Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 06:44 PM   #13
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: New Paralax Mapping Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
Maybe they "wanted to basically present the same experience on all supported cards"
If that's true, then why would they enable the heat effects which are only availible on DX9 and up cards?

And SH64, I *think* that's just regular bump mapping or maybe normal mapping, since I don't think the Thief 3 engine supports Paralox or offset mapping. Does look pretty nice though...is that with the high-res texturepack?

Last edited by Edge; 08-15-04 at 10:39 PM.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 10:09 PM   #14
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

This mod works for me, but it breaks texture filtering on a lot of the surfaces. AF is'nt work and some of the textures have no filtering at all, not even bi-linear.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 01:19 AM   #15
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

It does make the game look great because of all the VDM, but there is a lot of texture bugs. It's pixelated in a lot of places. Hopefully, an update will fix everything and give more speed.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 04:40 AM   #16
killahsin

Okies I tried this mod out very nice definatly makes the game look better.

My speculation is the reason this wasn't but in to begin wiht is because not only of the performance issues. But the aliasing it creates within the lighting/textures themselves. The floor grates for instance show this the most. Therefor detering from the 'overall' quality, making you need to run AA in order to not have all the aliasing, therefor creating even more perf loss.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 06:53 AM   #17
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

I dont think you can say, the engine supports it, but they didn't enable it. I dont think D3 was ever designed to support it. To support it properly would require additional flags per surface, to stop some of the textures going wrong when applied to this.

Changing the fragment shader to use the bump-map for parallax mapping isn't exactly enabling something that was turned off, its adding something new.

I dont know why they didn't have it in, perhaps it would've meant additional changes to the tool chain, and they didn't really want to start messing with that.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 07:03 AM   #18
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
If that's true, then why would they enable the heat effects which are only availible on DX9 and up cards?

And SH64, I *think* that's just regular bump mapping or maybe normal mapping, since I don't think the Thief 3 engine supports Paralox or offset mapping. Does look pretty nice though...is that with the high-res texturepack?
Yeah, 1 heat effect. Robert Duffy even told me they wanted it to look the same on all supported cards.
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 07:26 AM   #19
Edge
3d animator for hire!

And maybe that just means they took things that were originally going to be DX9 compatable and make them functional on GF3 cards. Hell, I'm suprised they didn't scale the heat effects down to GF3 level shaders, I mean it couldn't be that hard, I've seen similar effects in PS1 games for god's sake. Then again, considering you needed a $200+ graphics card just to get the same camo effect in Halo that was in the original Xbox version, I guess it's just the way of the industry to require things that really aren't needed (would it REALLY have been that difficult to get the same effect out of PS1.1?). But why on earth are you COMPLAINING that they didn't use more "advanced" effects when the game already looks so good and pushes current hardware nearly to it's limits? Look at Half-life 2, it supports all these high-end DX9 level shaders, and yet it doesn't have something as simple as real-time dynamic shadows like Doom 3 does (an effect works on a Geforce 4 MX card). But hey, it uses DX9 effects, so it must be better, right?
Old 08-16-04, 08:08 AM   #20
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

wow, edge, I always had the impression you thought Doom3 was less advanced than FC, and HL2.

Doom 3's engine is the most advanced on the market, its just it would have been cool if the stuff was more shiny! (carmack said the current D3 engine couldnt do shinyness well)
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-16-04, 08:20 AM   #21
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
Doom 3's engine is the most advanced on the market, its just it would have been cool if the stuff was more shiny! (carmack said the current D3 engine couldnt do shinyness well)
url ? Cant do shininess well? I think you're mistaken on that. You can do environment maps, gloss maps, per texel specular exponents. Doom3 can do shininess very well.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 08:28 AM   #22
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Less advanced than Farcry, maybe. Less advanced than Half-life 2, I doubt it (graphically speaking, of course). In particular HL2 seems to have a very simplistic lighting and geometry rendering engine, it doesn't support things like dynamic shadows and the backgrounds seem fairly static compared to a game like Doom 3 (again, speaking only of graphics, gameplay-wise the ability to put a displacement map on any surface is a nice non-graphics oriented feature). To be honest HL2 seems like a DX7 game with DX9 effects, rather than being built from the ground up as a high-end engine like Doom 3 was. A GF3 might not seem like a very high end card, but it supports a number of impressive features and is still much better than what most games use as a base (most of them seem to think that a majority of PC users are using integrated graphics, and sadly they're right). Hell, most games don't even use bump mapping, let alone pixel shaders. So it's nice when a game like Doom 3 comes along and uses bump mapping on practically EVERYTHING and also supports very impressive shadow effects (something few games have attempted). It's hard to tell which base graphics *engine* is the best though, it seems many can be modded and manipulated to support things that it was never originally intented to support (such as Virtual Displacement Mapping in Farcry, or Parallax mapping in Doom 3).
Old 08-16-04, 10:59 AM   #23
killahsin

HL2 does support dynamic shadows. =)

http://www.halflife2.net/index.php?p...cle_vs_editing

"Does Half-Life 2 support dynamic shadows like Doom 3?

Gabe Newell: Yes, we have dynamic shadows. We use a different approach than Doom3."

Always provide linkage =p
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 11:03 AM   #24
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, sort of. The problem with HL2's shadows is that they're just projection shadows based on 1 light source (usually the sun), you won't see shadows being cast by things like flashlights or lamps. Definatly nowhere near Doom 3 quality, though it is a decent jump from Half-life 1.