Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 03:26 PM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default id's next game going to be on the Doom3 engine :(

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/539049p1.html

Well, I guess its not going to really be new tech So I take it no GLSL and 64bit fp support
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 05:55 PM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: id's next game going to be on the Doom3 engine :(

So? Oh no... they didn't just work on an engine for a long time just to throw it away and go for something new again. I love the d3 engine and I don't mind it being used for more than 1 game :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 05:59 PM   #3
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Its just it doesnt have flexible shader support. But Carmack did say new renderer, so do you guys think its possible for this renderer to compete with UE3?
Old 08-15-04, 06:26 PM   #4
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/doom-3/539049p1.html

Well, I guess its not going to really be new tech So I take it no GLSL and 64bit fp support

Just because it's the Doom 3 engine doesn't mean Carmack isn't going to improve the heck out of it. Should be interesting to see where it goes... and what type of game it ends up being.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 06:26 PM   #5
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Well isn't UE3 based off of Unreal 1, UT tech? They don't create 'new' engines, they just majorly revamp new ones yeah? What makes you think that id can't do the same with the Doom3 engine? I'm pretty damn sure that Carmack wrote the engine with extensibility in mind, if only because it's common sense that he would do it as such.
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 06:28 PM   #6
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Yeah, I should keep in mind this is TEH CARMACK.

Im sure his new renderer will blow everything away, just like Doom3's engine did (and will for quite a while )
Old 08-15-04, 06:36 PM   #7
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Ya know, I almost wonder if some of Doom 3's base code isn't centered on Quake 3 Arena. Some things seem pretty similar between the two, hell turning off specular/bumpmapping/shadows basically makes the game look like Quake 3. And Source seems to have a lot in common with Half-life code...seems like all these "new" engines are really just massive improvements to old ones. And that's not really a bad thing, I mean they optimised things so well back then that they scale really well with new features.

But I think it's obvious that the Doom 3 engine hasn't really been tapped yet. It even has support for Paralox mapping, but the only way to enable it is through a mod. Not all that unlike Farcry, where there engine supports more features than the game actually uses.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-04, 07:09 PM   #8
Vash
Angel Arms

IIRC, Edge, Carmack started by modifying the Quake 3 engine and eventually replaced everything as he wrote the new code. I'm not surprised that the engines feels similar at all, considering.

Old 08-15-04, 08:51 PM   #9
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
IIRC, Edge, Carmack started by modifying the Quake 3 engine and eventually replaced everything as he wrote the new code. I'm not surprised that the engines feels similar at all, considering.
he rewrote everything so its really nothing like Q3A
Old 08-15-04, 09:11 PM   #10
Vash
Angel Arms

Yes, but he used it as a framework, at least to begin with. I have no idea if there are any similarities in the final product, but at least it's descended from Q3... that might be where Edge was getting that vibe.
Old 08-15-04, 09:44 PM   #11
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Well, if they rewrote everything then there's no way in hell you could call it a modified Q3 engine

I think this new renderer will just be "doom3 style" with unifield lighting
Old 08-15-04, 10:19 PM   #12
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, just because the code was rewriten doesn't mean it can't have a lot in common with the original engine. I think some people said they found traces of Quake 1 code in the Source alpha leak. Obviously it will most likely be replaced, but the new code will probably function exactly the same as the old code does. So yeah, in a way I think you could say they "based" the engine off of older code. After all, if it functions the same, looks the same, and feels the same, it might as well be the original. They've probably rewritten the entire Unreal engine code several times over by now, but the basic parts of the engine probably function the same as they did in the original Unreal. Seems pretty common for games to start development on older engines before moving over to a more modern one, I think early versions of Starcraft were running on the Warcraft 2 engine before they actually rebuilt the engine for the game. But there's a difference between "modifying" an engine, and basing a new engine off of an old one

But anyway, I am interested in seeing how far the Doom 3 engine can be pushed. Look how far the Quake 3 engine got with games like Heavy Metal: FAKK2 and Medal of Honor: imagine if the Doom 3 engine recieves a similar upgrade. Though considering Doom 3 is already pretty taxing on mid-ranged computers (at least it sure seem to be on my XP2000/GF4ti), I'm wondering what kind of hardware will be needed to really run the engine to it's full potential.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote