Old 08-18-04, 10:51 AM   #1
gilgamesher

Angry Random X hang ups

Gentoo Linux 2004.1
Gentoo-Dev-Sources 2.5.7-r9
as well as a 2.4 kernel which I have also tested
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
XFX GeForce FX5700LE 256MB video card

Heres another one for the growing list of X random C hang ups while using nVidia devices. I have to say that I am not impressed.

I have a XFX GeForce FX5700LE 256MB video card which i recently purchased from TirderDirect.ca. When the card arrived I plugged it in and powered up my system. X crashes in less than 10 seconds. the keyboard would not respond , the mouse would still move. It was possible to ssh in from another box ang send a kill -9 to terminate X. This wouldn't always work (or maybe I am just impatient)

I tried all the things listed in all of the other posts regarding this issues (and they are quite numerous if you dig) and have tried all of thfixes suggested. the only thing which works is setting NvAGP. It doesn't matter if it is set to 1,2 or 3.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. I purchased a new nVidia Video carrd because I respect nVidia for having developed linux drivers. But now my new (and expensive) video card doesn't run any faster than the card I previously owned. This is because adding Option "NvAGP 0, 1, or 2 fixes it. Strangely enough, nvidia-settings-1.0 sees NvAGP=1,2 or 3 all as being PCI devices, I thought when set to 1, the nVidia kernel module used its own agp drivers. Anyways, the card runs equally slow onNvAGP=1,2 or 3.

On behalf of all the people who are encountering this problem, I would like to urge nVidia to fix this problem so we can go back to bragging about how fat our nVidia cards run under linux.

ATI's linux support is growing and if nVidia isn't cautious, they will lose an audience bigger than the mac users. I'd like to endorse a Canadian company if I could, anyways.
gilgamesher is offline   Reply With Quote