Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-04, 01:45 AM   #1
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Default Some Doom 3 Abstracts

I just bought Doom 3, and having just upgraded my PC it runs fine (I actually upgraded for HL2, which apparently will be coming out sometime after Quake 76) and I wanted to give some tangents relating to things I've heard from different places/people on Doom 3.
1. People talk about the game being 'too dark'. The fact that it's supposed to be a horror game aside, it's not really that dark. Corridors are navigable and enemies are visible unless you're in complete blackout, just kind of hard to makeout if you're not looking for them. Personally I can pick off guys without any problem once I spot them moving around, and no I don't have my gamma cranked.
2. The game has 'ridiculous' system requirements. I was actually warned about this twice as I was buying the game in Gamestop. I don't know if these people haven't played the game or what, but I know a guy with an Athlon XP 2500+, 512RAM and Radeon 9600 that's running this fine on high detail on 8x anisotropic filtering. My higher end system (Athlon 64 3400+, GeForce 6800GT OCed) runs it quite well on 1600x1200 with Ultra or High Detail, aside from some choppiness in the begining cutscene and well lit areas on Ultra. Now the guy at Gamestop was saying he hadn't met anyone who could run the system at an acceptable framerate, and I'm guessing this is because most people who visit gamestop are the much loathed Console Gamers who don't want to spend any money on their PC. Doom 3 has been tagged the most advanced graphics engine ever in a game and people can't figure out why their Thunderbird 1ghz with a GeForce 4 doesn't want to run it at 1280x1024. I think this is just more of the classic whining about how fast PCs increase performance. Well that was a long one, on forward.
3. Monsters and enviroments are extremely well done, but there was one thing I noticed that was kind of stupid: zombies and possessed marines often have clothes/armour that's damaged in the same spot. Isn't that kind of silly? Strange how every fat man at the base had his lower right guy bit in the same spot, eh? Other than that my only complaint with the graphics engine was that it shadowed oddly on some characters in certain scenes. The light would triangulate quite distinctly or make harsh, weird spots on their face (see the Counciler when he gets off the ship, the back of the Marine's neck when it zooms into your face and the guy at the desk you talk to). In most of the game it's too dark to notice, but it does bug me as this game is all about light and darkness.
Cheimison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:17 AM   #2
jedah
Vampire Saviour

Default Re: Some Doom 3 Abstracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
2. The game has 'ridiculous' system requirements. I was actually warned about this twice as I was buying the game in Gamestop. I don't know if these people haven't played the game or what, but I know a guy with an Athlon XP 2500+, 512RAM and Radeon 9600 that's running this fine on high detail on 8x anisotropic filtering. My higher end system (Athlon 64 3400+, GeForce 6800GT OCed) runs it quite well on 1600x1200 with Ultra or High Detail, aside from some choppiness in the begining cutscene and well lit areas on Ultra. Now the guy at Gamestop was saying he hadn't met anyone who could run the system at an acceptable framerate, and I'm guessing this is because most people who visit gamestop are the much loathed Console Gamers who don't want to spend any money on their PC. Doom 3 has been tagged the most advanced graphics engine ever in a game and people can't figure out why their Thunderbird 1ghz with a GeForce 4 doesn't want to run it at 1280x1024. I think this is just more of the classic whining about how fast PCs increase performance. Well that was a long one, on forward.
I mostly agree with you dude,except for the system requirements.My system specs are on my sign.The game runs in medium detail 640x480 around 30-60 fps.That's only when walking on tight areas with no enemies or special effects in view.During gunfights though , the framerate drops to 10-15 fps.It's very disturbing.Don't get me wrong I just got the game today and loved it , but it has indeed very high demands in hardware.I will try to find ways to improve my framerate ,but I think the difference is too big to cover....
Old 08-19-04, 09:31 AM   #3
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
1. People talk about the game being 'too dark'. The fact that it's supposed to be a horror game aside, it's not really that dark. Corridors are navigable and enemies are visible unless you're in complete blackout, just kind of hard to makeout if you're not looking for them. Personally I can pick off guys without any problem once I spot them moving around, and no I don't have my gamma cranked.
Hell yeah! Finally, someone with an ounce of sense who played the game for more than a couple minutes before dogging on it! My hat's off to you, Cheimison.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-04, 05:02 AM   #4
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Some other notes: I play Doom 3 (and every shooter, even Serious Sam) like it was Rainbow Six. I creep along, keeping my back to the wall, watching and predicting entry points possible for enemies and predicting how far I can go anywhere before I'll be attacked by them. This makes my game experience both a lot longer and a lot easier, but in consequence I suck at any multiplayer except SWAT 3.
Also I downloaded my chipset drivers for the mainboard and the game speed has increased a lot. I've got maximum on every sort of detail, anti-aliasing and filtering, plus the Enhanced mod, and I hardly ever drop below 30fps, usually in the high 40s-high 50s.
GeForce 6800 rocks.