7-1.494.2.2smp kernel, AGP 4x using agpgart. The only time I have a problem is when I use the nvidia-settings app to set AA levels, and that only with RTCW and Tux Racer (commercial version). If I change the AA setting, I have to delete the config file before starting the games (once recreated with the new AA in effect, they work fine until it is changed again). Strange, but true. Serious Sam doesn't need the config file recreated to keep working, maybe the other devs should ask Mr. Gordon to help out...

I just upgraded from a GF4 Ti4600 I had been using for a long time, I had to delete the config files for the above as well as my .xscreensaver file for some reason. Once the .xscreensaver file was recreated (set to random with just my favorites in the list), the OGL screen savers stopped getting hung up. This is under Gnome rather than KDE, but maybe recreating certain config files will help there as well. I don't see anything in any of the three config files that should make this happen, but for some reason it has solved the problem for me.

I forgot to mention, the power supply is the original 460 Watt supply that was the only one that would work with this motherboard at the time of release... I also forgot to add that I do get the blue for the selected columns and rows in Gnumeric. What else did I forget...
DeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 10:24 AM   #7
bms20

Oddly enough, after a restart of XF86 on RedHat 9, I'm getting the blue background on GNumeric column selection... Very strange. Just seems that there is a lot of variability in the behavior of the driver....

I think I'm going to try and build 2.6.7 on the epox-8rda machine at home, since I can't really mess with work's computer too much.... You're also running XOrg, which I'm not....

Those are two things for us having problems to try.