Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-04, 09:46 PM   #49
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: X-box owners screwed by Id!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slybri
just don't like the obnoxious IN-your-face green hugeness of the thing.
The last time I looked, except for the special Halo edition, the Xbox was primarily black with the only green part of the hardware is on the circle on top of the system.
Old 08-22-04, 10:08 PM   #50
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K.Tronics
Maybe some of us have their home theater systems in our PC rooms ? Ever thought about that one ?
I happen to have a professional THX system connected to my PC.
No room for a retarded PC system next to my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond HDTV.. to each their own I guess. List make/model of your "pro" THX system. THX is hogwash btw and real enthusiasts would never mention it, I guess you aren't all that into HT.

Quote:
Still doesn't excuse the poor controller that a few million people own. And that small one isn't much of an improvement. Best pad is still the PSone Dual shock, period.
Your opinion, period. I can't stand that controller, period. Period?

Quote:
Rushed ? Where does it say that ? Who said that ?
Bungie.

Quote:
What utter complete bollox. I'll bet my entire bank account that my Halo looks 5x better than your xbox halo. I'll bet it's smoother, looks better thanks to a vast choice of resolutions. Then there's AA, AF, and that fact that I have it running on a superb 21" with better IQ than THE most expensive HDTV. It also plays 100xx better, thanks to a Mouse/Keyboard control system. And only a complete moron would think otherwise.
AA doesn't work in Halo genius, period. Suberb 21"? Lol, I have a 22" NEC FP-2141SB dude, it isn't like I am lacking in display quality. My monitor does 2048x1536 at 85Hz. Only a moron can't use a controller. Halo was a better experience on Xbox. Anyone who has played both version agrees. Halo is a shoddy port on PC. And uh, anyone who would rather game in front of a 21" screen over a 65" HDTV given the option...yeah ok. Look at my sig bubba, I would play Halo on PC if I thought it were better there. It isn't.
Old 08-22-04, 10:12 PM   #51
evilchris

Quote:

I also don't like the way the xbox and other systems have pushed PCgaming into a fringe category. I remember when you could go into EBgames and see wall to wall boxes of PC games, now you gotta look hard to find em there.
I also hate it when PC game developers bastardize their games so they can sell it on the XBOX and ignore the PC. Deus Ex: IW? Spiderman 2? And look at all the great PC games Microsoft has put out since the Xbox! Crimson Skies 2? Hell the PC game of the Year for 2003 was an Xbox port. And we were glad to have it!
The reason devs are generally more interested in consoles is because the majority of PC gamers steal the games. That's why console games sell 1 million no sweat yet that is some sort of a feat for a PC game. If people would stop being outright THIEVES thinking they are cool because they downloaded a game maybe the PC would get more support.
Old 08-22-04, 10:15 PM   #52
evilchris

Quote:
Riiight, you keep telling yourself that a joystick is as good as keyboad+mouse in an fps.
I have no problems with the S controller at all. I guess maybe you need an IQ over 80 to figure it out and become proficient?
Old 08-22-04, 11:39 PM   #53
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

PC gaming..Console gaming....nuts to all of you.

Where's my damn Monopoly board?????
Old 08-22-04, 11:49 PM   #54
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

lol. The point is, apparently PC's are better because they can play so many games at great detail. The only thing is you have to upgrade for them. Consoles on the other hand can play games at good detail without having to buy anything else for them. Either way it's a win-win situation with PC having more games and the Console not needing constant upgrades. i say get both... Enjoy the best of both worlds.
Old 08-23-04, 12:09 AM   #55
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Heh, this thread is funneh

My PC is in my living room hooked up to my AV stuff, and I've done such things as Halo PC sitting on my 27" TV, detail and AF maxed @ 640x480 (xbox resolution) in my laz-boy with keyboard/mouse.... and also with a Lik-Sang controller adapter and a Pelican Controller-S lookin Xbox pad... Also Doom3 happens to look/play great @ 6x4, 4xAA/8xAF Hi Quality when on my tv, using my cordless keyboard/mouse...

I know I'm all low-fi with my regular resolution TV, but I at least use the Dreamcast/XBox resolution, and IMO the pictuar wuality is great for those of us who need to wait a couple years before we upgrade to HD.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Old 08-23-04, 12:23 AM   #56
mezkal

Quote:
Awesome!
Wasn't trying to start a flame war...okay, yeah I was...LOL
Maybe was a little harsh, there.

I'm sure the xbox is nice and all, and the games I played on it were okay. I refuse the buy the thing though! I just don't like the obnoxious IN-your-face green hugeness of the thing. Granted it's newer and more powerful than the PS2, but I think the PS2 was better designed. Better controllers, and that nice mellow surf sound at the start menu. Almost zenlike.
I also don't like the way the xbox and other systems have pushed PCgaming into a fringe category. I remember when you could go into EBgames and see wall to wall boxes of PC games, now you gotta look hard to find em there.
I also hate it when PC game developers bastardize their games so they can sell it on the XBOX and ignore the PC. Deus Ex: IW? Spiderman 2? And look at all the great PC games Microsoft has put out since the Xbox! Crimson Skies 2? Hell the PC game of the Year for 2003 was an Xbox port. And we were glad to have it!
I've had about every console since the ATARI days and HDTV or no, the graphics and resolution of the PC are far superior to the console. Doom 3 Xbox will be lame compared to the PC version, so will Half life 2 on the Xbox.
And I'd take Half life over Halo any day. 1600x1200 baby!!
Umm...What was your point?

Unless you haven't worked it out yet, everyone who responded owns a PC AND and XBOX here. So I guess you're the one the "fringe" here. Try this next time. Go to EB, buy an XBOX. Go get a mod. Then look at all the cool stuff you can do with it (I'm not talking about pirating games either!). Try www.xbox-scene.com for more info.

Until you've played 4 player Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Simpsons Arcade (same JAMMA PCB btw) in MAME-oX you really haven't lived. That is, of course, if you can FIND 3 other people to join you. HAH!
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."

Old 08-23-04, 12:23 AM   #57
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

i don't have enough money for an xbox and xbox games

my rig i got because i'm a lucky bastard and somehow managed to mangle enough money for it one holiday season... it's a very strange scientific oddity, as every christmas i've only gotten $100 worth of presents. of course, no more christmas for me =\.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 08-23-04, 12:27 AM   #58
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
Straight from ringworld, rather.

By the way, Halo would never work. It's not big enough.
What phrases? Which map room?

Are you talking the deplorable RingWorld game? Or the rather laborious RingWorld series of novels?

I love how you speak like a qualified astrophysicist too. Prove that Halo would not work. Not that I care either way. I *liked* the story. Which is entirely unrelated to RingWorld, no matter what you attempt too say.

Wee this is fun.
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU

Quote:
Old 08-23-04, 12:52 AM   #59
mezkal

Quote:
That's one of the biggest problems with consoles, they never upgrade. X-Box's graphics card was already outdated when the system came out. Even if the X-Box 2 uses whatever GeForce 9800s that premier when it goes into production, in six months the PC is going to outdo it. Plus X-Box has terrible jaggies, those guys need to figure out anti-aliasing.
BAW BOOOWM!

Wrong. Plain and utterly wrong.

Just because the XBOX's NV-X was based on GF3/4 archictecture don't just assume it's outdated.

So far we've only seen maybe 4-6 titles on PC in the last TWO YEARS that have taken any decent advantage of PS1.1/1.4 let alone PS 2.0 (Halo minorly, Far Cry and certain aspects of DOOM3 - most of which can be recreated on a PS 1.4 capable card).

Almost every XBOX game looks MUCH BETTER than it's PC equivalent. Resolution isn't everything you know. The major advantage of the XBOX is that it's a singular platform - Dev's don't have to support any *lowest common denominator". All XBOXs are the same. Unless you've been asleep for the last 3 years you'll note that most PC games have been DX6/7 class and not much more until very very recently. Almost every XBOX (and DreamCast for that matter) game has made rather extensive use of shader technology. The same just can't be said for PC games.

What gives with the console haters? Can't you guys get it through your thick skulls that there's room for ALL types of gaming? Your assumptions are WRONG. Worse yet thier entirely uneducated guesses.

XBOX supports AA right up to 9XS (Yes 9X, one level higher than Geforce FX's). The freeware Quake2 port supports this as a selectable mode. Most games, bar maybe 3 titles, support FSAA automatically, including Halo.

I have a rather nice Loewe Xelos Widescreen TV. All of my XBOX games support widescreen (a couple worse than others, 007: Nightfire for example) and all look SUPERB on it.

The comment that XBOX will be surpassed by PC is entirely erroneous. Just because PC owners have had DX9 class hardware available to them, it hasn't served much of purpose past being able to run some tech demos until quite recently.

The turnaround time from hardware sale to hardware being exploited is generally 6-12 months on PC. DOA3 and Halo on XBOX immediately exploited the graphics hardware on release. Second gen titles like Unreal Championship and Halo 2 still look better than anything on PC available right now, that includes DOOM3 and Far Cry. The XBOX is pushing shader boundaries, normal mapped details were pioneered in the HALO2 demos well before Crytek's CryEngine tech demos were publicised.

How many PC games have proper 5.1 soundtracks? Furthermore how many of these actually use acoustic modelling and occlusion culling throughout? Not many, certainly less than 50%. EVERY XBOX game supports 5.1. Most support accurate doppler shifting and occlusion culling. There's a lot to be said about a unified platform. That's one of the biggest reasons why game dev's have swarmed (eventually - look at EA's slowness for example) to the XBOX. Quicker turnaround times. One methodology for development and, more importantly, lower cost to support thier product.

Instead of bitching about consoles and taking incredibly badly aimed pot shots, just get one. Then you'll be able to enjoy the ride too
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU

Quote:
Old 08-23-04, 01:59 AM   #60
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quote:
X-Box's graphics card was already outdated when the system came out.
W00t? GF3 was top of the line still when XBox came out, so, no. nv2A sits squarely in between Gf3 and GF4 in terms of overall performance...

... heh, I wonder if there are any actual nv2A graphics cards floating around....

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Closed Thread