Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-04, 06:30 PM   #85
evilchris

Default Re: X-box owners screwed by Id!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW

I like my x-box because it has some good games. I loved Ninja Gaiden, Riddick, Panzer Dragoon etc. but its simply not technically better than today's PC.
Sound wise, I think it is better.
Old 08-23-04, 09:12 PM   #86
gmontem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
Uhh...You normally compare Apples with Gold Boxed Nashi Pears?

I mean you're right (as far as the card's power goes) but it's hardly a fair comparsion now is it?
Yeah it's not but I thought I'd try to compare the two with both machines exploited as best as they can. Would be interesting if DScaler was ported over to the XBox.
Old 08-23-04, 09:38 PM   #87
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontem
Yeah it's not but I thought I'd try to compare the two with both machines exploited as best as they can. Would be interesting if DScaler was ported over to the XBox.
I'm pretty sure the XBOX's DVD player does internal 3:2 Pulldown. Don't quote me on that. :P
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
Old 08-23-04, 10:01 PM   #88
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Halo was a shoddy PC port, but it still looks better on PC. It's just boring as ****. I have to say I can aim about 20x better on PC, for that matter.

Doom looks awesome at 640X480, and it looks fantastic at higher resolutions. I can't knock ID for that engine's scalability.

I don't feel like commenting on the infantile chatter.
Old 08-23-04, 10:27 PM   #89
sgio2
Chocolate

I played Doom 3 for the XBox @ Quakecon this year. IMO it wasnt that great. Everything was so blurry and the controls were terrible. I guess I may be biast playing on a PC w/ 6800 Ultra @ 1600X1200

Antec 900
4GB Corsair XMS Pro 3200 @ 2.5-3-2-5
ATI Radeon 3870HD 862 Core 1231 Mem
AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.44Ghz
Creative Audigy ZS 2
Twin WD 320GB SATA2
ABIT AT8 32X
Old 08-23-04, 10:37 PM   #90
mezkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
Halo was a shoddy PC port, but it still looks better on PC. It's just boring as ****. I have to say I can aim about 20x better on PC, for that matter.

Doom looks awesome at 640X480, and it looks fantastic at higher resolutions. I can't knock ID for that engine's scalability.

I don't feel like commenting on the infantile chatter.
Exactly who among us is adding "infantile chatter" to this thread? You've speculated about a very weak (and consequently disproved) connection between RingWold and Halo. You've decided that Halo "wouldn't work" (as if anyone give's a rat's - including Bungie - sheesh). You've told us you think it's a boring game (like we care what you think - I certainly don't) but it looks better on PC (in your glorious opinion again). Oh yes and you commented (rather ignorantly) on the size of the XBOX and it's controller. You haven't responded to anyone's replies to your posts. Not once.

We, on the other hand, have been enjoying ourselves quite thoroughly discussing and debating about the many merits and faliures of the XBOX vs the PC. I'm glad you see that as infantile chatter. We, obviously must be kids too you. Hmmm. I think what's really going on is that you have no idea what we're talking about. Poor you. Noone LEFT you out btw. Quite a few people replied to your posts (including me) and you only replied twice.

Now I know you "hate people". Man so do I sometimes. The world can be a right bitch and YES it can get you down (if you let it). Why not just avoid all that and actually discuss along with us. Noone's trying to brainwash you. Hell you might even learn something. But calling what we're discussing "infantile" certainly won't open any doors for you.

Back on topic...

Doom3's engine is not exactly the same deal on XBOX (from what I've been able to work out). Quite a few things (including model poly counts) had to be scaled back to get it working at any reasonable speed on the XBOX. The fact that id aren't doing the port gives me some cause for discomfort. Of course I *could* be wrong and damn well hope I am. It's one thing id passing over control of Quake 4 to Raven - they've worked together for MANY years and Raven started with FPS games back in the Origin/EA days with Shadowcaster even earlier back with Black Crypt for the Amiga. Vicarious Visions (porters of DOOM3) on the other hand have only really done Tony Hawk's UnderGround (THUG) and Crash Nitro - neither were real winners as far as I'm concerned. What do you think?
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
Old 08-24-04, 02:01 AM   #91
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Infantile chatter would be the ad hominems people throw at eachother.

X-Box controllers are literally huge, that's just a physical fact. They're some of the largest game controllers I've ever seen. I suppose if you liked gigantic controllers or had huge hands it wouldn't bother you, but I like to be able to reach buttons I intend to press.

I've only replied twice because a thread on X-Box is only periphrially interesting to me, and I haven't read 80% of the posts.

And aside from the scaling down of engine features and polycounts to get it running on X-Box, X-Box (and consoles in general) tend to have weak quality features. The texturing and AA on consoles has always been nonexistent to mediocre. I wouldn't even play original playstation games because of the awful no-AA.
Old 08-24-04, 02:23 AM   #92
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
Infantile chatter would be the ad hominems people throw at eachother.

X-Box controllers are literally huge, that's just a physical fact. They're some of the largest game controllers I've ever seen. I suppose if you liked gigantic controllers or had huge hands it wouldn't bother you, but I like to be able to reach buttons I intend to press.

I've only replied twice because a thread on X-Box is only periphrially interesting to me, and I haven't read 80% of the posts.

And aside from the scaling down of engine features and polycounts to get it running on X-Box, X-Box (and consoles in general) tend to have weak quality features. The texturing and AA on consoles has always been nonexistent to mediocre. I wouldn't even play original playstation games because of the awful no-AA.
Those controllers are gone now though, so that's a non issue. As far as Playstation games, what PC games did you play back then? No consumer gaming card did AA back then.

Old 08-24-04, 07:01 AM   #93
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Infantile chatter would be the ad hominems people throw at eachother
Or just passionate gamers, who are even more passionate about their hardware ?
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 08-24-04, 07:20 AM   #94
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
Doom3's engine is not exactly the same deal on XBOX (from what I've been able to work out). Quite a few things (including model poly counts) had to be scaled back to get it working at any reasonable speed on the XBOX. The fact that id aren't doing the port gives me some cause for discomfort.
It is going to be a lot different because of the scaling back but also the differences are more on the foundation fo the game and the system on which it will be running. The Xbox simply doesn't support OpenGL. The Xbox SDK is DirectX/Direct3D. I think the Doom 3 Xbox port will probably play a lot like Halo in terms of its performance - 30 fps with drops in the more intense areas. I'm failing to see how an Xbox port of this game could possibly run a lot better than that.

Quote:
Those controllers haven't been bundled with an Xbox for at least 18 months.
Old 08-24-04, 08:41 AM   #95
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

saturnotaku said it best. I'm failing to see how Doom 3 is going to measure up to the PC version when it basically has to be scaled back like crazy. I mean, maybe co-op will be neat, sorta, and I'll bet deathmatch will be better on X-Box, but overall it'll probably kinda suck comparatively.

And yeah, Chiemison, they stopped making the huge controller a long time ago. I can understand if you don't like the X-Box, but come on - no one's seen that thing in over a year.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 10:52 AM   #96
intercede007
American

Send a message via ICQ to intercede007 Send a message via AIM to intercede007 Send a message via MSN to intercede007 Send a message via Yahoo to intercede007

Personally I love how much more social multiplayer console gaming (forget about XBOX live and all that garbage) is compared to PC gaming. That's why I can't wait for Doom3 on the XBOX.

That's a big reason why I enjoyed Halo so much. Get a couple friends, invade the living room and have a blast. No monitors to look over, no headphones, don't have to figure out where to put PC's and if my fiancee is going to freak when she finds 6 monitors on our brand new dining table. 4 controllers and off we go (and maybe a trip to blockbuster for something differant).

Got my copy preordered. Can't wait
Closed Thread