Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-04, 01:30 PM   #37
ynnek

Default Re: No Innovation in First Person Shooters

Well, FarCry was pretty innovative for me cause that was the first game with highly varied environments.. maybe I missed out on some other games, but the whole jungle scene blew me away in Far Cry..

Doom 3 was neat, cause of the dark shadows and all, but besides that it played like Doom. good and bad.

I like the Bioware RPG's, like NWN and KOTOR.. you actually feel the difference between playing as a good or evil character... and I hear KOTOR2 will make it an even more important!

For both types of games, I'm hoping for better Physics, AI, enviornmental interaction, and "freedom" in the future..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:21 PM   #38
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

Not to sound to shallow but I want to see a nice colorful game...games are so drab and gray it seems now...

far cry's tropical setting was a breath of fresh air but i felt it was the equivalent of a jean claude van damme movie...or a corny steven segal flick...fun, but forgettable

Any first person shooter that could explore a past era that wasn't world war 2 or vietnam would be nice...

I'm kind of stuck in the shooter genre because there's lots of times where i have limited time to play a game...an RPG would get me too involved and i wouldn't do anything else...star wars knights of the old republic really messed up my schedule...

Oh and anyone remember shogo??
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:39 PM   #39
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkrash81
Oh and anyone remember shogo??
One of my all-time favorites. The only good implementation of the Lithtech engine as far as I'm concerned. I first saw Shogo running on a TNT1, and thought the lighting effects were really incredible.

Shogo is something I'll even fire up today if the modd strikes me. I'm amazed that it's perfectly compatible with Windows XP and modern graphics hardware.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-04, 11:40 PM   #40
gmontem

Would love to play an official Ghostbusters FPS game. Trashing an entire room so you can set the trap sounds like my kind of game.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 12:04 AM   #41
walkndude

Shogo was a blast, monolith just flat out makes the type of fps I enjoy playing. Nolf 1 & 2 were instant classics as well as tron 2.0.

Kinda bummed me out to read that they've been bought by warner bros. -I dont think anything good has ever come from something like this.
Old 08-14-04, 01:34 AM   #42
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I wanna play a jurassic park game! Trespasser 2!!!
Old 08-14-04, 01:55 AM   #43
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkndude
Shogo was a blast, monolith just flat out makes the type of fps I enjoy playing. Nolf 1 & 2 were instant classics as well as tron 2.0.

Kinda bummed me out to read that they've been bought by warner bros. -I dont think anything good has ever come from something like this.
I liked NOLF2 except for the apparent flaw in its engine that would cause rampant stuttering whenever there was more than one enemy on the screen. I got to about the 5th chapter before I couldn't tolerate it any more.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 08:07 AM   #44
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Warner Bro's acquisition of monolith was one of the worst things that could have happened to monolith in my opinion...hopefully they won't stifle monolith's creative ability...

Maybe now since crytek had great success with far cry their next game will be something new and fresh...

Yeah, where's a good dinosaur first person shooter? you'd think that it would be an idea that someone would have tried by now....

Don't you think doom 3 would have been more compelling if you had met someone half way through the base and she helped you out the rest of the game and then gets killed at the end...that would have made the mundane plot a little more interesting

now when gameplay is concerned i've noticed that a lot of games try to ad more abilities to the player but the controls end up being too numerous...far cry had too many controls if you ask me...sometimes its hard to go around blowing stuff up when there are too many buttons to press... i really liked doom 3's simplicity in terms of controls...except no leaning??? i think it's going to be a challenge for developers to keep making more involved gameplay while keeping user interface easy to use and simiple to learn...i thought raven did a particularly good job with jedi outcast and jedi academy in terms of controls...there was a lot you could do but the controls never became burdensome...force powers, secondary fire, lightsaber stance, weapons, etc...

i have always found it helpful to use a use a five button mouse...can't stand it when a game won't let you use a five button mouse...i can't imagine how i played games without one...
it would be real nice to see a continuation of the hexen / heretic series from them...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/

Last edited by karkrash81; 08-14-04 at 08:20 AM.

Old 08-16-04, 09:24 PM   #45
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Anyone been following "Call of Cthulhu"...?

this game looks promising though i'm not sure how the no HUD is going to work...
Old 08-16-04, 11:01 PM   #46
Ghosthunter

how unique can you get except for graphics? In reality that is the only thing that will truly change over time.

While every once in a while a game will come out that is truly unique and innovative like Mafia, or Grim Fandago, or Max Payne...after a while they are all the same rehashed with better graphics.

But i am not complaining...I do agree a game is not all about the graphics..but if I spent all this money on video card and a good system..you better believe i want to see some really good graphics or may as well go back to playing Playstation
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 11:14 PM   #47
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

while graphics are easily the most recognizable and one of the most important features in a first person shooter...

there's more to graphics than being technologically advanced in my opinion...i'd like to see someone take advanced graphics and create something other than a war game, or a gray sci fi game... it just seems that shooters are stuck in a creative rut...it's not that the games aren't good it's just that they're just polishing what's already been done...

i personally think that there are still a great many ideas that haven't been used yet...

haha oh well, maybe i'm just whining...haha

and i can't wait for the first real good vietnam game to come out... viet cong just didn't cut it for me...
Old 08-17-04, 05:02 AM   #48
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Meh, I don't think graphics are all that important for actual entertainment value. Sure it's cool to see some nice shadows or high-resolution textures the first time around, but that's not what makes people come back to the game again and again. Natural Selection is probably one of my all-time favorite first-person games, and it's graphics pale in comparision to Doom 3 or even Quake 3. System Shock 2 is another one that I love, and it looks worse than a PS1 game in some ways. I've played through Deus Ex 1 several times, once on my old 200mhz computer where I was getting around 5 FPS, and it's graphics aren't really anything to write home about (though the large environments are nice).

The problem isn't that innovation doesn't exist, the problem is that it's ignored. How many FPS fans have even heard of Breakdown, a first-person game with an emphisis on hand-to-hand fighting? The popularity of games like SS2, Deus Ex, Breakdown, and Natural Selection put togeather might not even be half as well known as Doom 3, but personally I found them all more engaging and entertaining than Doom 3 (not to say I didn't have fun with Doom 3 too, though). In the end graphics and other media-based aspects of the game like sound may get you to play through the game, but it's gameplay and innovation which will keep you coming back to the game over and over.

And BTW, I have one of the most unique and innovative ideas ever seen in a first-person game that I'm thinking of turning into a Half-life 2 mod, so if that ever gets done I think you'll see REAL innovation in the genre . I'm not willing to reveal much more yet (well, at least not until real progress is made on it), but the game has no user-wielded guns, no hud, and only uses 7 buttons on the keyboard (all of which are movement-related buttons) yet has the potential for unbelievably complex gameplay...start taking guesses at what it is
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote