Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-04, 04:54 PM   #1
<slayer>

Default [D3]High-Resolution Texture Pack Ever?

After reading many threads on the dissapointing low-resolution textures in D3, is it possible that ID will/could release a high-res texture pack? How difficult would this be for them to do? (I wonder if ID has even heard of/cares about people complaining about this.) BTW, I personally think it's an awesome game, so all those who are going to post "Why can't people just enjoy the game for what it is blah blah blah..." - Save it.
<slayer> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 05:02 PM   #2
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty
Default Re: [D3]High-Resolution Texture Pack Ever?

I dont find the textures low res at all.. Maybe one or two, but on the whole it was very detailed from how I played.

How much VRAM do you have? It auto scales down textures depending on how much VRAM you have.
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 05:09 PM   #3
<slayer>

I'm talking about screenshots that I have seen posted in Ultra Quality with advanced visual tweaks applied via the config. Most have suggested that the textures be compressed high-resolution, as opposed to being uncompressed low-resolution. If this was done, the game would still run well due to the compression and look better than what is now Ultra Quality.
<slayer> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 09:57 PM   #4
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I hope they release a high texture pack... alot of the textures could use a facelift. And what makes it worse, is everything else looks really good graphics wise, so it makes some of the ugly textures stick out. The NPC's clothes could use redoing. And some of the walls are pretty ugly. While others look ok
Old 08-16-04, 10:00 PM   #5
Mike1357
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Mike1357 Send a message via MSN to Mike1357

Example: A persons face will be extremely detailed with tons of bump mapping and then their collar will be blurry, making your attention draw to it.
Or maybe thats just with me :P
Mike1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 10:33 PM   #6
Seoulstriker

The low-res textures aren't noticable if you aren't looking for them. Sometimes I am disappointed in some of them, but the overall graphics are still incredible. The computer screens totally make up for it.

What's the point of having a high-res sky texture like HL2 if the lighting isn't there to back it up?

And yes, I'm looking forward to the high-res pack if it is ever possible. The VRAM usage is enough as it is!
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 10:39 PM   #7
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I hope they release a high texture pack... alot of the textures could use a facelift. And what makes it worse, is everything else looks really good graphics wise, so it makes some of the ugly textures stick out. The NPC's clothes could use redoing. And some of the walls are pretty ugly. While others look ok
Well, it takes a lot of video memory to render a Specular, Diffuse, Color and bump map. I can forgive id for the low quality, because they are doing things so everything is consistent and the world looks great.

I cant wait till we get 1GB vram cards and Quake 4
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-04, 11:49 PM   #8
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Can't they use some mild compression on the specular, diffuse etc. To reduce the texture memory usage while using higher resolution textures? It makes sense to me...

Old 08-17-04, 12:17 AM   #9
aAv7

it can be done...I think they were in a hurry to push the game out the door to meet financial quarter expectations from activison. Or they've gotten lazy. Either way, I hope a patch is made with higher textures...or a mod ..one a bit less buggy than the parrell mod.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 06:14 AM   #10
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Can't they use some mild compression on the specular, diffuse etc. To reduce the texture memory usage while using higher resolution textures? It makes sense to me...
That's what they do use when the game is set to medium or high quality, it's only on ultra high that they don't compress anything. That's the only real problem: is that ultra high doesn't actually increase texture quality, it just removes the compression from the textures. They never really put much effort into that part of the game, they figured that a 128 megabyte videocard would be thier focus point, the ultrahigh mode was pretty much just added in for people with larger cards that wanted to brag about playing the game in even "higher" quality.

The main problem with offering enhanced textures is that they'd have to make ANOTHER set of textures that are even higher resolution than the ones already included, basically what they did until now was use a certain texture res as the base and then scale it down for lower hardware. Including better textures would basically force them to remake all the regular textures in even higher resolution, and considering the current textures already take up almost a gig of data, the probably would've had to include another 2-3 discs and take up about double the amount of harddrive space for a feature very few people would be able to use.

Now I'd love to see the team put togeather a set of enhanced textures, but I'd rather have them work on an expansion pack that offers NEW textures (even if they are a bit low-res) and a new campaign rather than just slight improvements to a game that most of use have already beaten, wouldn't you
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 12:54 PM   #11
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

my guess was that at that time of development, 128 m cards were just coming out (maybe 01 or 02), and they thought that by the time d3 came out, not too many people would have 256m cards (and they dont, people here with 256 cards are a small minority of gamers). but thats just my own opinion.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-04, 02:11 PM   #12
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

You're right, majortom. It's obvious that id's focus has been getting Doom 3 running well on a mainstream computer, not enthusiast systems like most of us have. I just hope that this time around, when games that take advantage of our cards' features DO come out, our systems will still be powerful enough to run them. Time will tell, I guess.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote