Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-04, 09:58 PM   #13
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81
Default Re: No Innovation in First Person Shooters

Evil Genius

this game looks cool but i'm not a big fan of it's genre...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-04, 10:00 PM   #14
Saint Lucifer
Not watching Manning poop

Note, I'll only edit your quote slightly just to save space. The editing will be limited to the order of your list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
personally...I think there's plenty of themes that haven't been put to good use

here are a few examples

1960's spy themes
1970's cop theme
1950's film noir
These might be interesting.
Quote:
civil war
world war 1
Modern weaponry is such that there's only a brief period where it's interesting or fair. One of the reasons that I think the World War 2 theme is so popular is that that is the era before weapons got so rediculously powerful (laser guided weapons, tactical nuclear weapons, etc, etc) but yet weapons were also coming into their own. Also, it's in the era where you were pretty evenly matched with your adversary. So in the end, you get to use submachine guns and perhaps an assault rifle while for the most part they're in their infancy. It adds a certain flair to them.

In regards to the Civil War, you'd be using rifles with really long reload times and of course you'd sort of just stand or crouch in place and take pot shots with perhaps the occasional bayonette charge.

For World War 1, you'd mostly just be running from trench to trenche taking shots with bolt action rifles or machine guns.

Really, that doesn't seem too compelling.

Quote:
fantasy first person shooters
Interestingly enough, Daikatana would have fulfilled this role.
Old 08-11-04, 10:11 PM   #15
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Ha! diakatana! no comment....hehe

or what if you took one of those settings and embellished a little... i know this is a bad example but the will smith movie wild wild west...it was set back in the day but had tech elements in it

say you're a spy in world war 1...might be some good stealth gameplay there...and it wouldn't be like your typical spy game

now here's a game i would like to see:

set in the 60's or 70's in Berlin. it'd be a stealth game with a dark heavy theme...it would be the height of the cold war and the berlin wall would be up...if a developer could really infuse the environment with the sense of desperation that the east berliners felt...imagine the gameplay possibilities...political assassinations, escaping to democracy, sneaking through STASI facilities...blasting commies... if anything the gameplay would be as interesting as splinter cell...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
Old 08-11-04, 10:18 PM   #16
Saint Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
or what if you took one of those settings and embellished a little... i know this is a bad example but the will smith movie wild wild west...it was set back in the day but had tech elements in it

say you're a spy in world war 1...might be some good stealth gameplay there...and it wouldn't be like your typical spy game
That might work... but at the same time, I don't have much faith in other people's ability to suspend their disbelief. Refer to the flashlight fiasco involving Doom 3. "OMG, THERE MUST BE DUCTTAPE ON MARZ. LOL."

It's a design decision, but that doesn't seem to matter.
Quote:
now here's a game i would like to see:

set in the 60's or 70's in Berlin. it'd be a stealth game with a dark heavy theme...it would be the height of the cold war and the berlin wall would be up...if a developer could really infuse the environment with the sense of desperation that the east berliners felt...imagine the gameplay possibilities...political assassinations, escaping to democracy, sneaking through STASI facilities...blasting commies... if anything the gameplay would be as interesting as splinter cell...
That would make for an incredibly compelling game if you could choose who to side with. They definetly couldn't go easy on the roleplaying possibilities...

Do you turn in your neighbors and have them sent to 're-education camps' so that you can advance in society? Or do you help them escape?

Sounds good.
Old 08-11-04, 11:04 PM   #17
killahsin

vampire bloodlines should be pretty innovative or at least it looks that way, from all the moviesd i've watched
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 03:24 AM   #18
eL_PuSHeR

Thumbs up Re: No Innovation in First Person Shooters

Ahh, I still have fond memories of playing both System Shock games and Clive Barker's Undying.
Creative GeForce4 Ti4200
Integrated CMI8738 audio
eL_PuSHeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 05:39 AM   #19
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

How about an fps designed around the 1920's prohibition ?
Where you play a sort of cliched Sam Spade - Private Detective. Remember King of Chicago, on the Amiga ?

Or how about an fps designed around the ZX Spectrum game School Daze ? Where your weapons are a catapult, pee shooters, fists, etc.. Remake

What about an fps designed around the classic game Bruce Lee ? A game released on the old 8-bit platforms. This was a superb game, that just plays soo well, and still does.

A decent Western, but something as good as the classic Lucas Arts game Outlaws ? Outlaws, IMO, is still the best western fps we have, and hundreds of times better than the rubbish we have today like Red Dead Revolver, which I personally thought was simply rubbish.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
D.K.Tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 05:44 AM   #20
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
"OMG, THERE MUST BE DUCTTAPE ON MARZ. LOL."
Nobody ever said anything like that and you know it, people pointed out their concerns and objections to this. Perhaps you should grow up about people having a differing opinion over a game design.

Old 08-12-04, 06:02 AM   #21
Saint Lucifer

Fair enough, and perhaps you should try and understand that the statement was clearly an exaggeration used to illustrate my point.
Old 08-12-04, 07:01 AM   #22
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Iron Storm = different, although it was executed poorly from what I heard... IIRC there was a lotta hype surrounding the development of this game, but must be it didn't pan out as expected... It was quite a cool idea IMO to have a game set in Wartime 1960's where WWI just continued to drag out...

http://www.frictionlessinsight.com/P.../IronStorm.htm

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 07:55 AM   #23
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

I've always wanted to try out iron storm but never got around to it... might have to look for a demo...best buy has it cheap

Also what about a game with a different cultural theme...like Asian, South American, etc...?

Even if the story and theme are lackluster it'd be nice to see a game with some really cool defined characters...unreal 2 tried but they just ended up with ultra cliché characters

I always find myself referring to the no one lives forever games (Except for contract jack

There were so many memorable characters from that game...armstrong, inge wagner, bruno, volkov...and it had a killer sense of humor...i think it was the first game that successfully did the humor while being serious...
Old 08-12-04, 09:08 AM   #24
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

its all about having a good story (in single player) and utilizing the engine to its fullest potential (not necessarily having bells and whistles, i wont name names, but using the engine effectively or at least developing an engine that will immerse the player even further). a lot of fps nowadays are very derivative to the point where some developers have just given up on trying to create a story and rather throw out a game where people just shoot each other (ahem ut2003). i think that the next logical step in this genre is for the modding community to create single player games. essentially, some developers have just tossed out an engine and some developing kits and handed the reigns to the modders. we've seen games like cs, which brought the tactical team based fps to the mainstream (rainbow 6 doesnt really count), and games like ns, which brought a starcraft like rts theme into the fps genre. a bonus for us as consumers is that we will then be able to have free access to a bunch of games (as we do now, but mostly for multiplayer).
sorry my writing is all over the place, im multitasking like a mofo.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote