Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-04, 03:06 PM   #37
evilchris

Default Re: X-box owners screwed by Id!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K.Tronics
Nvidia designed the Xbox sound chip, and the PC has the exact same chip on NForce 2 boards. The Soundstorm.

Try connecting a PC up to the same setup, and play Doom 3 with Dolby digital 5.1. I'd say it sounds better than any Xbox game I've ever played.
Thats the thing, who has their PC in their home theater room?

Quote:
Secondly. The Xbox controller ( the standard one) is quite possible THE worst most diabolical controller I've ever used. And I have gamed on almost all consoles for the last 25 years. The D-pad, is a complete joke. It's just a cylindrical piece of shiny plastic, that has a pathetic shiny smooth top. Who in god's name came up with that ? My thumbs constantly slip off the friggin thing, and it never gives decent control, either goes left when you want down, or up when you want right. Stupid thing.
That controller has not been packed in for over a year and isn't even made anymore.

Quote:
FPS games just plain suck on Xbox. Halo, had a 30 frame limiter, and often went down to the teens in big fights. That made it just soo damn frustrating. It was a cliched story, that wasn't allowed to flow. The backtracking, and tons of similar rooms made it repetitive. And besides, the PC version, on Geforce 4 upwards, was just soo much better.
Bungie was rushed to finish for Xbox launch. That has nothing to do with Xbox as a console.
Old 08-22-04, 03:12 PM   #38
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW
Nobody who had Doom 3 running nice on their PC is going to bother playing it again on their x-box.
Which is one of the reasons I'm considering getting the Xbox version. My computer is by no means obsolite (XP2000/ti4200, not great but well above the minimum requirements for Doom 3), but I was getting 10-15 FPS in heavy battles, at one point it even dropped to 3 FPS. And about the only setting that really made any type of a difference was disabling shadows, which detracted from the experience. I WISH they had made the lower-quality models in the Xbox version availible in the PC version, because I found the game nearly unplayable at some points. So to me, a smoother framerate, as well as coop play, are just enough to get me interested in the Xbox version (unless I manage to upgrade my computer by then). I'd prefer to play it on the PC, but there's no way I'm spending $300+ in upgrades for a few games, and I'm sure there are many people who are in the same situation.
Old 08-22-04, 04:22 PM   #39
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Thats the thing, who has their PC in their home theater room?
Maybe some of us have their home theater systems in our PC rooms ? Ever thought about that one ?
I happen to have a professional THX system connected to my PC.

Quote:
That controller has not been packed in for over a year and isn't even made anymore.
Still doesn't excuse the poor controller that a few million people own. And that small one isn't much of an improvement. Best pad is still the PSone Dual shock, period.

Quote:
Bungie was rushed to finish for Xbox launch. That has nothing to do with Xbox as a console.
Rushed ? Where does it say that ? Who said that ?

Quote:
Halo Xbox blew away Halo PC, even with "only" 480p
What utter complete bollox. I'll bet my entire bank account that my Halo looks 5x better than your xbox halo. I'll bet it's smoother, looks better thanks to a vast choice of resolutions. Then there's AA, AF, and that fact that I have it running on a superb 21" with better IQ than THE most expensive HDTV. It also plays 100xx better, thanks to a Mouse/Keyboard control system. And only a complete moron would think otherwise.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 08-22-04, 04:29 PM   #40
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri
Awww poor lil console gamers gotta wait till next year to play doom 3 on their Tv sets!!!!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ogames_doom_dc

Either that or grow up and buy a real gaming PC!
I love my Xbox, Dickhead.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
Old 08-22-04, 04:55 PM   #41
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Rushed ? Where does it say that ? Who said that ?
Bungie themselves said that they were rushed to finish Halo. The game was in nowhere near complete shape when the buyout happened, they spent a lot of time finishing up what they had and reusing parts to extend the game (hence the reason you go through the Assault on the Control Room mission twice). Read a few of their developer diaries, they became very frustrated at the lack of time to impliment features that they wanted. Luckly with Halo 2, they're being given much more time to design it the way they want.

Quote:
And only a complete moron would think otherwise.
Only a complete moron would use the line "only a complete moron" when talking about something that's opinion-based.
Old 08-22-04, 05:14 PM   #42
Jocomp10

Quote:
Then there's AA
No actualy there is no AA for pc, but I would say that it dose look better on a pc @ 1600x1200 with 16xAF than on the xbox. I also personaly like a mouse and keyboard better than a gamepad, but thats just me and it dosen't mean that there is aneything wrong with the xbox or it's controller or the people who like it. In the end your opinion is just that your opinion.
VID: XFX Geforce 7900GT @ 560/1700
Old 08-22-04, 05:23 PM   #43
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Only a complete moron would use the line "only a complete moron" when talking about something that's opinion-based.
Riiight, you keep telling yourself that a joystick is as good as keyboad+mouse in an fps.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 08-22-04, 06:05 PM   #44
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Riiight, and you just keep telling yourself that because you prefer something, everyone else has to as well.

Old 08-22-04, 07:08 PM   #45
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Lots of phrases and stuff were ripped straight from Halo. The map room, for example.
Old 08-22-04, 07:13 PM   #46
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Straight from ringworld, rather.

By the way, Halo would never work. It's not big enough.
Old 08-22-04, 08:10 PM   #47
Slybri

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVidi0t
I love my Xbox, Dickhead.
Awesome!
Wasn't trying to start a flame war...okay, yeah I was...LOL
Maybe was a little harsh, there.

I'm sure the xbox is nice and all, and the games I played on it were okay. I refuse the buy the thing though! I just don't like the obnoxious IN-your-face green hugeness of the thing. Granted it's newer and more powerful than the PS2, but I think the PS2 was better designed. Better controllers, and that nice mellow surf sound at the start menu. Almost zenlike.
I also don't like the way the xbox and other systems have pushed PCgaming into a fringe category. I remember when you could go into EBgames and see wall to wall boxes of PC games, now you gotta look hard to find em there.
I also hate it when PC game developers bastardize their games so they can sell it on the XBOX and ignore the PC. Deus Ex: IW? Spiderman 2? And look at all the great PC games Microsoft has put out since the Xbox! Crimson Skies 2? Hell the PC game of the Year for 2003 was an Xbox port. And we were glad to have it!
I've had about every console since the ATARI days and HDTV or no, the graphics and resolution of the PC are far superior to the console. Doom 3 Xbox will be lame compared to the PC version, so will Half life 2 on the Xbox.
And I'd take Half life over Halo any day. 1600x1200 baby!!

"Nice shot William Burroughs! You hold a gun like a guy who plays Riven!"
------ The Venture Bros.
Old 08-22-04, 09:06 PM   #48
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

That's one of the biggest problems with consoles, they never upgrade. X-Box's graphics card was already outdated when the system came out. Even if the X-Box 2 uses whatever GeForce 9800s that premier when it goes into production, in six months the PC is going to outdo it. Plus X-Box has terrible jaggies, those guys need to figure out anti-aliasing.
Closed Thread