Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-04, 05:36 PM   #85
darius
foo

Default Re: Nforce drivers for BSD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenad
Is there any possibility to see in (some time) the Nforce drivers for FreeBaSD as well?
What do they do?
There is a port which can talk to the network device (nvnet) and snd_ich talks to the sound device (on my nForce2 anyway).
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 04:14 AM   #86
skitchin

Default Re: 1.0-6113 for FreeBSD thread

Was anyone able to get nvidia driver to work with inspiron 8600? Mine seems to lock up whenever I tried to start X-windows. I'm using FreeBSD 5.3 and nvidia driver 6113 is causing problems. I'm currently using the default nv driver in xorg.conf for now until this problem is solved.
skitchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-04, 04:31 AM   #87
darius
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchin
Was anyone able to get nvidia driver to work with inspiron 8600? Mine seems to lock up whenever I tried to start X-windows. I'm using FreeBSD 5.3 and nvidia driver 6113 is causing problems. I'm currently using the default nv driver in xorg.conf for now until this problem is solved.
Try the 4365 drivers - I can't get the 6113 drivers to work on my Inspiron either

either I get a hard lockup, or spontaneous reboot..
Old 11-23-04, 10:49 AM   #88
skitchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius
Try the 4365 drivers - I can't get the 6113 drivers to work on my Inspiron either

either I get a hard lockup, or spontaneous reboot..
I already tried that and it doesn't like 5.3 version either. I guess 5.3 had too many changes that 4365 driver breaks during installation. I wish I could revert back to 5.2.1 which it works great. However, updating the ports to the latest stuff which including XFree86 4.4.0 will break the nvidia driver. This is little bit frustrating since I bought this laptop less than a month ago to use it for OpenGL programming. I'm still stuck with my old laptop since it works great but this... I dunno.

The only complaint is I have is that the nvidia driver for FreeBSD is buggy and long wait before next release. They need to have something like a beta driver that's updated very often so we can test them out and let nvidia team know.
Old 11-23-04, 05:35 PM   #89
darius
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchin
I already tried that and it doesn't like 5.3 version either. I guess 5.3 had too many changes that 4365 driver breaks during installation. I wish I could revert back to 5.2.1 which it works great. However, updating the ports to the latest stuff which including XFree86 4.4.0 will break the nvidia driver. This is little bit frustrating since I bought this laptop less than a month ago to use it for OpenGL programming. I'm still stuck with my old laptop since it works great but this... I dunno.
I'm running close to 5.3 (not 5.2.1) and the 4365 driver works fine.
What happens when you try it?
Old 11-25-04, 10:09 AM   #90
Ilkorin

Unhappy Re: 1.0-6113 for FreeBSD thread

Im running a Compaq Presario 8960SE with an GeForce FX 5950 Ultra using nvidias 1.6113 drivers on FreeBSD 5.3... when i try to close my window manager i sometimes get hang ups, the screen first goes black and then the text i wrote before x started comes up in a greyish colour... its very annoying cause after some hard restarts the whole system f'cks up :S

anyone got any qlues?
Ilkorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-04, 01:06 PM   #91
lanjoe9

No matter what I do, NVRM always detects agp.ko
I commented it out in my kernel config file, and I actually deleted it from my entire filesystem, but it still seems to detect it, even if kldstat does not show it ( how can this be if the file doesn't even exist anymore?!).

Has anyone had this problem too?

Thanks in advance
lanjoe9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 03:27 PM   #92
Harvey Pooka

Did you add this line to /boot/device.hints:

hint.agp.0.disabled="1"

I think it was in a README.
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-04, 10:31 AM   #93
skitchin

Does anyone know when the next expected driver release for FreeBSD since the last one was 4 months ago? I'm still having trouble with the current version of driver working with FreeBSD 5.3 and I hoped that the newer driver will fix the problem.
Old 12-18-04, 11:42 PM   #94
rhoden.id.au

I too have a Dell Inspiron 8600 where the old driver worked fine in Freebsd 5.2.1, but after upgrading to Freebsd 5.3 and to the lastest nvidia driver, my system hangs (not reboots) when i startx. It occurs if i use the native or the nvidia agp drivers. It hadn't occured to me to try recompiling the old nvidia driver. I will do that tonight and report back.
rhoden.id.au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-04, 08:01 PM   #95
skitchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoden.id.au
I too have a Dell Inspiron 8600 where the old driver worked fine in Freebsd 5.2.1, but after upgrading to Freebsd 5.3 and to the lastest nvidia driver, my system hangs (not reboots) when i startx. It occurs if i use the native or the nvidia agp drivers. It hadn't occured to me to try recompiling the old nvidia driver. I will do that tonight and report back.
I've tried that before and it didn't work. Let me know if you have better luck than me.
Old 12-20-04, 07:58 PM   #96
lanjoe9

Thanks Harvey, that stopped the message and actually stopped another which said "stray irq 7".

However I can't make my desktop computer's card work, I'll try the various solutions floating around here..
lanjoe9 is offline   Reply With Quote