Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-04, 01:40 PM   #1
rsarson

Default gnome resolutions

Hello!

I have a weird problem with changing my resolutions in gnome. If I'm root in gnome or kde or if i'm a regular user in kde, ctrl + + works fine, cycling through all of my available resolutions. If I'm a regular user in gnome, however, I can only cycle through three of the available resolutions. I'm not sure if it's a permissions thing or xorg.conf or something else... please help.

Also, is it normal that when you use ctrl + + to cycle through your resolutions, you have to move your mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll to the unviewable area? Shouldn't I be able to see my whole desktop, just smaller or bigger, depending on my resolution setting, like when I change the resolution in display settings or is this by design? (the purpose of which, I would then not fully understand)

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
rsarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 02:04 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: gnome resolutions

Check your xorg.conf file, likely it is something in there. Further note that you can also do REAL resolution switching these days using the tool "xrandr". When you are in lets say 1024x768 you can move to a real 800x600 desktop.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 02:26 PM   #3
rsarson

Default Re: gnome resolutions

Hey Thunderbird!

Thanks for the quick reply! "xrandr" works great. I'm glad you showed that to me.

btw, there's nothing in my xorg.conf that I can tell would affect the resolutions restrictions that happen when I'm a regular user in gnome. If there were such a thing, wouldn't it affect a regular user in KDE, as well? (Excuse me if I sound ignorant... I'm still fairly new to this stuff.)

Anyway, with "xrandr", I can get the resolutions I want in gnome, and I don't have to scroll to see my desktop, so I'm happy.

Thanks again,
Ryan
rsarson is offline   Reply With Quote