Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-04, 02:03 PM   #1
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Default Move aside Doom 3 (and take your engine with you)

Serious Sam 2 is on it's way.

I simply loved the original when it was released a while back, and when I heard news of SS2 was just around the corner I couldnt believe my luck. Powered by Serious Engine 2 this game boasts full Co-Op support (take note ID) full on multiplayer features and simply looks stunning.

SS2 is part of the Direct X 9c showcase over at Microsoft. No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)

Anyone wanting a taster of this beautiful engine, you can find a sample here

Finally, a good game is on the way with what looks like a visually stunning engine.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Old 08-16-04, 02:04 PM   #2
Slybri

Default Re: Move aside Doom 3 (and take your engine with you)

So when exactly is "right around the corner?"
How far awar is the corner?
Before or after HL2?

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Old 08-16-04, 02:11 PM   #3
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
SS2 is part of the Direct X 9c showcase over at Microsoft. No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)
Why is Doom3 not part of the DirectX9c Showcase? Gee could it be an OpenGL game?
Old 08-16-04, 02:14 PM   #4
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

serious sam 2 already came out back in '00 or '01. or do you mean a sequel to that?
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
Old 08-16-04, 02:18 PM   #5
mezkal

Quote:
No sign of Doom 3, but I am hardly surprised. Why showcase a bad game ? (sorry D3 lovers, I couldnt resist)
OK. First off Doom 3 is GOOD game. It's sad that so many people snipe it. Secondly, its an OpenGL title, therefore why and how would MS showcase it? It doesn't relate to DirectX in the same way. Most people think DirectX when what they're being shown is Direct3D. You seem to be one of those also :P

Back on topic.

Serious Sam 2 looked good end of LAST YEAR. The engine is looking rather dated now. From what I've been able to see from the XNA Conference and E3 footage, we're looking at some nice per pixel stuff on the characters, quite a bit of alpha and high res textures. That stuff would have cut it prior to Far Cry and DOOM 3's releases (which have both shown the value in per pixel rendering) but now the Serious Engine 2 is looking rather bland - especially judging by what has been shown so far.

Serious Sam and Second Encounter were two of my favourite games. The Co-op play was awesome and the variety of graphics were great. The physics engine was a hoot as were the oversized (and well animated I might add) mid and end level bosses. That said I really don't see how the new game will cut it based on the footage that has been released.

My 2c.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
Old 08-16-04, 02:20 PM   #6
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
serious sam 2 already came out back in '00 or '01. or do you mean a sequel to that?
Your are wrong, the game you are refering to is Serious Sam: The Second Encouter, this is Serious Sam 2
Old 08-16-04, 02:21 PM   #7
Slyder
AMD + Nv = pro gaming rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
Why is Doom3 not part of the DirectX9c Showcase? Gee could it be an OpenGL game?
Oh wow.. sarcasm.. yeah that was done so well.

DirectX®

Doom 3 requires you to have Microsoft® DirectX® on your computer. http://www.Microsoft.com/directx

Q. What is DirectX® and why do I need it?

A. DirectX® is a set of sound, video, input and network functions developed by Microsoft®. Doom 3 utilizes the functions that are included with DirectX®.

Q. I already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games installed on my computer. Will the Microsoft® DirectX® Installer change my DirectX® files?

A. If you already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games on your computer, chances are you already have a version of DirectX® installed. In this case, the Microsoft® installer will detect and overwrite any previous versions with DirectX®. At that point, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. If, however, you already have DirectX® installed on your computer, the Microsoft® DirectX® installer will detect it and not overwrite any DirectX® files. You will not need to restart your computer after installation in order to run Doom 3.

I wont flame with you, you can believe whatever you wish, but I think you will find this is a Direct X game

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
Yes. Serious Sam came as First and Second encounter. Essentially they were one game. This is the full blow sequal.
Maxtor 6Y080L0 7200rpm 80 gig DiamondMax Plus 9 HDD
Gigabyte Dual 6600GT SLI Enabled
CTX VL701B 17ins CRT 0.27dpi 72khz MPRII Black
Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
BenQ DW1655 LS DVD-Rewriter with BCDB f/w (ohh yes, get on)
LiteOn 48246S CD writer with SS0E f/w
NTL 10 meg cable connection thru Ambit 250 modem. Ethernet connected
Linksys BEFSR41 v3 router with 1.05.00 f/w
Enermax 535 watts SLI-Ready PSU
XP pro with SP2
Playing multiplayer games online and lan enabled untill the day we die.

What I think of the word Blog
Old 08-16-04, 02:24 PM   #8
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Oh wow.. sarcasm.. yeah that was done so well.

DirectX®

Doom 3 requires you to have Microsoft® DirectX® on your computer. http://www.Microsoft.com/directx

Q. What is DirectX® and why do I need it?

A. DirectX® is a set of sound, video, input and network functions developed by Microsoft®. Doom 3 utilizes the functions that are included with DirectX®.

Q. I already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games installed on my computer. Will the Microsoft® DirectX® Installer change my DirectX® files?

A. If you already have other Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP games on your computer, chances are you already have a version of DirectX® installed. In this case, the Microsoft® installer will detect and overwrite any previous versions with DirectX®. At that point, you will need to restart your computer for the changes to take effect. If, however, you already have DirectX® installed on your computer, the Microsoft® DirectX® installer will detect it and not overwrite any DirectX® files. You will not need to restart your computer after installation in order to run Doom 3.

I wont flame with you, you can believe whatever you wish, but I think you will find this is a Direct X game

Yes. Serious Sam came as First and Second encounter. Essentially they were one game. This is the full blow sequal.
Id engines has has allways used DirectInput, however its like a module and can easily be changed for whatever OS the build is for.

However for whats important Id uses openGL, however if doom3 was an DirectX game, Microsoft would take all of those games out and only showcase Doom3.

Old 08-16-04, 02:26 PM   #9
Banko
Red Pepper Vodka

What microsoft means by directx 9.0c titles is when the game uses the whole thing to do everything. Doom 3 is using openg gl for video, has custom network code, and custom sound as well I think. As far as I know doom 3 just uses it for input. So it would not be in microsoft's show case.
MSI P55-GD80
G.Skill DDR3-1600 8gb 4x2gb
Asus DRW-1814BLT SATA
ATi Radeon 5870
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Windows 7 Ultimate

HTPC/Second Gaming PC:
Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6
Intel Q6600 @ 2.8
G.Skill DDR2 4gb 2x2gb
NVidia 8800GTX
OCZ GameXStream 700W
Old 08-16-04, 02:34 PM   #10
aAv7

1.) Doom 3 is opengl-microsoft wouldnt showcase it because of that. Your pretty much laughing at doom 3 for not being on a microsoft page the same way someone would laugh that ms made no reference to linux on their site.

2.) This game has no release date-could take until 2006 before we see it for all we know. The developers diary shows their still pretty earlier in development stages of the game.

3.) Anyone know if this is gonna be one of those $19.99 budget priced games, like the first 2 serious sam's?
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
Old 08-16-04, 02:39 PM   #11
r2d2d3d4d5
Prole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
OK. First off Doom 3 is GOOD game. It's sad that so many people snipe it. Secondly, its an OpenGL title, therefore why and how would MS showcase it? It doesn't relate to DirectX in the same way. Most people think DirectX when what they're being shown is Direct3D. You seem to be one of those also :P

Back on topic.

Serious Sam 2 looked good end of LAST YEAR. The engine is looking rather dated now. From what I've been able to see from the XNA Conference and E3 footage, we're looking at some nice per pixel stuff on the characters, quite a bit of alpha and high res textures. That stuff would have cut it prior to Far Cry and DOOM 3's releases (which have both shown the value in per pixel rendering) but now the Serious Engine 2 is looking rather bland - especially judging by what has been shown so far.

Serious Sam and Second Encounter were two of my favourite games. The Co-op play was awesome and the variety of graphics were great. The physics engine was a hoot as were the oversized (and well animated I might add) mid and end level bosses. That said I really don't see how the new game will cut it based on the footage that has been released.

My 2c.
I don't care if the graphics are not ground braking. I just want a fun game that looks good. ID have made a great tech demo and a good game. If SS2 is the other way around then I won’t be complaining.
Old 08-16-04, 02:40 PM   #12
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

oh, ok. i loved ss both the first and second encounters. coop in it was freakin awesome.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
Closed Thread