Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-04, 10:56 AM   #97
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Default Re: X-box owners screwed by Id!

I agree, intercede007. I've always liked console (offline) multiplayer better, except of course PC LAN parties, but those are a lot harder and more expensive to set up. I have yet to enjoy a deathmatch the way I enjoyed playing Goldeneye on the 64 or old NES games way back in the day. Now that was fun!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 11:09 AM   #98
mezkal

I completely agree with you both. This is the thing that I think console haters really miss out on. There's nothing like it. Whole new genres of game have evolved from it.

Nothing beats 4 Player Co-Op Half life on Legendary. 'tis the sheet :P
Zalman CNPS 9700 HSF
Thermaltake Soprano Case w/ clear side door and all three fans mounted
Antec TruPower 2.0 PSU
Gigabyte Geforce 8600GTS Fanless
2 x Dvico Hybrid HDTV tuners
1 x Loewe 32" SDTV @ 1440x820 custom res via SVIDEO
(can't afford a new TV just yet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVJoe
In defense of Cooper Lawrence : "I hate gamers and the gaming community."
Old 08-24-04, 11:17 AM   #99
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I think many people are forgeting that few people have hardware that can run Doom 3 flawlessly on the PC. Sure, it scales well, but 90% of the computers out there aren't powerful enough to keep the game running above 20 FPS at all times. No, there's no way a $150 console can come anywhere near a high-end PC, that's not even debatable (speaking of graphics, of course). However, compared to the average gamer PC out there (which I'm guessing is around 2.0 ghz/GF4 or 9600?), the Xbox does quite well and offers a comparable experience.

And for the "average" PC user out there, the Xbox version is probably the best option. For example, lets take my friend who got his PC as a gift. It has a 2.9ghz celeron, 512 megs of ram, and "Intel Extreme Graphics" and NO AGP port ( ). How is he supposed to play Doom 3? I doubt any PCI graphics card could really run the game well, so his options are either to play the Xbox version, or upgrade his motherboard and video card. It would be great if the average pre-built PC would be good enough to play Doom 3, but unfortunatly games are an extremely low priority for companies like Dell, Compaq, and Gateway, and I think it's almost rather silly that people are practically forced to build thier own PCs just to get one that can play games for a decent price.

Also remember that this is talking about just the graphics, it's not the core of the game (well, then again I guess in most ID games graphics ARE the core of the game ). Some people might not mind having worse-looking character models and fuzzy textures in exchange for voice-chat and coop play. Personally, I'm looking forward to the mods on the PC version, I really hope there are actually some good single-player ones released rather than just having a slew of multiplayer mods like most games have.
Old 08-24-04, 11:55 AM   #100
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Yeah I agree with Edge 100%. That's a good point about the average gamer's PC, and I'm pissed that I didn't make it earlier! But yes, bang-for-your-buck wise, consoles kick the everloving crap out of PCs any day of the week.

I'm hoping someone does a good single player TC too. Maybe a remake of the old Aliens mod for Doom? Now that would be cool!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 02:45 PM   #101
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
And for the "average" PC user out there, the Xbox version is probably the best option. For example, lets take my friend who got his PC as a gift. It has a 2.9ghz celeron, 512 megs of ram, and "Intel Extreme Graphics" and NO AGP port ( ). How is he supposed to play Doom 3? I doubt any PCI graphics card could really run the game well, so his options are either to play the Xbox version, or upgrade his motherboard and video card. It would be great if the average pre-built PC would be good enough to play Doom 3, but unfortunatly games are an extremely low priority for companies like Dell, Compaq, and Gateway, and I think it's almost rather silly that people are practically forced to build thier own PCs just to get one that can play games for a decent price.
Ok, I agree with what you are saying, somewhat. But who's to blame ? The "Average" gamer, or the PC ?

But lets swing this around a moment.
Lets take Mr Average "Console" gamer. He's just bought a PS2 to play Doom3, and Half-Life 2, only to find out he can't. Who's to blame ? Mr Average ? or the PS2 ?
You can't go blaming the PS2 for not being powerful enough. Mr Average should of done his homework before he got the PS2.

Now take your friend. He now has a choice. Does he fork out $150+ for an Xbox ? Or does he upgrade and benefit from other great games ?
For that money, he could get a half-decent motherboard, and either a 9600 128Mb, or a GF4 Ti4200.
Those two would definately allow him to play Doom3, Farcry, HL2, etc.. albeit 800x600 max. But hey, it would still be better than the Xbox versions.

Now on to Co-op games on the same TV. Great, IMHO, but upto a certain age, or at least early on in your life. But a lot of us are now either married, married with kids, or have a live-in girlfriend. This is no longer an option, and can cause many a few rifts.
Most of my mates here, are now married and with kids. We all now have extra rooms in our houses, or conservatories attached to the house in which we play small LAN games.
Hardware is cheap, and we all have spare monitors, keyboards, Routers, etc.. So it's just a case of taking your PC round, hooking it up, and your off. And IMO, nothing beats having your own space AND your own screen.
Sure, we all love some Mario Kart, Super Monkey Ball, and Mario Party, etc.. on our Gamecubes.
But playing fps games, on the same screen, just doesn't do it for any of us. Where's the stealth ? Where's the challenge when you can see where everone is hiding ?
Just my opinion.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
SBLive Platinum + Livedrive II - 7 years old and STILL going strong
Windows XP Pro SP2
Old 08-24-04, 03:31 PM   #102
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K.Tronics
Ok, I agree with what you are saying, somewhat. But who's to blame ? The "Average" gamer, or the PC ?

But lets swing this around a moment.
Lets take Mr Average "Console" gamer. He's just bought a PS2 to play Doom3, and Half-Life 2, only to find out he can't. Who's to blame ? Mr Average ? or the PS2 ?
You can't go blaming the PS2 for not being powerful enough. Mr Average should of done his homework before he got the PS2.
That makes no sense. What he was saying was that the average gamer doesn't want to spend 2000+ bucks on a new PC to play Doom 3, so he'll take the $150 X-Box to play the same game.

Quote:
Now take your friend. He now has a choice. Does he fork out $150+ for an Xbox ? Or does he upgrade and benefit from other great games ?
For that money, he could get a half-decent motherboard, and either a 9600 128Mb, or a GF4 Ti4200.
Those two would definately allow him to play Doom3, Farcry, HL2, etc.. albeit 800x600 max. But hey, it would still be better than the Xbox versions.

Now on to Co-op games on the same TV. Great, IMHO, but upto a certain age, or at least early on in your life. But a lot of us are now either married, married with kids, or have a live-in girlfriend. This is no longer an option, and can cause many a few rifts.
Well, with the X-Box, there's a whole lot of games available. And please point out to me where you can get a decent motherboard AND video card for $150. As for your comments about co-op games on the TV...wow, what a sad life you must lead. So when you get a family or girlfriend you can no longer have your friends over to hang around? I don't understand how having a good time with your pals causes "many a few rifts".

Quote:
Hardware is cheap, and we all have spare monitors, keyboards, Routers, etc.. So it's just a case of taking your PC round, hooking it up, and your off. And IMO, nothing beats having your own space AND your own screen.
Sure, we all love some Mario Kart, Super Monkey Ball, and Mario Party, etc.. on our Gamecubes.
But playing fps games, on the same screen, just doesn't do it for any of us. Where's the stealth ? Where's the challenge when you can see where everone is hiding ?
Just my opinion.
Hardware isn't cheap for everyone, and not a whole lot of people have spare keyboards and monitors lying around. Maybe you and your friends do, but most people don't, especially casual gamers. X-Box Live is my answer to your final comment about stealth and challenge.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 03:34 PM   #103
Arioch

I am more of a PC gamer and I can see playing Doom 3 on the Xbox. Hell, there is little to no AI in the game, everything comes straight at you for the most part anyway.
Old 08-24-04, 04:37 PM   #104
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
That makes no sense. What he was saying was that the average gamer doesn't want to spend 2000+ bucks on a new PC to play Doom 3, so he'll take the $150 X-Box to play the same game.
Made perfect sense to me, but hey. And who spends 2000+ bucks on a new PC ?

Quote:
And please point out to me where you can get a decent motherboard AND video card for $150.
I said a half-decent motherboard (KT400 chipset) + 9600 Radeon 128Mb card. Here in the UK I can get both for the equivalent of $150.

Quote:
As for your comments about co-op games on the TV...wow, what a sad life you must lead. So when you get a family or girlfriend you can no longer have your friends over to hang around? I don't understand how having a good time with your pals causes "many a few rifts"
Wow, I guess when you are 14 years old, you see life as one big party. Well I've got news for you, when you grow up, life becomes a LOT more harder. But I guess when you DO eventually grow up (there's always hope), you'll find out. I like the sad bit as well, considering you know jack sh*t about me or my life.

Quote:
Hardware isn't cheap for everyone, and not a whole lot of people have spare keyboards and monitors lying around. Maybe you and your friends do, but most people don't, especially casual gamers. X-Box Live is my answer to your final comment about stealth and challenge.
Funny how one moment you are talking about 3+ grand HDTV's, and expensive big TV's. Then next you come out with THAT BS. Keyboards cost 1 here, Mice from 60p. Routers from 15. Seconds-hand 17" monitors for 20-30. Yep, mighty expensive that.

Quote:
X-Box Live is my answer to your final comment about stealth and challenge.
Thats your anwer, lol. A yearly subscription service, while the rest of play for free !!
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2

Old 08-24-04, 04:46 PM   #105
evilchris

XBL provides a lot more content than "free online PC gaming". Just can it man, you aren't making educated opinions as you don't have XBL.

Guess what else "Mr. Grown Up"? I am 29, have a wife, 2 kids, work 50 hours a week, spend time with my family, ( and get this ) play multiplayer Xbox games at my house with friends! My wife doesn't even mind and is happy that I gain enjoyment from it! That's what marriage is about. Sorry your relationship sucks. Life doesn't get harder as you get older either, unless you are a screw up. It is different, but I enjoy each day every bit as much as I did growing up, even moreso. You are acting like the youngest, most immature person here so you should stop commenting on "growing up".
Old 08-24-04, 04:50 PM   #106
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

You're fun, D.K.! I hope you stick around forever!

Quote:
Made perfect sense to me, but hey. And who spends 2000+ bucks on a new PC ?
I'm sure it did make sense to you. But, it made no sense at all in the context of the conversation, which is what I was referring to. And to answer your question, a top of the line PC (all components new) costs around $2000, give or take.

Quote:
I said a half-decent motherboard (KT400 chipset) + 9600 Radeon 128Mb card. Here in the UK I can get both for the equivalent of $150.
Brand names are a big deal pal. A ****ty $30 ECS mobo doesn't count as "decent". And that's still too low a price.

Quote:
Wow, I guess when you are 14 years old, you see life as one big party. Well I've got news for you, when you grow up, life becomes a LOT more harder. But I guess when you DO eventually grow up (there's always hope), you'll find out. I like the sad bit as well, considering you know jack sh*t about me or my life.
Don't you patronize me, you presumptuous prick. I'm 23 years old. I work a full-time job at a financial advisement firm and support myself completely and so do all my friends. We still have time on the weekends to hang out and enjoy each others' company, even though most of us have girlfriends/wives/families. I don't need to know anything about your life to know it's sad that playing video games with your friends is an issue with your family.

Quote:
Funny how one moment you are talking about 3+ grand HDTV's, and expensive big TV's. Then next you come out with THAT BS. Keyboards cost 1 here, Mice from 60p. Routers from 15. Seconds-hand 17" monitors for 20-30. Yep, mighty expensive that.
Funny how I never said anything about 3+ grand TVs. You've confused me with someone else. Regardless of how much that stuff costs, and those prices are WAY too low to be talking about new/not crappy peripherals, the average gamer does not have extras lying around, seeing as to most people there would be no point.

Quote:
Thats your anwer, lol. A yearly subscription service, while the rest of play for free !!
Yeah, $50 a year, that's a little over $4 a month. Wow, that's a bank-breaker. The benefit? Voice support in every game, and an all-broadband user base. For 4 bucks a month, that's not bad at all, especially considering the low price of the console.

Consoles are an affordable alternative to PCs. That's all I've said. I don't understand why you're trying to argue with me, unless it's personal (since I have ruined your **** in previous discussions). If that's the case, you can PM me.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 08-24-04, 04:56 PM   #107
evilchris

D.K. .

Just drop it now and avoid looking further like a jerk. You aren't "31337" because you think PC's are better than consoles. The average Xbox gamer, according to numerous surveys, is 26. There went your "kids" argument.
Old 08-24-04, 05:34 PM   #108
D.K.Tronics
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Guess what else "Mr. Grown Up"? I am 29, have a wife, 2 kids, work 50 hours a week, spend time with my family, ( and get this ) play multiplayer Xbox games at my house with friends! My wife doesn't even mind and is happy that I gain enjoyment from it! That's what marriage is about. Sorry your relationship sucks. Life doesn't get harder as you get older either, unless you are a screw up. It is different, but I enjoy each day every bit as much as I did growing up, even moreso. You are acting like the youngest, most immature person here so you should stop commenting on "growing up".
Wow, when you have nothing good to say, you throw around silly little insults that kids use. If I had 1 for everytime someone mentioned the words grow up, I'd be a freaking millionaire. Guess thats your way of a cop-out, instead of a discussion.
BTW, me and my friends, and families enjoy going out, travelling, going on holidays, and enjoying things that involve conversation, and other people. But if sad little individuals think it's better to sit crowded around a TV playing computer games, then whatever floats your boat.

Quote:
Brand names are a big deal pal. A ****ty $30 ECS mobo doesn't count as "decent". And that's still too low a price.
Never heard of MSI, or Asus, then ? OR Connect3D ? or Hightech ?

Quote:
Don't you patronize me, you presumptuous prick. I'm 23 years old. I work a full-time job at a financial advisement firm and support myself completely and so do all my friends. We still have time on the weekends to hang out and enjoy each others' company, even though most of us have girlfriends/wives/families. I don't need to know anything about your life to know it's sad that playing video games with your friends is an issue with your family.
Wow, you're 23 ? Shouldn't that be 13 ? Judging by the way you get all angry and worked up like a teenager, lol.
And unfortunately, not all woman like computer games. But you would know that if you've had one. I love my GF, my mates love their wives. None of them like computers, or consoles, some of them even have a hatred of them.
But you see, it's not just about YOU, it's also about her.
While you're at home with your mates playing your games, I'm out with my GF, my mates and their wives and friends. See, we do stuff **together**, and away from computers and consoles.

Quote:
Consoles are an affordable alternative to PCs. That's all I've said. I don't understand why you're trying to argue with me, unless it's personal (since I have ruined your **** in previous discussions). If that's the case, you can PM me.
See, there you go again. You fail to read the bits about I own both. Infact, all 3 consoles. But thats the bit you like to skip over. I defend the PC more, because there are way too many a-holes that would love the death of the PC. There's also way too many people moaning and bitching about PC's and gaming, when 99% of the time the problem is sat on the chair.

Quote:
Just drop it now and avoid looking further like a jerk. You aren't "31337" because you think PC's are better than consoles. The average Xbox gamer, according to numerous surveys, is 26. There went your "kids" argument.
No, the jerk is always the one that can't provide a discussion. They throw around insults, and think narrow mindedly that there's only one side to a discussion. And I wouldn't even know what "31337" speak is, so quite what BS you are on about now. Course, if you understand that yourself, then you look kind of silly, don't you.
1 Gb PC3700 Corsair RAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
Closed Thread