Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-04, 08:20 AM   #25
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 1.0-6113 for FreeBSD thread

Note that vm.old_msync is not an environment variable, but a sysctl OID; you will need to set it manually using sysctl vm.old_msync=1 or make an appropriate entry in /etc/sysctl.conf.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:32 AM   #26
ricsip

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Note that vm.old_msync is not an environment variable, but a sysctl OID; you will need to set it manually using sysctl vm.old_msync=1 or make an appropriate entry in /etc/sysctl.conf.
Ok, i got it. Writing into sysctl.conf, appears the right value. But the system still crashes, even on my OTHER machine (Cel 300, Riva TNT2 Vanta, Intel 440 LX motherboard, so not a VIA bug). I run bzflag 2 times, after starting 3rd and quitting the screen freezes and 5-10 seconds a reboot occurs. (even old_msyn set to 1)
ricsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:34 AM   #27
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The VM OID is a partial workaround, please check if the behavior improves with the patches mentioned in the README.
Old 08-23-04, 04:48 PM   #28
Harvey Pooka

Anyone noticing a brief black screen every so often? Rarely, the screen will go black as if resetting itself then return to normal over a two to three second period.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 07:08 PM   #29
jamie

Thumbs up Re: 1.0-6113 for FreeBSD thread

I don't mean to sound like a brown-nose, but I have to say that the driver works perfectly for me - and it's because of your continued FreeBSD support that I'll be *sure* to buy an nvidia card when I upgade my current card...

Cheers,
Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 02:21 PM   #30
dulli

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius
I updated my kernel and world as of 2004/08/14 00:00 UTC and installed, then built the driver, but it locks my machine up solid when starting.

I have a Fx 5200 Go in an Inspiron 8600.

The 4365 drivers work fine.. I am going to try twiddling with AGP settings next..

I have the same problem with quite the same hardware: a DELL Precision M60 with Quadro FX Go700. FreeBSD is current (less than 24 hours old). Also tried fiddling around but no solution. Perhaps an incompatility of the current driver with the laptop design (chipset...). I'm also looking forward to a solution to this problem.
dulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 02:44 PM   #31
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dulli: are you setup to catch the panic and submit a stack trace to freebsd-gfx-bugs@nvidia.com?
Old 08-24-04, 03:00 PM   #32
dulli

@zander: I could do so tomorrow at the university (where I have a serial null-modem cable). Or is something like http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/18.13.shtml enough? Could you please tell me (via PM) what I need to send to freebsd-gfx-bugs and how to obtain it, since I've never debugged drivers before. If necessary I can recompile the kernel, use a serial null-modem cable or whatever is needed.

Old 08-24-04, 06:01 PM   #33
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dulli: a simple stack trace from kdb/ddb, captured via null-modem serial connection, along with appropriately detailed information about your hardware and software configuration would already help a lot.
Old 08-25-04, 02:22 AM   #34
darius
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulli
@zander: I could do so tomorrow at the university (where I have a serial null-modem cable). Or is something like http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/18.13.shtml enough? Could you please tell me (via PM) what I need to send to freebsd-gfx-bugs and how to obtain it, since I've never debugged drivers before. If necessary I can recompile the kernel, use a serial null-modem cable or whatever is needed.
If you're using a recent -current you will need to compile with KDB as well as DDB to get access to the debugger to get more info (unless you want to copy the stack trace by hand - not fun)

You can also debug via firewire (very neat )
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 09:10 AM   #35
dulli

Just read about debugging over Firewire. That's really cool, accessing a dead OS' core. I will try it this weekend.
Old 08-27-04, 07:47 PM   #36
lanjoe9

I've tried to use this driver in FreeBSD 5.3b1 but xorgconfig never detects the nvidia driver (yet the nvidia_drv.o file is there), and the only devices created are nvidia0 and nvidiactl.

I think it has to do with this:
The /dev/nvidia device files will be
created (unless the system is using devfs)
(Found in the README )

So what should I do if the system is running devfs?
Has anyone got it working with FreeBSD 5.3b1?
lanjoe9 is offline   Reply With Quote