Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-04, 04:51 AM   #1
Melhisedek

Default What's up with NV and HL2? (CS:S bench)

hi mates,

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthre...2&page=1&pp=15

just saw these driverheaven graphs and i feel a bit
Can NV fix this ?

I know DH are fanboyish but I hope they aren't pulling this numbers from their heads.

BTW it would be nice to see x800 Pro benches as well
Melhisedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 05:05 AM   #2
ubersoldat

Default Re: What's up with NV and HL2? (CS:S bench)

Thats one of the stupidest benchmarks I have ever seen. I saw benchmark for the same thing and Nvidia won.
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 05:14 AM   #3
Bartflaster

I saw some other benchies, and biggest diff was at 16x12 with 4aa 8af was 7fps, hardly worth worrying over whan it was 55 vs 62 fps IMO.
Another thing to mention, they never state which clocks the ultras are at, a lot are shipping with 425 stock now, others at 400.
I honestly think all this doom3 and HL2 stuff is hyped to far, whichever make of top end card you have, it will play all new stuff just fine
Bartflaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:14 AM   #4
Mike1357
lol wut?

Send a message via AIM to Mike1357 Send a message via MSN to Mike1357

that has to be the stupidest benchmark i've ever seen!
they mustve had the 6800 underclocked to 200mhz or something :P either that, or he has mistaken the 6800 for a geforce 4
im sure that a card that can run FarCry, Painkiller, Doom3, and UT2004 flawless can get more than 20fps on cs:s
Mike1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:20 AM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

They're comparing the Radeon's 6x to NVIDIA's 8xS. Of course the 6800 is going to perform worse. DH is not the only site to do this, and such comparisons irritate me to no end.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:24 AM   #6
Roscoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357
im sure that a card that can run FarCry, Painkiller, Doom3, and UT2004 flawless can get more than 20fps on cs:s
This isn't the Counter-strike timedemo, it's the Video Stress Test *Source* benchmark. Whole different ball game - proper DX9 shaders... it's parts of that original Source demo movie we saw from a year ago... remember Gordon done on Stained Glass, and the water man refracting flames behind him? It's *that*.

I'm still surprised at the massive gap though, I suspect that though those numbers were generated in good faith, that something has gone awry. Or Valve has either generated very ATI-friendly code, or hobbled nVidias. I really wish these marketing agreements between game makers and IHV's were banned
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:25 AM   #7
DSC

Haven't anyone learned anything from the stunt that fanATIcheaven has tried to pull earlier this year? I'm amazed that anyone even goes to that fanATIc biased site.

8xS is a hybird mode with Super Sampling, the performancehit will always be greater. Of course they'll try to make it look as if Nvidia is much much slower, when it's not true.
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:34 AM   #8
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!

I saw the link earlier and there is no way I would post it. 10:1, they tested the XT PE first and didn't clean drivers correctly. Heh. Get it? Driver Heaven. Heh.

But sreiously, the comments about it being GPU limited? Any DX9 game using a few of the advanced features would display that level of discrepancy. The benchmarks between NV and ATI in every DirectX app are entirely too close and consistent to miss what would have to be serious a flaw in its DX9 software/hardware.

Several respondants in that thread have already called them on it, getting results more in line with VR-Zone's (linked in the news). We'll see, let them deal with it.

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-04, 06:40 AM   #9
Warden13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC
Haven't anyone learned anything from the stunt that fanATIcheaven has tried to pull earlier this year? I'm amazed that anyone even goes to that fanATIc biased site.

8xS is a hybird mode with Super Sampling, the performancehit will always be greater. Of course they'll try to make it look as if Nvidia is much much slower, when it's not true.
I doubt they are trying to make Nvidia look bad. It's clear that theyt are simply running the bench at each cards highest setting. If Nvidia had a 6x they would have used it. Furthermore, it's pretty widely accepted that ATI's 6x provides equal, if not better AA than Nvidia's 8x.

I'm guessing that it's a very PS 2.0 heavy benchmark which would explain the results. ATI's PS 2.0 performance is about 3 times Nvidias at the moment. With luck, by the time HL2 arrives they will have a PS 3.0 patch to work on the Nvidia cards and the numbers will probably be pretty even.

I said 2 months ago that performance on these cards between Doom 3 and HL 2 was going to be closer than people think. ATI has already shown improvements in D3 and, while they are not as fast as Nvida, the gap has narrowed. I expect Nvidia will narrow the gap in HL 2.

My understanding is that this is the original Source engine stress test and it is different than the test VR-Zone ran. If that's the case you can't compare them.

Warden
Warden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:51 AM   #10
zakelwe

There are too many unknowns at present to be able to comment on whether it is good or bad, wait till it is tested at multiple sites and then get a flavour.

You'd expect Ati to be better at AA/AF but the none AA/AF results are very large, might be a dubious bench, might be optimised by Valve, might just be the X800XT has found it's love match in HL2 .. nobody knows yet.

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-04, 06:52 AM   #11
LovesuckZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warden13
I'm guessing that it's a very PS 2.0 heavy benchmark which would explain the results. ATI's PS 2.0 performance is about 3 times Nvidias at the moment. With luck, by the time HL2 arrives they will have a PS 3.0 patch to work on the Nvidia cards and the numbers will probably be pretty even.
"3 times"?
Date: 19.08.2004 and not 2003...
ATi has no PS2.0 advantage. Only the XTPE is faster because of the 30% higher coreclock.
Old 08-19-04, 06:58 AM   #12
zakelwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesuckZ
"3 times"?
Date: 19.08.2004 and not 2003...
ATi has no PS2.0 advantage. Only the XTPE is faster because of the 30% higher coreclock.
After saying the 9700/9800 is superior for months because of it's shader power now a really intense powerfull shader required engine is here you are talking about core clocks / fillrate ?

Regards

Andy
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote