**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: No Innovation in First Person Shooters

I can't wait for a Soldier of Fortune III
Old 08-12-04, 09:21 AM   #26
Saint Lucifer
Not watching Manning poop

Soldier of Fortune 3 might be good, but in all honesty, I was sort of disappointed by the second one. It just wasn't violent enough.
Old 08-12-04, 09:22 AM   #27
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

The single player was fairy average, but the multiplayer has been worked on a lot and is brilliant
Old 08-12-04, 09:26 AM   #28
Zelda_fan

FPS are generally about getting sweet graphics and engines and not too much about storyline and innovation. There have been very few innovative FPS games. Doom III had a few innovative features like the flashlight switching gameplay style (which I happen to like), the PDA, and the new console mouse interface that eliminates the need for a use button. If you want innovation check out RPGs as IMHO they are the most innovative games out there. Neverwinter Nights HOTU was a good game. The BG I and II series were great. Also take a look at Dragon Age which will probably be released in two years, but it looks great!
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 09:50 AM   #29
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

rpg's actually have gotten pretty stagnant too imho. all the games run like this: basically a group of about 5 characters who go around, fight, gain exp, gain weapons and spells, rinse, repeat, etc etc etc... the only difference i see in rpgs is the names of the characters and the graphics. but essentially the gameplay really hasnt changed since final fantasy 1.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 09:58 AM   #30
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Ever played Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter? Talk about brilliant and addicting. And innovative. Most underrated game of last year, in my opinion. And vampireuk, with regards to Saint Lucifer's "OMG THERE MUST BE DUCTTAPE ON MARZ. LOL." comment, it seemed very appropriate to me because any thread you read about Doom 3 ANYWHERE has at least half its post count taken up by people crying about the flashlight. After a while, it starts to read like that.

And to Saint Lucifer, that was really funny
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:13 AM   #31
jnd3
Sword Saint

Send a message via AIM to jnd3 Send a message via Yahoo to jnd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
now here's a game i would like to see:

set in the 60's or 70's in Berlin. it'd be a stealth game with a dark heavy theme...it would be the height of the cold war and the berlin wall would be up...if a developer could really infuse the environment with the sense of desperation that the east berliners felt...imagine the gameplay possibilities...political assassinations, escaping to democracy, sneaking through STASI facilities...blasting commies... if anything the gameplay would be as interesting as splinter cell...
In a similar vein, how about something in pre-WWII Germany? I'm reading a book right now, Jeffrey Deaver's Garden of Beasts ... set in Berlin, 1936 ... an American hitman has been "recruited" to assassinate a high-level Nazi. As I've been reading through it I've been thinking how cool it would be as a game ...

Anonymous Rex is another one ... sorta like Max Payne, but the main character is a velociraptor disguised as a human. Think of the possibilities!

I wonder why more games aren't made from books? I can't be the only gamer who likes to read, can I?

Mobile: Apple PowerBook 12" // PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz // 1.25 GB PC2700 // GeForce FX 5200Go 64 MB // 60 GB // OS 10.4.10

Gaming: XBox 360 Premium // Samsung LNS2651D // Wireless Networking Adapter // SwordSaintJND3
jnd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:17 AM   #32
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd3
I wonder why more games aren't made from books? I can't be the only gamer who likes to read, can I?
What's a book?

My friend and I were having a similar discussion to this the other day. We ended up trying to brainstorm new game ideas and the best one we came up with was inspired by one of our favorite anime series - Battle Athletes.

We have it set up as an MMORPG where players can create and train their character in various athletic events - everything from biathalon to the 100m dash. Players can compete against each other and earn points to allow them admission to the "University Satellite" where the best of the best athletes again compete. If you don't make the grade, you get sent back home.

It's a game that could easily be done with a retuned KOTOR or Star Wars: Galaxies engine (at least I think it could).
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-04, 10:20 AM   #33
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
rpg's actually have gotten pretty stagnant too imho. all the games run like this: basically a group of about 5 characters who go around, fight, gain exp, gain weapons and spells, rinse, repeat, etc etc etc... the only difference i see in rpgs is the names of the characters and the graphics. but essentially the gameplay really hasnt changed since final fantasy 1.
Check out gothic or gothic III. IMHO they gave a lot of fresh innovation to the RPG genera.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 10:40 AM   #34
gmontem

Accolade released a spy game of some sort a long time ago that took place somewhere around the Berlin Wall. Was called "The Third Courier", I think.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-04, 09:50 PM   #35
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

I personally thought soldier of fortune 2 was pretty mediocre which was a big disappointment coming from raven...

I think what needs to happen is that an established game developer needs to take a risk and make a really unique product...more people would definately pay attention if a developer that was famous did something different... imagine if ID suddenly decided to make a 1960's spy game...people would pay attention to it ... but if some small studio decided to do this no one would care...

I don't think it'd be too hard for a developer to infuse some character and plot into a first person shooter....what we need is an intelligent shooter...

any Kill Bill fans out there? that movie was an awesome action movie...but at the same time it had a pretty involving (yet cliché) story... lots of characters, lots of dialogue...i think that same attitude can be applied to a game...

speaking of tarantino...what if a game tried telling the story out of order...split the story up in segments and move stuff around...it'd let the player piece the plot together in a totally new way
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 12:32 PM   #36
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Kill Bill is awesome. Yeah, it would be pretty damn cool if a game played out like that, and Max Payne kinda did occasionally if I remember right. Or maybe it was Max Payne 2. I dunno, but both those games rocked. But I like what you're saying about innovation, and I totally agree. You know what I'd like to see? A game set in the middle ages that is actually REALISTIC. You know, without trolls and wizards and magic arrows and crap. That's all cool and everything, but it'd be even cooler to play as a crusader or a knight or something, and actually do the kinds of things they did. That would be neat. Just imagine - you could smite hordes of evil Muslims in your great campaign to reclaim Jerusalem in the name of God, raping and pillaging along the way, just the way Jesus would want you to! You could take Muslim children as your slaves and force them to do any manner of things because, after all, they are godless heathens desecrating your holy land! Think of the possibilities!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote