Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-04, 04:55 PM   #1
chakkerz

Default NVidia on 2,6,7+ and up

Hi all

Now i haven't done the verbose logging thing yet, but i'll do that later today (requires recompiling of kernels and such so ...)

OK What's happening:

Any Graphic application, during loading can freeze the system, locking IO, HDD access, and coming generally to a sudden halt. Under 2.6.7 (linux) i was told it was a stack size thing, which i could not confirm, regadless of the stack size it happens.

Yesterday i updated to 2.6.8.1 (linux kernel) and worse than 2.6.7:
2.6.7 would run for hours before the lockup'd take place and it seemed to happen especially if i was running the NvAGP.
after i experienced the 2.6.7 troubles i downgraded to 2.6.6 (ran the same .config file to see if it was my doing, and it appears not to have been). during this stay in 2.6.6 country i learnt that NvAGP (in favour of agpgart) has a 300%+ performance increase over the opensource thing, so i've been using it (without lockups).

So 2.6.8.1 yesterday -> it locks most of the time during loading the game (UT2K4), though once whilst in game, and once while kde 3.2.2 was loading. Since i had just upgraded ut2004 (patches and map packs) i figured i could have killed something, so i tried to run 2k3 and that did the same thing.

Card: ELSA Galdiac FX 935 - GeForce FX5900 (128MB SDRAM)
Driver: 6111
distro: Slackware 10.0 (vanilla, no upgrades beyond kernel)
bios
chakkerz@stormcrow:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5900
IRQ: 19
Video BIOS: 04.35.20.27.e2
Card Type: AGP
Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ (not overclocked)
Mo'Bo: Gigabyte GA 7N400 Pro2 (nforce2 chipset)
RAM: 1024 Dual Channelled Corsair TwinX (512 each) at DDR400

One last thing, kernel configuration:
I've run agpgart (with and without nforce support) currently i'm running without agpgart because on the whole the system runs better. and if i run it with agpgart i get an agp disabled, with a dmesg telling me NvAGP wasl blocked because of agpgart. chakkerz@stormcrow:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

i hadn't realised fast writes was disabled, so i'll enable that, historically speaking that didn't make a difference under 2.6.7.

So what do i do to get this working properly?

Cheers chakkerz
chakkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 05:54 PM   #2
chakkerz

Default Re: NVidia on 2,6,7+ and up

Oops my bad

Turns out it ain't an NVidia problem, well it is, different one though

There is a quirk in the nforce chipset's sound system which is leading to I/O errors in 2.6.7 and 2.6.8, which explains the random crashes as well as KDE startup crashes being related to artsd deciding to start up because that's what it does (act unpredictable) despite being told not to and crashes during game start ups (they want to access the sound system).

IF anyone else sees this post and thinks this is related to what they are seeing, test your soundsystem using either xmms (you'll get sound but it's not the entire file (i'm going for mp3 playback here)) or mpg123 you get horrible noise which breaks predominant silence and feedback telling you it's having I/O issues

On the bright side, i guess that means i get to buy myself an Audigy and surround sound headphones. (not that i am certain this bug isn't present in the emu10k1 sound render path / IO system.
chakkerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 08:23 AM   #3
hhelmich

Default Re: NVidia on 2,6,7+ and up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chakkerz
One last thing, kernel configuration:
I've run agpgart (with and without nforce support) currently i'm running without agpgart because on the whole the system runs better. and if i run it with agpgart i get an agp disabled, with a dmesg telling me NvAGP wasl blocked because of agpgart. chakkerz@stormcrow:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 8x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Enabled

i hadn't realised fast writes was disabled, so i'll enable that, historically speaking that didn't make a difference under 2.6.7.

So what do i do to get this working properly?

Cheers chakkerz
Is there a way to disable agpgart via kernel parameters or do I need to recompile and make agpgart a module? I am using stock Fedora Core 2 2.6.8-1.521smp kernel.

Thanks
hhelmich is offline   Reply With Quote