Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-04, 04:11 AM   #1
RobertOsfield

Default Looking for a stable Althon64 motherboard

Hi All,

A while back I built myself a Althon64 system around a Gigabyte K8VNXP motherboard (K8T800 chipset) but alas when using Suse9.0 (2.4.x kernel) or 9.1 (2.6.x kernel), and with the last three sets of Nvidia 32 bit drivers I get system hangs after 2-10minutes that require a system restart. I havn't recently tried the 64 bit drivers with Suse9.1 (2.6 kernel) but arn't encouraged by findings with the other combinations of OS/Drivers.

I have follow the various forum threads on the news 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and have tried out various options to try and get my system stable, but to no avail. Does anybody with a K8T800 system have it running stably under Linux with the NVidia drivers? If so any recommendations/HOWTOs?

Failing this I'm in a market for an Althon64 motherboard that is known to work well with Suse9.1, but want to make sure that I purchase one that is known to work... So I'd much appreciate your recommendations.

I have raft of NVidia graphics cards to plugin - from GeforceFX5600,FX5900XT to 6800GT.

Cheers,
Robert.

ps. I have Suse9.0 + AlthonXP 2600 + MSI KT6 Delta + Nvidia 6111 drivers which works just fine, but not half a sweet as the Althon64 is when its actually runs
RobertOsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 08:17 AM   #2
quadfour

Default Re: Looking for a stable Althon64 motherboard

I can't say I was impressed with the Gigabyte boards either (I tried a couple). Now Im using an Asus K8V Deluxe (K8T800) and its a dream, stable as a rock. I did however seem to find a stability issue with 2.6.7. 2.6.8 kernel is fine.

Specs: Asus k8V Deluxe, AMD64 3000+, 1Gb DDR, FX5700 256Mb.
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 11:02 AM   #3
RobertOsfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadfour
I can't say I was impressed with the Gigabyte boards either (I tried a couple). Now Im using an Asus K8V Deluxe (K8T800) and its a dream, stable as a rock. I did however seem to find a stability issue with 2.6.7. 2.6.8 kernel is fine.

Specs: Asus k8V Deluxe, AMD64 3000+, 1Gb DDR, FX5700 256Mb.
Thanks for the encouraging data point.

What stability issue were you seeing with the 2.6.7 kernel?

I'm currently using the 2.6.5-7-95 which comes with Suse9.1. Perhaps its worth my upgrading the kernel to 2.6.8...

Thanks,
Robert.
Old 08-16-04, 04:11 PM   #4
quadfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertOsfield
Thanks for the encouraging data point.

What stability issue were you seeing with the 2.6.7 kernel?

I'm currently using the 2.6.5-7-95 which comes with Suse9.1. Perhaps its worth my upgrading the kernel to 2.6.8...

Thanks,
Robert.

With 2.6.7, X (nvidia) was locking up after several days for no apparent reason. When this happened I _had_ to reboot. Now my machine is up for weeks...
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 04:33 PM   #5
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I would suggest you try out a few board-makers sites...

I frequent msi's forums for information on some new products as well as their new bios releases and the like...

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php

if you have any pertinent questions they have some lads (a lot like us) who delve in nix and may be able to help you out... am sure Asus/GB and Abit have similar forums...

I would offer a word but I don't use linux
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 06:58 PM   #6
whig
550Ti

Rob: check your ram with memtest86. This A64 had problems with ram once.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 08:08 AM   #7
adz21c

Send a message via ICQ to adz21c Send a message via AIM to adz21c Send a message via MSN to adz21c Send a message via Yahoo to adz21c Send a message via Skype™ to adz21c

I think the Asus K8V Deluxe is probably the way to go .. personally. As quadfour said ... stable as a rock ... my friend has it and never had problems. Also I read a review on 14 A64 motherboards and the k8V Deluxe came out with the best results for memory issues than any board in the review. Infact i think it only failed on 1 manufacturer of RAM out of 12 and ran properly for about 10 ... where as Gigabyte and others were failing on 2 or 3 ... doing ok on half of them and running properly on the rest (also something i thought was weird was gigabyte released a bios update that made considerable difference ... but at the time of the review they wouldn't release it to public ... not sure about now).
Also whigs rite ... check your RAM. I was the victim of this for a while ... but that was my fault trying to save some cash. I have the AOpen AK89 Max ... this runs stable for me ... now ... I tried to get 1 GB (2x 512MB) of Elixir RAM (i.e. something i got cheap) to work in it ... just didn't want to play .. 512mb was ok ... but 1GB was a no go. I tried upgrading to 1.07c bios ... still no go (nothing wrong with the RAM ... works fine on my friends AMD AthlonXP 2200+ system ... it just didn't like me) ... in the end I bought Kingston instead and run 1.07c (so it will run at the correct speed of 400MHz) and now its working great.

specs: AOpen AK89 Max, AMD64 3200+, Geforce FX 5900 256 MB

So the AK89 Max works fine too if you can be bothered with the hassle and I have so far had no problems with it under linux under the 2.6.3, 2.6.7 or 2.6.8.1 kernels.

Last edited by adz21c; 08-17-04 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes ... i'm useless :P
adz21c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 11:18 AM   #8
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

memory issues are generally confined to certain setups utilising the C0 revision cpu's from AMD.. the CG revision took care of the memory issues...

that said not every setup will have an issue.. I am running a C0 revision cpu on my system with memory that should be problematic but I have had no stability issues whatsoever...

certain cheaper mobo's have problems due to manufacturers cutting corners with their board design and not enabling some features of the a64 cpu's...

you can't go wrong with any of the top-tier manufacturers and a board with the general features...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-04, 11:48 AM   #9
RobertOsfield

I tested the memory and it came up clean.

So I then turned to try flashing the bios with the latest from Gigabyte for the K8VNXP that I have. This has cured the crashes and its now been running for 6hrs, and has completed a number of graphics stress tests (using a 6Gb paged whole earth terrain database) and its not had a single problem.

I'll leave it up overnight and see how it gets on, but for now it looks like my Gigabyte board is finally allowing my Althon64 to stretch it wings.

Thanks for the advice,
Robert.