Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-04, 11:20 PM   #1
Greg

Default Guess what the next Id title will be

Id has just proved they can make a atmospheric indoor horror sci-fi. I think Todd mentioned the next title will be a recognised name/brand. We also hear Wolfenstein will reappear from another developer...

So I guess that the next game could be Aliens. Which in my opinion would be way cool.

...But I am probably full of crap, so what do you think?
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 11:21 PM   #2
superklye

Default Re: Guess what the next Id title will be

Quake 4
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 11:28 PM   #3
Clay

Quake 4 is not an id title. Raven is using the Doom 3 engine and has historically worked closely with id...but Quake 4 will be a Raven title.
http://quake4.ravengames.com/

I personally believe that us americans are unable to do so because osama.

People out there in our nation don't have that, And I believe that our education like such as south africa and such as the Iraq.

everywhere "such as". And I believe our education should help the US should help the south africa and the iraq and the asian countries so we can build up our future.
-- Miss Teen South Carolina

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-04, 11:40 PM   #4
superklye

I thought Doom 3 was going to be the Raven title?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 12:48 AM   #5
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Todd did not say that it would be a recognized name/brand... he said that there is another developer using the doom3 engine to make a game based on a recgonizable name/brand.

They said its gonna be another singleplayer game, they want to make another horror game, and the technology is gonna be the updated doom3 technology, they also said that they are looking toward the next gen consoles for ports.
Old 08-15-04, 01:45 AM   #6
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

"It will be a name that people recognize," is all Hollenshead will say.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/08/12/comm...column_gaming/

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:09 AM   #7
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Read the whole thing...

Quote:
With the game engine finalized (though Carmack continues to add new features based on future video technology), licensing can begin. Raven Software has licensed the engine for the still-under-wraps "Quake 4". And an as-yet unidentified developer will use it for a forthcoming game.

"It will be a name that people recognize," is all Hollenshead will say.
A forthecoming game USING doom3 technology will be a recognizable name. This is not the next title from id, they are talking about licensing the doom3 engine.

This is what the next game will be like:

Quote:
Cammack said that id Software's next game will continue the Doom 3 theme of a mostly single player experience with only a mimimal multiplayer experience. Carmack feels creating a new graphics renderer can be better appreicated via a slower single player game with partner companies going in to make more robust multiplayer game experienced later through expansion packs and sequel.

Carmack has been working on the new rendering engine for the next id game for a couple of months and he hopes that by the end of the year it will be up to running actual tech demos with artwork. Carmack and id declined to show what they have been working on for the next engine and game at QuakeCon for this year, but Carmack expects to show off the new rendering tech and a bit of the new game at next year's QuakeCon.

Last edited by jAkUp; 08-15-04 at 02:20 AM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:33 AM   #8
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

lol. i guess i should have been more informative with my post. but yea, the article explains everything.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-04, 02:35 AM   #9
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Maybe the next game to use the Doom 3 engine will be...Unreal 3

Anyway, to be honest it's almost a bit worrysome that they're already planning on already having a functional version of their NEXT engine by the end of this year. They JUST released Doom 3, the pinacle of the last 4 years of work for them, and already it's going to look horribly outdated within a few months? Yikes, this industry is moving fast...that would've been like them showing off the Doom 3 technology at the end of 1999 after Quake 3 was released.

Anyway, it's actually kinda nice to see them going back to focusing on single-player games. There seems to be enough games out there that are centered around singleplayer, and while I didn't think Doom 3's singleplayer was all that great I still enjoyed it more than I would've enjoyed "Quake 3 Arena...2".

I wonder how far along Quake 4 is though...wasn't there a bunch of concept models leaked for it like half a year ago? I wouldn't mind seeing Quake 4 come out at the end of next year, gives us something to look forward to after STALKER, FEAR, and Halo 2 are released. Though I think the next couple years are going to be very rough for the industry, we have the next generation of consoles and graphic engines coming out just around the corner, and most of the majorly hyped games will have been released in late 2004-early 2005...seems like we're going to be stuck in an odd transition phase.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:40 AM   #10
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I think a new heretic or hexen game would be sweet using the d3 engine :\.... it seems most people are thinking commander keen though :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 08:05 AM   #11
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

i would love to have Wolfenstein on the "refreshed" doom3 engine
Old 08-15-04, 08:28 AM   #12
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

So is the next game a completely new engine?
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote