Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 01:30 PM   #13
DivotMaker

Default Re: new HL2 screenshots from valve's siggraph2004 presentation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
a big warning for you guys.... Valve is very well know for releasing concept art (raytraced shots) (no real in game screenshots of the game).
Thank you for the warning , however I think I will rely on sources other than you for my HL2 updates....I hope you understand....
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 01:32 PM   #14
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage
The following are real in-game screenshots.

If you think this doesn't look impressive, well then, I feel bad for you. Again, these are shots of the game, not concept.

- D.
Could not agree more!
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:00 PM   #15
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Well fell bad for me because they don't look impressive. The detail (or lack there of) is really disappointing. I would think after delaying the game forever they could have put SOME detail into the game :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 02:04 PM   #16
aAv7

Nah, they couldnt waste time with detail-they've been too busy taking huge chunks of levels and story out to get it out in time. I think we'll see an expansion pack in the future with extra content that was originally intended for the game.

And I think these pics looks great. CS: Source is the graphical stinker imo, but it has to be to reach to a mass amount of gamers.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 01:19 AM   #17
kingmike

I'm impressed with the realistic approach! if those are in game shots, my hats off to the developers. Just get the game out
kingmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 08:15 AM   #18
Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage
The following are real in-game screenshots.

http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...Slide15_hi.jpg
http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...Slide16_hi.jpg
http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...Slide17_hi.jpg
http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...Slide20_hi.jpg
http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...Slide02_hi.jpg
http://www.planethalflife.com/featur...lide13b_hi.jpg

There are a few more, but these do the job. If you think this doesn't look impressive, well then, I feel bad for you. Again, these are shots of the game, not concept.

- D.
Well I would say that these are the most impressive real-time graphics ever seen in the history of the gaming industry. However...

Ever since the beginning (Doom, or perhaps even Wolfenstein or Dungeon Master), artists and programmers have tried to give everything sense of scale and perspective. To do this, they have used low camera angles and a wide-angle lens type of view. This makes everything look big and expansive.

But I have a major problem with it. It may be "correct"; it may be mathematically OK; it may be just like your wide-angle camera lens would see things. But its not very realistic, is it.

When was the last time you looked at the middle of a railway bridge (physically looked at it, not at a photograph) and saw it lean inwards:

I have never seen a railway bridge look like that! Look at the oval sun on the top right. When did you last look up and see an oval sun????!?! WTF?

Or a block of flats lean inwards like the ones on the left:

Never.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Its just not very realistic. Its over-done.

They need to raise the camera up by a couple of feet and decrease the field of view. That would be more life-like.

Chip
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 09:52 AM   #19
faraday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy
Well I would say that these are the most impressive real-time graphics ever seen in the history of the gaming industry. However...

Ever since the beginning (Doom, or perhaps even Wolfenstein or Dungeon Master), artists and programmers have tried to give everything sense of scale and perspective. To do this, they have used low camera angles and a wide-angle lens type of view. This makes everything look big and expansive.

But I have a major problem with it. It may be "correct"; it may be mathematically OK; it may be just like your wide-angle camera lens would see things. But its not very realistic, is it.

When was the last time you looked at the middle of a railway bridge (physically looked at it, not at a photograph) and saw it lean inwards:

I have never seen a railway bridge look like that! Look at the oval sun on the top right. When did you last look up and see an oval sun????!?! WTF?

Or a block of flats lean inwards like the ones on the left:

Never.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Its just not very realistic. Its over-done.

They need to raise the camera up by a couple of feet and decrease the field of view. That would be more life-like.

Chip
You dont play many games do you?
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 10:06 AM   #20
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

Quote:

notice the perfect lighting and shadows everywhere.. looks lifelike quality . light reflections whenver there is supposed to be.

OMG. that's real, right? that CANT be from a game (oh god, i'd freakin lose it if it was). OH GOD, PLEASE PLEASE DONT SUCK HL2!!!!!!!!!
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-04, 10:33 AM   #21
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:

notice the perfect lighting and shadows everywhere.. looks lifelike quality . light reflections whenver there is supposed to be.
Its obvious thats a photograph. nt though.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 10:55 AM   #22
Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by faraday
You dont play many games do you?
Why do you ask? Have I said something stupid?

Chip
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 10:57 AM   #23
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Thats a photograph. Notice how everything casts a correct shadow...which Source engine cant do.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 11:16 AM   #24
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

awwwww. so disappointed
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote