Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-04, 05:03 PM   #1
joh

Angry Switching to a VT or exiting X freezes computer

Hello,

I've got a GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card and the latest (6111) nvidia linux driver. However, when I start X (XFree86) with a configured TV-OUT (see attached XF86Config-4) and switch back to a VT (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+F1) or exit X, my computer freezes completely, not responding to anything (not even to the magic sysrq key sequences).

I've seen this problem posted several times for some time ago (i.e. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&page=1&pp=15) but there seems to be no working workaround or solution to this problem (I tried booting the computer (and even starting X) with the TV-cable unplugged, and passing the vga=0x0317 boot parameter (which gave me no VT), but I still experienced the same problem)! Many nvidia users have complained about this problem on this forum, but it seems nothing have been done with it from the nvidia side. I've also experienced random lockups when leaving X up running for a while (some days maybe). It seems to me that the nvidia linux driver is still buggy...

This is what I'm running:
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB
Driver: 6111
Linux distro: Debian unstable
Video BIOS: 04.25.00.30.00
Processor: Athlon XP 2800+
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (nforce2)

I figured this problem might have to do with APIC, but the problem still occurs when disabling APIC with the kernel options noapic and nolapic.

If this isn't fixed soon, I might have to go for ATI...
IMHO the nvidia linux support is still pretty lousy. Why not open source it so people can contribute? As leonbrooks put it:
Quote:
Just to head off the "competitive advantage" phantom: all of NVidia's real magic is in the hardware. FOSS people don't have the resources to reverse-engineer your software effectively, ATI and XGI do. NVidia have nothing to lose by Opening their drivers.
Please help.
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (4.3 KB, 186 views)