Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-04, 10:27 PM   #1
DivotMaker

Default What happened to the "New Posts" link?

What happened to the "New Posts" link? I miss that function...
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 10:30 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: What happened to the "New Posts" link?

it's hidden in "quick links"

mikec may have taken my suggestion of disabling search functions (new posts is considered a search) for the time being to take some load off the server until he can find the problem.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 10:41 PM   #3
DivotMaker

Thanks!
Old 08-18-04, 10:58 PM   #4
Clay

Do you guys not see the "New Posts" link smack dab in the middle of the link bar as I do? (see attachement screenshot)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newposts.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	7572  
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:07 PM   #5
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Do you guys not see the "New Posts" link smack dab in the middle of the link bar as I do? (see attachement screenshot)
No, I do not see it on my screen....therefore my post asking about it
Old 08-18-04, 11:12 PM   #6
Clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBerthaEA
No, I do not see it on my screen....therefore my post asking about it
Ok, just thought I'd double check. Strange, I suppose that it may be present there just for mods but not sure why that would be.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:23 PM   #7
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i am only judging from speculation, but i think mikec took my suggestion in temporarily disabling search functions (new posts is a search, believe it or not), but probably allows them for mods/admins still so that they can find things if necessary.

us normal people get a permissions error when clicking on it. the reason for doing this is because of all the things a message board does, searching is the most cpu intensive thing, and the problems appear to be cpu usage related.

of course, i don't know if i'm right about any of that, i'm just guessing, lol.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-18-04, 11:33 PM   #8
MikeC
Administrator

You're right I am trying to see what is using up CPU. It isn't the search function I will enable it shortly.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-04, 11:43 PM   #9
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

hmm, it did seem to improve when it was disabled... not saying that's the cause of it though.

hopefully you will find it soon
Old 08-18-04, 11:47 PM   #10
MikeC
Administrator

No it showed no improvement.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-04, 11:49 PM   #11
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

probably was just the time of day that i was noticing.
Old 08-18-04, 11:52 PM   #12
netviper13
Treehugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay
Ok, just thought I'd double check. Strange, I suppose that it may be present there just for mods but not sure why that would be.
It's present for me, and I'm not a mod.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote