Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-04, 12:04 AM   #25
evilchris

Default Re: X-box owners screwed by Id!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocomp10
well technicaly if you had the right sound card you could hook your pc up to your home theatre system, but not alot of pc games make good use of 5.1 sound.
plus, whose PC is in their living room? :P My PC is my PC room...
Old 08-22-04, 12:15 AM   #26
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
Why are you trying to compare sound cards to a receiver? They are not the same and at best they compliment each other. The receiver is nothing without a source, e.g. DVD player, sound card, .... Similar logic applies to the sound card. If the sound card's DAC sucks, you can always use the receiver's or buy a high-end, perhaps modded, external DAC.

I'm curious what speakers do you use and what's the rest of your HT rig?
DVD: Denon DVD-5900

Speakers: SVS dual subs and Klipshorn fronts, K center and K surrounds.

I see what you are saying though regarding the DAC and such... I suppose my feeling is my PCs are in a 12x12 room ( PC room ), while my HT room and all that equipment is in its own room, so I could never use that equipment in conjunction with my PC.
Old 08-22-04, 12:39 AM   #27
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocomp10
Yeah I don't see aneything wrong with the Xbox, almost considering buying one just to play halo 2 since there hasent been aney word on the port to pc.
But the thing is that they haven't said it's not coming to PC. Not only that, Halo 2 isn't labelled "only for Xbox". Things are looking up.
Old 08-22-04, 12:58 AM   #28
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

This is from Bungie's Halo 2 FAQ:

Quote:
Halo 2 is being made for the Xbox only at this time.
When the original Halo was released we already knew it was going to come out for the PC (we just didn't know it would take them almost 2 years). It would be great if they ported it, but don't hold your breath.
Old 08-22-04, 01:51 AM   #29
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

"If all console FPS games had a control scheme as elegant as Halo, I think things would be a lot different. But otherwise I completely agree with you."
Goldeneye's was better, and I don't really care for X-Box controllers because they're so damn big, but the Halo controls were better than most FPS console games come with. Just the same the mouse (a good mouse) and keyboard offer you so much more precision and versitility in control that a joypad just can't emulate.

I didn't think Halo was that great, it was good and Coop was fun (which they ditched in PC, bastards) but graphicswise it was par with PC, physics-wise it was par or worse, modability wasn't even an option, multiplayer was fun but the lack of lots of player (somewhat relieved by the X-Box live, but still something else to buy) really killed the CTF atmosphere. And the story was just ripped from Ringworld, some times word-for-word, with a cliche alien invasion thrown in.
Old 08-22-04, 02:33 AM   #30
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
and I don't really care for X-Box controllers because they're so damn big
Have you played on a Controller S?
Old 08-22-04, 03:57 AM   #31
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
"If all console FPS games had a control scheme as elegant as Halo, I think things would be a lot different. But otherwise I completely agree with you."
Goldeneye's was better, and I don't really care for X-Box controllers because they're so damn big, but the Halo controls were better than most FPS console games come with. Just the same the mouse (a good mouse) and keyboard offer you so much more precision and versitility in control that a joypad just can't emulate.

I didn't think Halo was that great, it was good and Coop was fun (which they ditched in PC, bastards) but graphicswise it was par with PC, physics-wise it was par or worse, modability wasn't even an option, multiplayer was fun but the lack of lots of player (somewhat relieved by the X-Box live, but still something else to buy) really killed the CTF atmosphere. And the story was just ripped from Ringworld, some times word-for-word, with a cliche alien invasion thrown in.
Have you actually READ Ringworld? The Halo isn't even a Ringworld, it's a weapon. The Aliens in Ringworld are Puppetmasters. WTF are you talking about? I love it when a casual gamer (and equally casual Sci-Fi reader obviously) tries to sound intelligent by mixing unrelated information.

To anyone else who read his post : The Ringworld Series and Halo don't relate AT ALL.

Ringworld is the story of one man who is a mercenary who is employed by a faction of the Aliens known as The Puppetmasters (they are parasitical and can control control human hosts - they do so to infiltrate our leading seats of power across the galaxy to create a war that will end in mankind's extinction) that wishes to use him to circumvent and an evil plot (check the previous brackets). The first book is called Ringworld as it uses the Arthur C. Clarke invention (yes he INVENTED it :P) of a Ringworld as the premise for a sort of refugee world where all manner of alien and human species live together in a homeless state. The Mercenary protagonist spends a lot of time adventuring through a variety of these ringworlds to find his targets.

**** SPOILERS AHEAD FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED HALO ****

Halo is another chapter in the ongoing story of the war between the Covenant (a genetically modified race of aliens) and the Humans as they compete to control open space. The Protagonist, The Master Chief (AKA MC - a human cyborg of undetermined age relating to the SPARTAN cyborgs as introduced by the Marathon series of games also by Bungie - though they won't readily admit to the connection :P) is *awakened* as the lead ship The Pillar of Autumn is being attacked and borded by a Covenant forward brigade. He is given the job of protecting the Ship's AI - Cortana (also reminiscent of the AI's in the Marathon series especially Durandal) who holds the co-ordinates of Earth and the entire defensive battlegrids encryption schema. As the ship's engines fail it plummets toward a recently discovered but as yet unknown ring like structure - HALO. It crashes on Halo and the MC with Cortana in tow sets about rescuing his surviving shipmates as their escape pods scatter about the ring-world like structure that Halo is. While doing this the MC finds out that ship's commander Corporal Keyes has been captured by the Covenant who have set up a base within the Halo superstructure. After rescuing Keyes the MC meets the MONITOR (AKA 343 Guilty Spark), an AI not unlike Cortana who maintains the Halo in hopes that a "Redeemer" (who MONITOR percieves as the MC) will come and allow him/it to engage the Halo weapon. At this point Cortana goes somewhat rampant (another nod to the Marathon series of games where AI *RAMPANCY* is key to the stories) and claims that she has the power of God. She also basically disappears leaving the MC alone with MONITOR who takes him on a tour of the inner workings of the Installation. In doing so the MC is introduced to "The Flood" - essentially a parasitic Mould with hive-mind intelligence that has previously swept across the universe engulfing and destroying countless civilisations in their wake. After fighting his way through the Halo interior and surviving many encounters with The Flood with MONITOR watching on with interest - but offering no help at all - The MC finally reaches the Central control point of Halo. Here he meets up with Cortana once again who explains that HALO is weapon designed to OBLITERATE living cells, sort of a MEGA POWERFUL NUKE, that was developed to kill The Flood and thier hosts in one cataclysmic explosion. They both realise that MONITOR is only interested in destroying remaining Flood who have finally ended up on HALO and thus they make good thier escape after disabling Halo (by nuking the Pillar of Autumn - you see the surviving ship's crew and remaining Covenant embracing as it goes boom - "Hold Me" LOL) so that the Covenant cannot activate it either.

As the MC and Cortana escape the shockwave we see that MONITOR has also survived (after the credits have rolled). Does MONITOR track them back to Earth and give the Covenant the location of our Homeworld (Halo 2 is set on Earth to begin with)? I guess we'll find out :P

As you can see the stories aren't related at all.

Oh and the XBOX controllers to which you refer are the US models. Go get a Japanese model (aka Model-S) if you want a smaller controller. These are now being supplied as standard with the XBOX as far as I know
Halo's storyline was about as non-cliche as you can get with games. The reason being that Bungie are very much aware of the context of narrative. They are also involved (though they won't readily admit too it as yet) in the www.ilovebees.com ARG (Alternate Reality Game). They previously did another ARG prior to Halo's release which is now known as the Cortana Letters.

Maybe you didn't get Ringworld or Halo? Maybe you just discounted both without understanding either?

:P
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
Old 08-22-04, 10:14 AM   #32
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
Maybe you didn't get Ringworld or Halo? Maybe you just discounted both without understanding either?

:P
Minor correction. Halo destroyed sentient life only I believe.

Old 08-22-04, 10:19 AM   #33
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
What PC sound card can match this too:
Nvidia designed the Xbox sound chip, and the PC has the exact same chip on NForce 2 boards. The Soundstorm.

Try connecting a PC up to the same setup, and play Doom 3 with Dolby digital 5.1. I'd say it sounds better than any Xbox game I've ever played.

Secondly. The Xbox controller ( the standard one) is quite possible THE worst most diabolical controller I've ever used. And I have gamed on almost all consoles for the last 25 years. The D-pad, is a complete joke. It's just a cylindrical piece of shiny plastic, that has a pathetic shiny smooth top. Who in god's name came up with that ? My thumbs constantly slip off the friggin thing, and it never gives decent control, either goes left when you want down, or up when you want right. Stupid thing.

FPS games just plain suck on Xbox. Halo, had a 30 frame limiter, and often went down to the teens in big fights. That made it just soo damn frustrating. It was a cliched story, that wasn't allowed to flow. The backtracking, and tons of similar rooms made it repetitive. And besides, the PC version, on Geforce 4 upwards, was just soo much better.

Xbox does have it's plus points. Great games, great beat 'em ups, driving games, and platform games. It's great if your PC is busy doing other things, downloading, capturing, etc...
A modded Xbox is also superior to not having one. Playing movies, Divx, Xvid, Quicktime, Anything, etc.. is just superb and makes for a better player than a true player.
Emulators are pretty good, especially old console emulators, although I still prefer them on PC due to superior IQ, no speed problems, and bigger range of systems. And computer emulators are just plain wrong on a console with an analog controller and no keyboard.

In the end, every gamer that truly loves games will/should own both PC AND a console of some sort. That way, he/she gets to play some truly unique games.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 08-22-04, 03:17 PM   #34
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I own a PC and an Xbox. The PC is still the king for FPS and RTS games (which happen to be my favorite types of games). For beat-em-ups and scrolling shooters and sports games (personally I hate them), the console is a better platform.

Technically a PC can be much better graphically and equal in sound (although the hardware costs 5x as much). After playing games in 4X AA on my PC for a few weeks it hurts my eyes to go back to the low res jaggie city of a console title.

Nobody who had Doom 3 running nice on their PC is going to bother playing it again on their x-box. However, people who had Halo for their x-box did play it on their PCs, since it looks much better with AA and plays better with a mouse.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
Old 08-22-04, 03:37 PM   #35
Jocomp10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Nobody who had Doom 3 running nice on their PC is going to bother playing it again on their x-box.
Doom3 might be interesting in coop mode.

Quote:
However, people who had Halo for their x-box did play it on their PCs, since it looks much better with AA and plays better with a mouse.
AA dosn't work in halo pc
VID: XFX Geforce 7900GT @ 560/1700
Old 08-22-04, 04:00 PM   #36
evilchris

Quote:
I own a PC and an Xbox. The PC is still the king for FPS and RTS games (which happen to be my favorite types of games). For beat-em-ups and scrolling shooters and sports games (personally I hate them), the console is a better platform.

Technically a PC can be much better graphically and equal in sound (although the hardware costs 5x as much). After playing games in 4X AA on my PC for a few weeks it hurts my eyes to go back to the low res jaggie city of a console title.

Nobody who had Doom 3 running nice on their PC is going to bother playing it again on their x-box. However, people who had Halo for their x-box did play it on their PCs, since it looks much better with AA and plays better with a mouse.
Low res jaggy? Have you ever seen 1080i which a lot of Xbox games are starting to support? Halo Xbox blew away Halo PC, even with "only" 480p. You also cannot set a PC sound system up properly for DD while using a computer. Are your PC front speakers at least 6 feet apart? Are you at least 10 feet away from the center channel? Are your back surrounds 4 feet behind you at ear level? Are your main surrounds directly to the right and left of your ears, about 8 feet apart?
Closed Thread