Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-04, 06:38 PM   #1
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Default Why Doesn't Realistic Sniping Exist in Shooters?

First off accuracy in FPS games is terrible. Any random moron could shoot a pistol better than these supposedly hardened space marines can with their super laserguns. But that aside, why is sniping range in FPS games like 200'? The Rainbow Six series had fairly realistic weapon accuracy and damage, but the sniping range was still pathetically short (which is too bad, considering the book had Homer and Dieter at realistic sniping ranges - 250+ meters from the target) - which made sniper rifles basically useless, as an assault rifle would work just as well, if not better. The Delta Force series had fairly realistic weapons and sniping ranges, thanks to that voxel engine or whatever it was called, but another game with giant levels, Starseige: Tribes, had a worthless sniper rifle - it did crap damage, the projectile was slow and visible (funny, considering a laser would move at lightspeed and be invisible, unless it hit you directly in the eye, at which point it would be irrelevant because you'd be dead).
Also, why are energy guns both slow moving and visible? A laser, even in a visible light band (unlikely) would still be invisible, because all the light is traveling in ONE direction, towards the TARGET, and there is nothing to 'glow' off to the side. Also it would move ******* lightspeed, and you couldn't see it anyways. You MIGHT be able to dodge a bullet, but it's basically physically impossible to dodge a laser.

And of course there's the spiel about 'but it's just a game'. Well some of these games try to be realistic, and even when they're not, why are they always unrealistic in the same retarded ways? Why not have slow moving bullets and instantaneous, invisible lasers?
Old 08-22-04, 07:15 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs down Re: Why Doesn't Realistic Sniping Exist in Shooters?

As you said its a game and games usually suppose to be fun not frustrating or boreing , slow visible lazer is SciFy fun , and youd need alot more powerfull PC to make giant landscapes detailed to fully use long range sniper rifles.... i do like realistic body damage and small arms but at the end its Kids playing game , and devs are forced to balance/gimp/ screw effects of real weapons. Becouse everyone whines... and or uses one and same gun

What we do need is separate class for Mature rated games , with more realism/gore where its not suppose to be fun but rather , horrible and bloody real war like experiance

Oh yeah creating very high level physic engine is kinda hard , you need realy top PCs , developers greedy corporations always put Cash above anything else thats why we have crappy T rated games and PG13 movies, they target as mutch public as possible as many PC users... ect ect
Old 08-22-04, 07:38 PM   #3
Holy Smoke

Default Re: Why Doesn't Realistic Sniping Exist in Shooters?

Aye, but now that Doom3 has brought per-poly hit detection maybe we'll start seeing more one-shot kills based on hit location in games.
Old 08-22-04, 09:14 PM   #4
BrownHornet
HUBBA HUBBA HUBBA

AArmy has done a pretty decent job on sniping, where they added breathing in. just breating at the wrong time without a bipod can send your aim off considerbly.
BrownHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 09:41 AM   #5
LycosV

Operation Flashpoint has some great realism for shooting. It has extremely long distances and bullet drop.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:06 AM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Cheimison, there was an Unreal (1) mod out a long time ago called Serpentine. You'd have loved that, it had the most realistic bullet and gun physics I've ever seen in a game, including new ones. You actually had to lead a moving target to hit it, and it also allowed you to aim down the sight. It changed all the weapons to real guns and was a lot of fun, but unfortunately ended up being pretty obscure. If you still have Unreal lying around, you should check it out here. To put the time-frame in perspective, this mod pre-dates Counter-Strike.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:22 AM   #7
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

Tribes sniper rifle was instant hit weapon, you didn't have to lead the target. Plus it's very possible to see a laser. Grab a laser pointer. Granted its not a very powerful laser, but you can see the beam. Also, many sci fi settings don't use lasers. There are tons of various sci-fi "energy" weapons, phasers, plasma based, EM, etc. As LycosV already pointed out, Flashpoint games are awesome for sniping.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 10:26 AM   #8
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

It should be pointed out that the world "laser gun" is used to describe any sci-fi gun that shoots energy-based projectiles, not actual lasers. There's a threshold for reasonable complaints about realism in games, and we've just flown past it faster than a bullet in Call of Duty.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 08-23-04, 11:24 AM   #9
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

and while we're on this, whats the deal with the inaccurate portrayals of demons? why are they so weak? i know that in real life, an imp (d3) would kill you in a second. how can hell expect to win if their minions are so weak that they get their asses kicked by one marine. also, why do hell knights only walk? cant they run, or even jog? with all that muscle, you'd think they could move a little faster.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:00 PM   #10
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Because everybody knows hell knights are lazy bastards.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 01:09 PM   #11
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Now I object to you saying the demons would kill us instantly, get me angry enough and ill chew a path through those buggers
Old 08-23-04, 02:33 PM   #12
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

And I'll kick them all in the testes and run away screaming.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410